• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Oi, ultra distance runners
  • iDave
    Free Member

blister avoidance advice please?

talc, vaseline, pre-emptive compeed, single socks, double socks, sportwool socks, zinc taping? HELP

nicko74

Shoes about half a size larger than you’d otherwise wear and 2 pairs of socks – I have running bear socks as the inner ones, because the wool hugs the foot and doesn’t slip.

roper
    Free Member

I don’t know if it works but adjusting the lacing of you shoes as you go. Your feet can swell and get stiff. I loosen my shoes, properly flex and clean my feet and re-tie my shoes to fit my feet. It takes a couple of minutes out of the run but freshening up is great and can add to you pace.

When training running a lot on sand helps too.I’ve also heard that adequate sodium intake is also very important too, not sure why.

iDave
    Free Member

Cheers. I don’t have time for training solutions, have larger shoes, and not worried about taking a few minutes out now and then for foot fettling.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Have you tried sitting on yer arse and watching telly instead? It takes ages for blisters to develop that way

IanMunro
    Free Member

Wee in your shoes. Urine is renowned for blister treatment.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

WHy what you going to be doing then?enlighten us to your crazy challenge!?

roper
    Free Member

Also, not sure if you have seen it but this site has some good tips from runners,

http://www.ultrunr.com/

most of it depends on what you are running on, how tired you are and the weather. being aware of hot spots and running lightly downhill.
    Which race are you doing?

iDave
    Free Member

Doing the SiS 12 hour next Sunday, or rather it is doing me

oldgit
    Free Member

I took a bit off time out to do this stuff. I used two pairs of shoes. Longest I did was the 80 mile ‘Pola-Plod on the SDW. Still ended up bare foot on the approach to Birling Gap, no blisters though.

roper
    Free Member

That looks good, not too busy.
    As you know, any repetitive route will affect you head more than your body. I know it sounds odd but any course which gets muddier and muddier I like to take a good, strong mud removing stick like thing. Your shoes can get quite heavy with build up, sometimes without you noticing, you can also start to lose grip, so are more prone to ankle or knee twists, and it can get bloody annoying trying to clean your shoes with twigs which keep on snapping or getting crap over your hands. A handy mud remover can sort that out, especially when you are feeling tired.
    Break a leg and let us know how you get on.

molgrips
    Free Member

iDave is doing Mayhem on foot. Or in other words, Mayhem without having to drag your bike about.

seanoc
    Free Member

Always found Tink Benz to be invaluable for high endurance challenges although I’d avoid prolonged use as it tends to dry the skin a bit too much after it’s done the toughening bit.

Used to get it from the medics, not sure of any civilian access.

Lots of mates used zinc oxide tape but it always caused me much more hassle than it avoided.

Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

I’ve found preemptive Compeeds great on long fell runs/ races. I was a sceptic but a friend persuaded me to give them a go and I’ve got to say I am impressed and blister free!

ajf
    Free Member

I always found loads of vaseline helped with my feet. Then just your normal socks and shoes. Also found that if my feet were wet I was less likely to get blisters, it was really hot spots that caused the most trouble.

nips I used to use climbing tape as that had extra stick and plasters or vaseline tended to wash off eventually. Nothing worse than bleeding nipples and a sweaty top.

All my ultra stuff has been on the fells and I have never actually raced an ultra but ran ultra distances just for the sake of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Oi, ultra distance runners’ is closed to new replies.