Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Obree makes another bike
  • aracer
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/16231501.stm

Good luck to him – I’d reckon his chances a lot better than Queally’s when the people designing his bike clearly had no idea of how little frontal area others had.

racefaceec90

i reckon he could well succeed.good luck graeme 😀

fisha
    Free Member

Aye, good luck to him. I cycled to work with him once and during that cycle he was a thoroughly decent chap to talk to. Really down to earth and not aloof in any manner.

Coyote
    Free Member

Good luck to the man.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

“on a bicycle, but there’s no rules”

sounds ideal for him, good luck, legend!

Keef
    Free Member

Top man.good luck !

edhornby

I would love to see Obree nail a world record, if ever a man deserved the win

cakefacesmallblock

Fantastic. Good for him !

angryratio
    Free Member

Awesome.

Best of luck to him.

oldboy
    Free Member

“a bicycle he built himself from washing machine parts”

The press never miss an opportunity do they?

martymac

if i had a pound for every time ive heard the line about the washing machine parts i could probably have a decent night on the town.
    i knew graeme back in the day as i worked at irvine cycles.
    it would not surprise me at all if he managed to break a world record at this.
    good luck to him i say.
    (and ffs, dont tell the press anything about washing machines this time)

tangent
    Free Member

For those interested the washing machine bike…it is on display somewhere in the National Museum of Scotland. The machine is painted white so can see how the confusion arose, however IIRC I think Mr Obree made use of some bearings from a washing machine. Whatever, it clearly had a very effective spin cycle 😕 😆

Goodluck to him with new project.

aracer
    Free Member

IIRC I think Mr Obree made use of some bearings from a washing machine.

He says so himself in his book – I’ve just checked – on that basis I don’t see what the big deal is about mentioning “washing machine parts”.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I don’t get it either, I think it’s great you can make a bike from washing machine parts! It would be great to see him get another World record after all the years and struggles he has been through.

hambl90
    Free Member

Good luck graeme hope you do it .

marka.
    Free Member

Good luck indeed. I understand that he’s going for a prone (face down) design, which sounds suitably mental.

Wasn’t there a picture of him recently on a bike with a ginormous dinner-plate chain-ring and teeny sprocket. Wasn’t that for another record attempt? What happened to that?

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I was lucky (or is that unlucky!) enough to be a time trialist and living in Scotland in the early 90’s when Graeme was at his peak. He was always approachable and a true inspiration and both him and Boardman where the fastest around at the time.

Shak47

The bike with the big Chainring was built for another go at the World hour record, but it didnt ride very well on the track when tested, so that was scrapped unfortunately.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I bet it’s totally overstated how much washing machne comprised that infamous washing machine bike.

rusty90
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a picture of him recently on a bike with a ginormous dinner-plate chain-ring and teeny sprocket. Wasn’t that for another record attempt? What happened to that?

This one ? It was intended for the world hour record

“Obree spent a year and a half training on the bike which worked brilliantly on the road.

But when Obree took to Manchester’s velodrome for a trial run in August it went badly wrong. Watched by former national British cycling coach Doug Daley, Obree’s bike proved useless”
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/graeme-obree-dumps-hour-record-plans-23985/

AlexSimon

I never worked out what was wrong with that bike on the track.
    What could have made it so awful? Was it that the arms being straight and the pivot (headset) being ahead of your elbows made it too difficult to manoeuvre?
    If it was just flex and things like that, you’d think they could have carried on improving it. I loved the genius simplicity of it’s rule-bending 🙂

vancoughcough
    Free Member

The rules have since been tightened to stop that kind of shenanigans.

rthomas17
    Free Member

I heard he made a washing machine out of old bike parts.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

At least he didn’t destroy his knackers like Boardman.

Perhaps he used Boardman’s knackers on another bike?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Obree makes another bike’ is closed to new replies.