Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • One tyre all year
  • freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

coogan

High Rollers. Changing them every season seems nuts to me. Much like having a 'winter bike'.

😆 I agree on both counts

I use HR on the rear and Nobby Nic up front, sized depending on the bike (2.1s on the weight weenie SS, 2.35/4 on the Evil) works for me year round. ofc I could get better mud performance out of a specific mud tyre but these are great allrounders aswell as superb tyres in their own right

as for "winter" bikes, ofc I have one, at least that's what I tell mrs Fascist it is. In reality it's just an excuse for another bike!

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

Nobby nics for me. 2.25 flavour. Tried many others and they just didn't seem as versatile.

Just put some of the new 2010 nobby nics on the new bike, cant wait to try those after the review they got.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

kenda nevegal for me.

most tyres seem pretty similar to me though!

oldgit
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs
    Seriously, they have pin like grip and are great on off cambers. They have been perfectly fine all winter in ice snow rain and axle deep mud.

On the other hand I doubt that I would have ran them all year when I was riding s/s.

DezB
    Free Member

Solo – Member
    Bontrager Mud X, for all year round.

Not impressed though with the "tubeless ready" claim. I've tried, they've been a PITA tubeless

You haven't followed the instructions, have you..

I think Hutchinson Toros are a good all-rounder. Only used them in mud so far, so not entirely sure.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Mud tyres all year!
    Nothing like resitance training, eh?
    Swap out to a RR in the summer and feel the wind in your hair again.
    My Bonty Mud X was a pig to fit (2.0 front) but the ACX (2.2 rear) was much easier. As soon as it drys out, RR go back on again.
    Really don't see the issue changing tyres twice a year, we do the same with the clocks and the central heating.
    Can't be a £ issue, so what is it?

austen

High Roller front, Ignitor-worn-almost-slick rear. Seem to work for most things most of the time, rear traction is for wimps…

yunki
    Free Member

ok… well I'm definately from the one pair of tyres, replace as they fall off school of thought…
    I've just taken advantage of the on0one spesh offer on conti mountain kings 2.0
    has anyone got anything to report about them..? (they arrive later today so they are going on anyway…)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'm a 'wet season' and 'dry season changer'.

However, if I was forced to have one year round tyre, it would be something like a Bontrager Mud-X (My current winter tyre – they roll really well considering their mud performance, (but they do fall short in the thick sticky mud compared to say, Panaracer Trailrakers), or a Bontrager ACX which has a fairly open tread.

In reality, I prefer something a little faster in the summer, like a Maxxis ADvantage or a Kenda small block 8. I've yet to try anything from Schwalbe, but I do fancy trying some nobby nics or a racing ralph.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Nicks puncture too easily and they wear far too quickly, esp' up by the contact patch with the rim.
    2 yrs with several of them and I've moved away as there are better tyres with far greater longevity at a similar price point or better.
    I'm very impressed with Bonty tyres of late.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Fire XC Pro 2.1s all year round for me.
    It's not so much that I can't be bothered to swap tyres over (although I can't really!) as that I don't really want to get into trying to see what's better when I think the enormous range of factors makes it very hard to tell if you've wasted your money or not.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Nobby Nic 2.1s. Amazing. Fast but grip. No mud tyre but good enough and predictable. This question will never have one answer though – everyone has their own opinion, which is why my bike is also different from yours!

souldrummer
    Free Member

Nevegal and Blue Groove @ 2.35 on the Alpine and 2.25 Cinders on the Soul has always worked for me. My riding ability is rubbish enough without having to factor in changing tyres for every type of terrain!

jimster
    Free Member

I'm of the fit and forget mentallity – WTB Veloceraptor's atm, mainly because I can't afford 2 or 3 different sets of tyres and the hassle aspect of changing them whenever I want to ride on the limited time I get.

repatriot
    Free Member

Really like rubber queens, fast rolling and big volume. Recently tried Advantage 2.4 and really impressed with these too, both great tyres.
    Just bought myself some Swampthings 2.3 SP for riding in really sloppy condition as the snow melts etc. Grip is incredible but like riding with chains on on the road.

JtotheP68
    Free Member

Hutchinson Pythons virtually all year round, occasionally use Trailrakers if its really muddy and I can be bothered changing them. I don't think tyres make that much difference unless its really muddy. Its just kit obsession on the part of a lot of riders, plus its an easy excuse blaming tyres when really most of it is down to skill.

Ti29er
    Free Member

MrS.
    Isn't this a rather odd burry-head-in-sand approach to bike kit?
    The XC Pro is a sound general purpose tyre, but boy, are they draggy! YOu can even them them dragging.

Jim: The idea that you can afford to run a bike, riding kit, feeding, hydration, spares, servicing, any upgrades, replacement pads, lubrication, tools, accessories, replacement moving parts, esp' rear cassette, front ring(s), chains and all that jazz – but not own 2x sets of tyres is utter nonsence. FFS OnOne are selling theirs for a tenner.

xcstu
    Free Member

Same camp as oldgit – Racing Ralph on both bikes all year… been surprised how well they have coped 😉 just started trying a rocket ron on the front…

I do like to change tyres mind for racing.. Between panaracer razors, nobby nics, trailrakers and above depending on conditions!

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

Dickbarton,

2.1 highrollers are different kettle of fish from the 2.35's to be honest. don't know hwy but the 2.1s are a bit sketchy, the 2.35's are grippy tastic, except in muddy mud – but swamp things are good for that;)

Chris

oldgit
    Free Member

I was thinking of trying Rocket Rons next.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Someone else mention Conti verticals.
    Absolutely amazing in the snow – nothing comes close.
    Completely Unpredictable in the mud at speed – when others were just fine – it's the day you find this out by almost ending in the barbed wire, at speed, more than once that scared me!
    + THE most draggy tyre I've ever tried.
    Trailrakers for really horrible mud – it's amazing what they can deal with.

xcstu
    Free Member

Oldgit – Been quite impressed with the rocket ron..

come up a bit narrow but with the weather being so crap I have only been able to try them out in mud/wet at the moment…

KT1973
    Free Member

Hutcheson Python 2.0 is the fastest dry weather xc tyre I've used but I've gone face first on slippery wood/roots on numerous occasions with this- and that's an instant loss of grip with no warning.
    Using Racing Ralphs at the moment, but haven't/wouldn't take them through heavy mud. I expected these (RRs) to be faster than they are though.
    Kenda Blue Groove are good offroad but hoover you onto tarmac. I went out with a friend who I'm usually faster than and couldn't get near him with these on (on the road). I actually had to stop and get off and check what the problem was- I though I had a flat.

TooTall
    Free Member

Bonty ACX all year round on my Scandal. Never had a problem with them, never felt the need to get all 'Ti29er' on tyres – thats just strange.

If you are pressing down on your tyres with 250lbs, they will find grip 😀

mttm
    Free Member

Advantage 2.25" – the thinking man's Highroller 2.35 😉

isibson
    Free Member

Currently Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1s on my full suss, and Panaracer Trailraker 2.1 on my singlespeed (since it's intended to ride in mud, snow, muck etc where I can't be bothered cleaning/maintaining drivetrain, rear shock, etc). When the Fires wear out I'll probably go to Rampage 2.35s on that bike.

Ti29er
    Free Member

The ACX is an absolutely excellent tyre (I think they have stopped making them BTW). But too slow in the dry summer months when you're entering the likes of Bonty, Clic, SITS, Mayhem, Kielder, Meridas, etc – and all points in between.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Isn't this a rather odd burry-head-in-sand approach to bike kit?
    The XC Pro is a sound general purpose tyre, but boy, are they draggy! YOu can even them them dragging.

What I meant was that if I get some, say, new forks I can tell reasonably objectively if they're an improvement or not, but with tyres they might actually be great but seem crap over a first couple of rides in one place in one set of conditions…

Actually I don't even know what I meant now. I was just making excuses for my tyre-changing laziness I think.

10pmix
    Free Member

I have 2 or 3 sets per bike and 4 bikes. What have I become? The space they take up in the shed is no laughing matter either..

Some from my collection….

HRs 2.1s have no grip in the mud but are ace on hard summer trails. HRs 2.35 are too slow in the mud.

WTB Timberwolfs 2.3 grip in the mud like no tyre I have ever come across (even Trailrakers) and roll well too.

Bontrager Mud X 2.1 are great pretty much all year as are Maxxis Advantage 2.1. Panaracer Cinders also are a good all year choice.

Nevegal Tomac Stick-Es were the worse tyres I ever had – no grip in the bends and wore out in a few months (ooh…controversial)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I found I couldn't even get a dry season out of a Nevegal. Still, I suppose I get a semi-slick for the supper dry bits of the year.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Tried lots of tyres, quite like maxxis larsen TT for summer and stick 2.3 Conti Vert Pro's back on for winter months. Nevegals grip well, to well for me and wear really quickly. Fastest tyres I've ever used are the ones off my wife's hybrid Raleigh, semi slicks, no grip but boy do they fly!

Anybody tried Maxxis Aspens yet? The 2.25 seems like it could be a good all rounder.

br
    Free Member

Bontrager Mud X, for all year round.

Not impressed though with the "tubeless ready" claim. I've tried, they've been a PITA tubeless, but that aside, run them with tubes and its my all-round tyre.

You're having a laugh – have you never tried a decent summer tyre on dry trails – you can run a couple of gears higher, for no effort.

I'm running Mud X's at the moment on XM819's tubeless, no problems whatsoever – managed about 500 miles so far, and the sealant is still liquid (as I found out yesterday when pulling thorns out of them).

Dibbs
    Free Member

Maxxis Larsens work fine for me on the Quantocks, OK they're not perfect on wet squidgy grass but I can live with it. Here's an idea, pick a tyre, ride within its limitations and get on with your life!!!

Bosh
    Free Member

I have 2.35 hard compound high rollers on all of my bikes all year round.

Ti29er
    Free Member

On my car, it's one-tyre-all-year.
    On my m'bike it's similar-ish. Actually have 2 sets of wheels, one road tyre, one with slicks.

I guess because we don't have our own tyre changing facilities at home, whereas changing a mtn bike's 2x tyres is a 20 minute job, unless you're tubeless, or lazy 😉

As is stated earlier, you can gain an extra 2 gears in the dry months with a fast rolling tyre and still keep her sunny-side up out on the trails. This can really put a huge grin on your face and make some trails sections so much easier / quicker & your ability to overtake at least someone out there a distinct possibility!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Nobby Nics pretty much all year here.Might swap the rear to a Ralph if/when the ground dries out,but find the NN is a good all rounder particularly given the very mixed surfaces that I ride on.

obirobkeno
    Free Member

Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1's on the long travel HT, some IRC balloons on the SS. I like the Fires, just what I'm used to and the IRCs? Just what I had lying around when I built it. 😉

bigbloke
    Free Member

Nobby Nics all year for me 2.25 very good in my opinion. No doubt someone will come along and say NN ….too expensive….they get punctures etc etc.

I have had no more punctures using them than i did than when i had Kenda Nevegals and WTB Motoraptors.

They roll well, grip well , not a mud tyre but still cope well in the sticky stuff. Pricey …yes, but worth it for me as i really like them and if you look around they can be found for a reasonable price .

iainc

full susser – Rampage 2.35 all yr round

hard tail – 2.1 fire xc pro's for the 2 months of scottish summer, 2.1 trailrakers the other 10 months 🙂

ononeorange

Wish I could settle to a tyre. I like the Speed Kings, but they are far too puncture prone. NN's tend to shred too easily on the flints, and I haven't found them very good in deep mud (all we have round these parts, although did someone above say it was going to dry out this year?!).

Trying out an ACX but finding it heavy after the Speed Kings, but I suppose it would be.

May try some Ignitors in the summer – if it ever comes…..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘One tyre all year’ is closed to new replies.