Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • on-one 456… build pics and question….
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How tall are you and what size do you ride?

Cheers,

Yeti

slugwash
    Free Member

5’10” and ride an 18″, but it feels like a smaller frame ‘cos the seatpost’s always bloody sliding down ….

chakaping
    Free Member

Bit under 5ft 9in and 16″, fits great.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Im 6′ and had a 16″ it was a bit small for anything more than a couple of hours. But good fun.

thomthumb
    Free Member

180cm, ride an 18″

ourkidsam
    Free Member

5’10”, 16″ – same as my ****

Paulio
    Free Member

5’8″ and I have a 16″ carbon frame with 70mm stem – it’s absolutely spot on for me. It’s really comfortable and stable/controllable, if you get what I mean. No pics sorry!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cheers, I’m 5’10” and they have the one I want available in a 16″ (med?) now. 18″ are only available to order.

Why, oh ******* why, does 5’10” fall between sizes!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh go on then! 😉

IMG_0864 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

5’8″ on a 16in, with a 70mm stem. Perfik!

yodagoat
    Free Member

I’m 6’4″ and have the 20. Fits me well. I have quite long legs (36″)

Nezbo
    Free Member

i’m 6’4″ and ride a 20″ fits me perfect and great to ride 🙂 happy days…

stumpy01

5’6″ – on a 16″ with a 70mm stem.

Feels about right to me.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

PP… what’s your inside leg measurement?

Looking at geometry etc it seems the major difference is the seat tube length and therefore worried about amount of seatpost sticking out the frame.

At this point I don’t think I also need to know which way you dress 😆

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

5’11”/6ft here.

Used to be a 16 here:

Now and 18 here:

I don’t really feel alot of difference on the trail, but I don’t look quite like of stolen my sons bike anymore.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP… what’s your inside leg measurement?

30″, since you asked nicely… 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cheers PP

scienceofficer – ahem – If you don’t mind… what’s you inside leg measurement?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

~5’10, ~32″ inside leg, 16″ 456. Sized on basis of top tube length (I like ~22.5″ bikes) which is a more significant measurement to get a bike to fit.

Just provisionally sold the frame, not because theres anything wrong with just because I am a bike tart and the Dialled Alpine thats replacing it is made of pimpier tubing 🙂

original build

jamesy01
    Free Member

6.00″ on an 18″ frame

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mr MC, thanks. That garden looks like it’s in the Faringdon area.

I’m thinking of easing in a Ti one and your measurements stack up nicely with mine. I generally prefer a smaller bike for throwing around a bit, but also thinking of putting in some miles on this bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’d asked last week you could have borrowed my 18″, but it’s now up in Derby at my parents.

I’m 6ft and ride it with a 60mm stem, I’d like to try a 16″ with a layback post next year though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think you’ll be OK on a 16in. They aren’t short bikes. I use an inline post too, so a layback will help a lot I think 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

😯

Well, 32.5 to 33, by the old ‘book tucked up tight’ method.

Thats a 410mm thomson on the red ‘bred, with not much safe extension left.

On the Ti, its a 410 post too, but it is about 2 inches lower due to creep in that picture. This one is better representative of its true riding height.

Shackleton

6ft and 18″ with in-line post, 80mm stem and Vanilla 130s. Feels about right for the more technical end of the trail riding spectrum. I do have longish legs for my height (~34″) though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I go dirtjumping on my 18″ so you’ll be fine on either.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thanks people! Good job everyone doesn’t just talk rubbish on the chat forum all day 😯

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, sometimes we talk rubbish in the bike forum as well!

Hairychested
    Free Member

16″ 456SS for my 5’7″ of tallness.

mmb
    Free Member

5’9″ on a 16″ with 60mm stem and layback post.

oh and 29er forks for the geometry.

ryan_c

Hey yeti
    If you decide to go for 18″ and your man enough for military pink colour, i’ve got a frame i’m looking to sell but haven’t got round to listing yet.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

Hey, I’m about 5’8-5’9 and mine is an 18in frame 90mm stem, easton vice post. I got that size based on TT length as Brant suggested. I rode a 17in Fisher with a 23.9in TT before the 456 so I just went off of that. After 2 seasons with this bike I’m still happy with it’s fit and feel, would like to get a 70mm stem tho…
    Hope that helps!

tk46hal
    Free Member

ONE ONE TI456 by timoreillyhalifax, on Flickr

5-9 tall, 16″ frame with layback seatpost. Feels great!

mattstreet

5’10” and ride an 18″ with 70mm stem. Was worried after ordering that I should’ve gone for the 16″, but it fits great and the seatpost still seems up by the right amount – not a massive amount of difference between the 16 & 18 all said and done.

tooslow
    Free Member

6’2″ on an 18″ here.

cinnamon_girl

You need to try both! Just ask. 🙂

(C_G habitual buyer of badly fitting frames)

bassspine
    Free Member

6’2″ on an 18″ also, fits perfick.

Chadders
    Free Member

5’10 and on a 16″ here.

its perfect, as said before ita all about top tube length and mine is spot on, certainly not too small!

taka
    Free Member

do you lot who are 6ft+ and riding 18″ frames have short legs? ive tryed numerous 18″ frames and there too small even with the post right out to its limit?

wheeliejim
    Free Member

There’s a lot of seatpost showing in some of those pics – do you find you start wheelying going up hills?

I’m 5’8″ so SHOULD have a 16″ but I ended up buying 18″ replacement, which felt much better… (70mm stem, 140mm forks)

Chadders
    Free Member

I think they are generally ok with seatpost out as the design of the frame put enough weight over the front wheel on climbs

mccett
    Free Member

5’10, had a 16″ first and sold it, replaced with an 18″ which felt better, bit longer and bit more stable on downhills. Just sold and replaced with 18″ carbon version.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘on-one 456… build pics and question….’ is closed to new replies.