Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • North Wales trail centres – where's open?
  • Pieface

Is Llandegla open again?

Otherwise are Penmachno / Gwydyr / CyB ok and not covered in ice?

Any info on road conditions appreciated as I believe there may have been a bit of snow in the last few days.

Ta

Rorschach
    Free Member

Everywhere (above a few hunreded metres elevation) is covered in ice/snow to some degree.
    Lllandegla closed till the spring!
    Cyb was ridable(ish) today.
    Marin/Penmachno passable with lots of walking (more so marin than penmachno).
    Or so I'm led to beleive.
    However…..its snowing again.
    Usual rules apply-BE PREPARED.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Wouldn't bother to be honest with you.

Rorschach
    Free Member

2nd that.

iolo
    Free Member

Coed y brenin was a bit icy but fine today.
    I rode Dragons Back with very little ice.
    I'm off to ride the Marin tomorrow.
    It's snowing a little here in north Wales but I'm sure it will be fine.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

The Marin on Wednesday just gone

091230 The Marin Trail At It's Best

Set here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25655510@N02/sets/72157622977895003/

By all accounts it's snowed even more but we ploughed it for you.

Enjoy

Pieface

Fresh snow should make it nice.

Thanks

catshoe
    Free Member

Over in the Clwyds (Llandegla) it is well frozen so you're better off on frozen grass (natural trails) than frozen rock (Llandegla)
    Llandegla you can't even get up the road to

dandan
    Free Member

Surely landeglla isn't really closed till spring?

genesis
    Free Member

No but it will be this weekend most likely, definately closed tomorrow.

Rorschach
    Free Member

"Surely landeglla isn't really closed till spring?"…Don't call me shirley.
    P.s Exactly how stupid are you????

genesis
    Free Member

Don't rant at the normal folk you've been told before!

mAx_hEadSet

see you started ranting at the average man in the street and the snow is coming down again.. do you never want to get back into your wooden box this year..

mttm
    Free Member

Just got back from the Marin – all totally rideable, but covered in snow. It was thawing towards the end, although it started sleeting heavily as I left and it's snowing heavily at home (Clwyds).

The final descents were pretty clear under the trees, in fact the last couple of stretches were just mucky. I was actually delighted to see muck for once – finally, the possibility of real speed! Did the last descents a couple of times.

nickingsley
    Free Member

mttm – thanks for that.
    Intend to take a trip out there on Sunday Penmachno preferred – but from your post at least I know the Marin is rideable.
    Was there much ice around or enough snow to grip on.

Do you have any knowledge as to the conditions at Penmachno? Sounds like the last descent may be a bit awkward as it is not under trees like the final descent on the Marin.

Not sure what effect the bitter frost tonight will have – hopefully the snow will be as grippy but the wet/stream sections at Penmachno could be semi-lethal.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/betws-y-coed_forecast_weather.html

Think we will use the A55 and then A470 to ByC in case the Mold/Ruthin/Cerrigydrudion road is snowed in/icy.

Thanks

nickingsley
    Free Member

Did the Marin today – conditions fine – cold and sunny. Trail was predominantly hard frosted snow, occasional slippy patches on fire roads but easy to pick out from a distance, under the trees conditions as normal – as stated above final descent in great condition.

Penmachno car park very icy and deserted. Last section of singletrack that comes out at the bottom of car park so icy it could not be stood up on. Hence ourselves (and others) were at the Marin trail.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘North Wales trail centres – where's open?’ is closed to new replies.