Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • North Devon/Exmoor MTB route recommendations please!
  • KateD
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m going to be at Woolacombe for the weekend in North Devon and am hoping to get some riding in. Can anyone recommend any Exmoor routes? I’ve ridden the Horner Wood area round Dunster and also the Quantocks but would be good to find something a little nearer to Woolacombe. I’m happy to drive as far as Simonsbath. Thanks!

JAG

Hi Kate,

I lived in Lynton and worked in Ilfracombe for two years but I didn’t find any mountain bike riding over that side. You’ve got to head past Lynton to find anything worth doing (IMHO – obviously). Porlock, Minehead and Dunster are the key venues 😐

KateD
    Free Member

I was worried you were going to say that! 🙁

JAG

If you’ve got a road bike then there are some ‘challenging’ hilly rides over toward Woolacombe 😀

snaps
    Free Member

What distance/difficulty?
    You can make a 10ish mile loop using Morte point & windcutter woods in Lee bay but it involves a couple of cheeky sections – not usually a problem this time of year.
    The old railwayline from Ilfracombe is doable from Turnpike cross to Braunton & back via Croyde.
    Simonsbath has a good 9 mile route from the center of the village – I was there last week, did two loops – stunning views.

KateD
    Free Member

Hi Snaps,

The 9 mile loop from Simonsbath sounds good. Would it be possible to give some very basic pointers so I can work out the route on the os map? I know where the footpath is that goes along the river towards cow castle, but thats about it! Thanks

Trailseeker
    Free Member

If you follow that bridleway by the river & stay to the left of the river after the ford, you’ll climb up to the signpost in the picture, then follow the blue signs back to SB
    I think I prefer doing it the otherway round (clockwise)

KateD
    Free Member

Thanks for the info!

snaps
    Free Member

Yes I prefer the clockwise direction but the initial climb up through the woods can be tough (You can climb on the road to Exford for a few hundred meters then go through the gate on the right to cut out the tough bit 😉 )

cotic853
    Free Member

I was there a few weeks ago and did a route down into Lee by road then along the coast path with great views (its bridleway here) to Torrs Park/ Ilfracombe and back up to Willingcott on the railway path. Not a classic off road route I know but OK as a short ride if you dont want to drive over to Exmoor.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘North Devon/Exmoor MTB route recommendations please!’ is closed to new replies.