Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • On One Ti 456 cracked!
  • TheBishop
    Free Member

My 2009 on one ti 456 has developed a crack by the head tube after only 16 month. I bought it because all the hype says a Ti bike will last forever. I didn’t realise “forever” was such a short time!

The great news is that it has a lifetime warranty and so it is back off to Lynskey for repair or replacement.

On one have been pretty good so far having arranged collection swiftly.

Anyone else had a ti 456 problem?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Yes. Twice.

But plenty on here said I was somehow making it up.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A few, yes.

On-One is being pretty good/sorting you out, etc, so perhaps a little impolite/unfair to start a thread about one of their frames breaking?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Because they are honouring their warranty you can’t discuss the issue in an open forum?

That must be the small print that no-one reads.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Heard a few stories about other manufacturers as well. Is Ti more or less reliable than other materials? Are people just more likely to post if it’s a ti frame due to it’s “frame for life” reputation? Quite tempted by a ti frame so am curious.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I would have read the OP as a positive one, not a negative one.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

You’re new round here aren’t you? 😆

40mpg

Ti is just as likely to break as any other frame material. However it won’t corrode or lose its ‘springiness’ as much as steel or aluminium.

nickf
    Free Member

I’ve ridden my wife’s 456 Ti extensively and I’m a heavy bugger. I’m also not known for my finesse.

After several years of this, the frame’s still fine; I’m confident that if it cracks, On-One will sort me out.

boxfish
    Free Member

I have broken a Ti hardtail frame. Lifetime warranty does not imply the frame will last forever!

DaveRambo

Lifetime warranty does not imply the frame will last forever!

Nothing lasts forever, it’s the nature of the universe, but it does imply that the manufacturer believes most will last a very long time as it costs them to replace/repair.

boxfish
    Free Member

Lifetime warranty…does imply that the manufacturer believes most will last a very long time

‘Most’ being the key word.

ash

geordiemick00 – Member

You’re new round here aren’t you?

YOU’RE new round here aren’t you?

Northwind

mrblobby – Member

Heard a few stories about other manufacturers as well. Is Ti more or less reliable than other materials?

Just like every material, it depends entirely on how it’s made.

R.lepecha

Ti is just as likely to break as any other frame material. However it won’t corrode or lose its ‘springiness’ as much as steel or aluminium.

Steel does not lose its ‘springyness’ does it? It just fatigues so flexes more and more until it snaps.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Steel does not lose its ‘springyness’ does it? It just fatigues so flexes more and more until it snaps.

does it?

MrSmith
    Free Member

you could argue it work hardens until it’s brittleness causes failure, if you were a metallurgist….

philjunior
    Free Member

From what I know of the Ti 456 (I think I might’ve been the first person to break one – luckily at the back end not the head tube, unluckily after having it for about 2 months) and Ti in general (I work as an engineer…), I think the problem is twofold.

1) The bike companies hype up the durability of ti frames – so people expect the frames to last as long as the hype says.

2) The bike designers maybe believe the hype a bit too much themselves and push things a bit too far when speccing Ti frame tubes etc.

As above, Ti frames can last a very long time, but so can a well made steel, aluminium or carbon frame. And it mostly depends how well designed and built they are, not on the theoretical benefits of any of the materials.

To be fair to On-One, none of the other stuff of theirs I have has broken (over a much longer period of time than I ever had the Ti 456), and that includes 2 steel frames, carbon forks and a fair few aluminium bits. They did also replace the frame quickly under warranty. I’d definately buy something not made of Ti from them again.

From other people I know who’ve owned a variety of Ti frames, they seem no more likely to last you for life than anything else.

br
    Free Member

I managed to **** my 456Ti frame. I spoke with On One and after trying to ‘fix’ it sent it back to them and they passed it on to Lynskey. It was returned fully fixed for a small fee covering postage/insurance etc and a new rear d/s triangle.

Only downside was that it took the best part of 4 months…, but then it was me that had knackered it.

And can we just stop this expensive frame crap, compared to the average FS, they are not expensive.

timc
    Free Member

mike-at-dialledbikes – Member
    On-One is being pretty good/sorting you out, etc, so perhaps a little impolite/unfair to start a thread about one of their frames breaking?

behave…

timc
    Free Member

b r – Member

And can we just stop this expensive frame crap, compared to the average FS, they are not expensive.

errr…

R.lepecha

you could argue it work hardens until it’s brittleness causes failure, if you were a metallurgist….

That’s true but generally unless your frame flexes loads(I mean massive amounts), then a steel frame can easily last a life time.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with a ti 456. This being mainly due to the fact that I’ve never had a ti456.

snowpaul
    Free Member

i have cracked a lovely ’boutique’ ti frame too – twice – they arent indestructable – but a joy to ride!

paul

jonrambo
    Free Member

On one 456- if u feel u gotta have one, dont put a 6″ fork on it, these frames are xc only! If u dont break it, yer not riding it hard enuff baby! 😆

poppa
    Free Member

Err ok.

Kahurangi

On one 456- if u feel u gotta have one, dont put a 6″ fork on it, these frames are xc only!

I can’t tell if this post is sarcastic or not. You do know the idea behind the ‘Inbred 456’, right?

stoney
    Free Member

+1 with John Taylor…..4″, 5″, 6″….thats what its designed for right ❓

P.S. Ive thrown mine down most of what the Lake District has to offer and yes i may be 65kg but i dont ride it like Boris Johnson…(asuming he actually does ride a bike)…….

and it`s fine.

😉

R.lepecha

yes i may be 65kg

Are you some sort of anorexic? I thought I was light for my size, 6″1′ and about 70kg. Unless your short?

stoney
    Free Member

No, just lean….. 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Steel and titanium have fatigue limits, which means as long as the material is kept below a specific stress/strain it will never fail via fatigue no matter how many cycles it is put through. For steel this limit is approx half its ultimate tensile strength.

Aluminium doesnt have a fatigue limit so even small cycles of stress/strain can eventually lead to fatigue failure. The reason aluminium bikes had a reputation for being stiff was down to manufacturers using large diameter tubing to prevent flex (= strain) under load (= stress) to stop the frame failing via fatigue, not because of the stiffness of aluminium itself.

So steel and titanium dont flex more and more til they snap, but aluminium does.

Titanium frames usually fail as a result of contamination during welding.

geetee1972
    Free Member

and yes i may be 65kg

65kg? My knob weighs more than that! 😀

TheBishop
    Free Member

Titanium frames usually fail as a result of contamination during welding.

Ah yes. Mine has failed along the weld,

rustler
    Free Member

On one have been pretty good so far having arranged collection swiftly.

Its a shame that the phone calls & emailed photographs of my cracked year old Inbred have not elicited the same response. Having to foot the bill for sending it back myself, & waiting a week now without so much as an email or phone call to update has dimmed my veiw of On-One somewhat.

Glad to hear most folk experienced better CS than I have. 🙁

slowrider
    Free Member

ash – Member

geordiemick00 – Member

You’re new round here aren’t you?

YOU’RE new round here aren’t you?

Posted 22 hours ago # Report-Post

NO YOU’RE new round here aren’t you?

this level of sophisticated banter i can cope with 😀

stoney
    Free Member

65kg? My knob weighs more than that!

A big nob then……….. 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘On One Ti 456 cracked!’ is closed to new replies.