• This topic has 211 replies, 101 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Rich.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 212 total)
  • OCD… What are your compulsions then?
  • binners

We’ll take the obvious one as read shall we?

I’ll start. I feel the need to clean my ears at least three times a day. I go through cotton buds like there’s no tomorrow

And yours please…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

trimming eyebrows and nose and ear hair 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

I have to tap things as I walk past them, especially if there are a number of them repeated – like fence posts
    (well, I don’t HAVE to, but I do it a lot)

cinnamon_girl

Yeah, don’t hold back guys. 😯

lunge

Notes in my wallet have to be in order (£20’s at the back, £5’s at the front) with the queens head facing forward.
    Car stereo volume has to be even numbers or multiples of 5

Gary_C

C’mon, its CDO…. gotta have them in alphabetical order….

redthunder
    Free Member

Satyriasis.

bigyim
    Free Member

one more for having to have volume on even numbers

Harry_the_Spider

I count to 5 in my head. A lot.

scaredypants

I can’t leave a packet of biscuits half-eaten

oldgit
    Free Member

Spend ages checking sockets in the house before bed, or leaving the house. Sometimes I get up again or go back in the house to go through it all again.

Hoovering, that’s actually really annoyed my family.

Squeezing my tyres convinced I’ve got permanent punctures

GJP
    Free Member

Checking doors and windows are locked.

I can be back and forth to the bathroom half a dozen times in the morning checking that I have shut the bathroom window. I do this even 10 or 15 seconds after I last checked and knowing full well the window is shut.

I will then take the car out of the garage drive to the exit from the flats and then reverse the 75 metres or so to the back of the flats again to check the bathroom window is shut and that I have put my bike back in the garage.

Please do not get me started on how many times I need to take my camelbak off to check my keys are in it, after checking religiously that they were it in before I put the camelback on.

There are others, hand washing, but I don’t think I am too fanatical about that one (go through phases on this one). The others are chronic.

EDIT,

I can add the even numbers (car volume, seretide inhaler) and tyre checking to my list

Harry_the_Spider

My grandad was in signals during WW2. For the rest of his life (50 years!) he tapped out morse.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Light switches, can’t have them ‘upside down’ when not on. Fill kettle to an even number. Clean teeth after every meal ( carry a fuzzy brush for outdoors) all my art kit has to be in order, paints in rainbow order etc… If I’m Reading a book can’t leave it on an odd number.

mintimperial

In my last car I had to have the volume on multiples of 5, but for some reason it doesn’t matter in the current one. I think it’s because it’s got a twiddly dial thing for the volume rather than buttons.

yunki
    Free Member

taking my genital herpes medication.. I obsessively take it every morning and evening.. and trying to get my prose as correct as I possibly can when I post here.. even though in reality I am a barely comprehensible coarse and sweary bumpkin..

AlasdairMc

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    I count to 5 in my head. A lot.

I do something similar but perhaps slightly worse – letting A represent 1, B as 2 and so on I add up the ‘value’ of words and work out a score for them. I then work out if the letters in the word can be split evenly in two or not.

It keeps my mind busy.

I got 37 on that autism spectrum test, normal is 16. Go figure 😕

theotherjonv

Another for the stereo volume one. But not just even numbers, there are others that are OK and some even numbers aren’t. eg: 3 and 5 are both OK, so 4 isn’t. Very rarely is eg: 8 or 12 selected, ‘cos 10 is nearby and that’s much cleaner.

House lights have to be down for on, up for off. We’ve a double switch for the stairs, and I get nervy if I have to have them the odd way, waiting for it to get light enough to be able to get them both the right way up again.

Tyre logos must line up with valves?

And not OCD as such, but in the cutlery rack in the drawer, the little compartments must be either L-R or Top-Bottom ordered as Knives, Forks and Spoons. I get annoyed if I’m in someone’s house and they aren’t in that order, even more so than scummers who just dump the cutlery in the drawer randomly.

smudge
    Free Member

when out walking the dog on our local golf course I cant leave with an odd number of golfballs in my pockets! bit of a barsteward when just about to finish walk and find one and then makes it a damn odd number again! dog loves it though!!

martinxyz
    Free Member

For years i have noticed that when i sit still i often find myself moving ever so slightly to align things up around me.

right now i have just moved to align the edge of a seat up with the edge of a cardboard box behind it.

Ive also just moved a mug beside me so that its edge sits spot on next to the edging around it. (it was half over it so i moved it – dont ask why)

…but do tell me why.

oh,i served my time as a joiner and quite often i would be sighting stuff so maybe this has something to do with it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

even more so than scummers who just dump the cutlery in the drawer randomly.

I mix them up on purpose to annoy people. I don’t even have them pointing the same ways 🙂 The tin opener is in with the knives…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Jonv I’m glad it’s not just me with the lights, it drives my gf mad, I can’t go out and relax if one switch us upside down. We like to leave a light on when were out, I couldn’t cope with knowing a light switch was upside down, we’ve got timers now on lamps, I don’t mind sockets being upside down as they’re not going to hurt me or laugh at me when my backs turned.

Rich
    Free Member

Fiddling.
    Whether its checking my zip pockets are done up over and over, or checking I have my wallet, keys, phone on me when I know full well I have!
    To fiddling with the bass, treble and volume on the car stereo even when it sounds perfectly fine and it always ends up on the same setting. Checking the handbrake is off over and over again even though I know it’s off from the last 20 checks and the lack of a red light on the dash.
    God loads of things, that make me sound pretty weird when in the written word, but I think most of us are like it in some way or another if we think about it! 😆

djglover
    Free Member

Ear plugs, have to wear them, even alone in a quiet room I can’t fall asleep. I lost some the other day and panicked. Cleaning ears is another of mine at least daily. I check all the plugs are off, due to fire risk every night, often have to recheck. I’m claustrophobic too and will check the lock on a toilet door isn’t going to leave me trapped by ‘testing’ it 5 times or so, unlock – open – lock – unlock – open – lock – unlock – open – lock – unlock – open – lock. I can’t get in Lifts and have been known to ascend / descend a 18 storey building 2-3 times daily by the stairs to avoid the lift. People at work thought I was demented, I was quite fit

For years i have noticed that when i sit still i often find myself moving ever so slightly to align things up around me.

I do that, every day when I get in from work everything gets straitened or put in aligned piles, drives me mad mess..

One of my 22 month old twin daughters has developed some weird ones already, she cant go to bed without 2 cylinders and will shout ‘worry circles’ until they are placed back in the bed, also she can’t sleep without a bodywarmer in the cot. Well weird, sister has no such affliction…

Rich
    Free Member

Can anyone shed any light (as long as the switch is the right way! 😉 ) on why people do these things?
    Is it for a sense of control? Are our minds so under-stimulated they find the most mundane things to think about? I don’t know…

tinribz
    Free Member

Not sure if this counts but I don’t like having the car volume on no. 13, even though 14 always seems too loud and 12 too quiet grr.

There is someone in my office cracks his knuckles regularly and periodically shakes / wrings his hands to the side three times, then moves them over his head, but without actually touching the head.

I touch my nose a lot, but it does actually itch. Any maybe a bit too much imaginary beard / chin stroking than strictly necessary.

JulianA
    Free Member

Oh, so many of the above!

Thanks, guys, I’m glad it’s not just me.

samuri
    Free Member

I think it’s because you’re freaks. hth.

cinnamon_girl

Phew, I’m normal. 8)

binners

My volume dial goes to eleven. And there it stays. Its one louder 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Can anyone shed any light (as long as the switch is the right way! ) on why people do these things?

Insecurity I reckon. I check my front door when going out a lot. I’ve often done the “stopping the car and driving back just to double-check even though I’m 100% positive” thing. Although there is some logic to it as I’m often miles away in my own little dream world not paying attention. And I’ve been known on several occasions many years ago, to go out leaving the front door unlocked. But not since I started checking 20 times before leaving 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I appear to be uncompulsive. I often don’t bother to check if my front door is locked and leave it unlocked. I never read the numbers on dials. I leave stuff higgledy-piggledy 🙂

smudge
    Free Member

I shouldnt of looked at this thread as its got me know looking at sockets!

I use the rule of 4. press locked doors down 4 times to make sure they are deffo locked. check zipped pockets on backpack 4 times, and to make double sure do it 4 x 4 times if its an alldayer!

nickc

I’m pissing myself laughing at all you weirdos…Do more stupid stuff…

BTW I’m writing all this shit down so if we ever meet, I’m so going to mess with your head

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m writing all this shit down so if we ever meet, I’m so going to mess with your head

What and ask me if I’m sure that I’ve locked my front door ? ……….now that’s just cruel 😐

My problem is that I’m so used to double-checking my front door is locked, that I don’t pay attention whilst I’m doing it………so I have to double-check that I’ve double-checked 😕

Harry_the_Spider

What a bunch of nut-bags we are.

krag
    Free Member

If I set an alarm it can’t be on a normal kinda number eg 7am or 7:15 its got to be like 703 or 727.

I don’t like wearing matching socks either, just feels wrong.

Woody
    Free Member

I can’t leave a baked bean (or part of a bean) in the tin but am ‘not allowed’ to use a fork or spoon to remove it or them and have to shake or hit the tin until it’s completely empty before I rinse it for recycling.

bighendo
    Free Member

Binners, do you ever get ear ache or poke the cotton bud so far it makes you cough
    …hmmm ocd?? it must get less as you mature ……
    whats the opposite of cod then??
    thats me i`ve got that i reckon

Kevevs
    Free Member

before I got a track pump, I’d count the pumps with a hand pump to 20, then stop, then 20 again, then 20. it’d have to end on 20!
    If I’m on a climb I count the rotations of the cranks, depending on the incline/gear, it’ll go1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,and 8, sometimes 12. It’s a way of switching off my “pain brain” and going into repetitive “machine mode”. I’m sure I’m not the only one!?
    errr… I count ’em in my head, not aloud! I’d be a pain in the ass if I was a gym instructor or sommat, anyone doing reps ending on an odd number would just do my head in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘OCD… What are your compulsions then?’ is closed to new replies.