• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by marc.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Oh bugger, old Hope spares help needed
  • marc
    Free Member

I may have ballsed this up entirely.

Changing forks on my bike, how easy could that be?

So, buy forks. They have post mount; buy IS-Post adapter. This moves caliper out; so buy bigger rotor. Try to remove old rotor; no way.

So, buy new spider. Now that’s the problem. Where the hell can you source an old Hope XC front hub to 5 bolt rotor spider. Hope don’t make them or stock them them and I can’t spot them online.

The only thing I’ve seen is at Wiggle, but thats a bulb spider and I don’t think it’s a match.

Any help greatfully recieved.

This could get expensive.

Militant_biker

Is it the ‘spiky toothed’ one rather than the ‘squared off’ tooth one?

Not that this is going to help you, but I struggled to find one a few years ago. Someone from here had one in a spares box and posted it to me.

Try ebay or the WTD classifieds?

clubber
    Free Member

I have a couple but they’re in use I’m afraid and they’re damn hard to get hold of now. I’d suggest a new hub or if you’re particularly attached to the current one I have seen them drilled and helicoiled.

Militant_biker

Rockdodger – that looks like the squarer Bulb spider…

STATO
    Free Member

Just drill the the heads off the bolts, used to round out all the time if you distance grease them on installation (cheese for bolts and small Allen key, not a good combo). Should be able to get the rest out with pliers after the rotor is off.

marc
    Free Member

I gave the wheel to the LBS to drill. They’ve drilled and even ground the disc, but because the stoopid little 3mm allen bolts are countersunk it’s near impossible. They’ve admitted defeat.

marc
    Free Member

…….and they were greased on installation, but that was ten tears ago 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

Take the remains to an engineering shop. It’s going to cost but it will be cheaper than a new hub and rebuild.

coatesy
    Free Member

No guarantee, but feel free to send the spider/disc to me and i’ll have a crack in the workshop for you, not had too much trouble sorting them in the past(providing your shop haven’t monged it too badly).Also have a 3 bolt spider inc 155mm disc that you’re welcome to, not sure if the original 3 bolts were the same spacing as the latest 3 bolt hubs though. E-mail in profile if you’re interested in either offer.

andrewh
    Free Member

Try a wanted ad on retrobike?

foxman
    Free Member

im pretty sure i have a few new and poss old ones in my workshop , will have a look tommorrow for you if interested

marc
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

A mate of mine is a proper engineer type of stylee (sorry mucho booze).

I,m nipping round there tomorrow to get properly drilled (matron!)

Keep u updated.

Cheers

dyna-ti

I run 5 bolt rotors on both my bikes.I have found several spiders where the bolts were seized in.I drilled them out with i think it was a 3mm bit.drilling down the center or near enough takes the pressure off and makes it far easier to remove
    to remove-
    This involves cutting a slot in the top using a dremel[or some other such rotary tool]you then use a long slotted screwdriver to remove.You need to keep a fair amount of pressure on the screwdriver and to keep it up and turn it is difficult
    I use a pair of mole grips to turn it with,that way i can easily concentrate on keeping the pressure.

I would advise strongly against giving older hope stuff to local bikes shops as for the most part havent got a clue on how to deal with these things properly,so end up butchering it in the attempt.
    I asked in one if the know HOPE brakes,to which they laughed
    The laughing stopped when i presented them with a No2 caliper,that has HOPE in big letters across it 😈

For these kind of problems contact retrobike
    Its our cup of tea. 😉

tops5
    Free Member

Hope made a 5 bolt one for me to suit my Hayes brakes – may be worth asking. Always understood them to be super helpful with this kind of thing

STATO
    Free Member

I gave the wheel to the LBS to drill. They’ve drilled and even ground the disc, but because the stoopid little 3mm allen bolts are countersunk it’s near impossible. They’ve admitted defeat.

I suggest you never return to that shop. I could manage it when I was 16!

marc
    Free Member

Mate came good.

We used a milling machine to drill the heads off the bolts, once off you could get the bottom section out with your fingers. Not a scratch on the spider.

Bike now back together and pining to get out tomorrow to try out extra travel and girt big rotor.

BTW, bike shop say Hope keep all their programmes for the machine tools so they can produce any spares, even discontinued ones. They could have knocked one out, on request, for about £20. Worth keeping that in mind.

tops5
    Free Member

Told ya! 🙂

dyna-ti

BTW, bike shop say Hope keep all their programmes for the machine tools so they can produce any spares, even discontinued ones. They could have knocked one out, on request, for about £20. Worth keeping that in mind.

Not a chance,have contacted hope over this and they say-
    No!

marc
    Free Member

Not a chance,have contacted hope over this and they say-
    No!

What are you after? I could try the LBS to see if their theory works.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Oh bugger, old Hope spares help needed’ is closed to new replies.