Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Non Ust tryes used with stans or other types
  • handyman
    Free Member

Am converting my mates bike to stans and was wondering which non ust tyres people have used withbsuccess thanks, i am trying kenda block 8 but need something more grippy for winter

racing_ralph
    Free Member

kenda, maxxis, spesh all fine

neninja
    Free Member

Nobby Nic, Racing Ralph, Dirty Dan, Kenda Excavator XC, Maxxis Advantage – all run tubeless with Stans no problem – none of them proper UST or tubeless ready tyres

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Never got Kenda to work, but had success with Schwalbe, Bonty and Maxxis.

patentlywill
    Free Member

just fitted MudX on Shimano UST rims, no problems

peachos
    Free Member

NOT Panaracer.

Maxxis, Conti & Spesh all successful.

Spesh Eskar 2bliss is good at about £25.

kamina
    Free Member

Nokian NBX / Gazza AM / Freddies Revenge
    Continental Rubber Queen
    Schwalbe Fat Albert / Muddy Mary GGC / Big Betty GGC

All worked fine. The MM and BB where the only ones that went up without a compressor though. With Schwalbe be sure not to use the UST tires on non-UST rims. New 2011 Schwalbes have a UST bead with normal casing so should be easier to pump up with a floor pump.

scaredypants

I don’t get it – you’re asking for recs, so presumably going to buy these. Why not proper tubeless/ready ones ?

Small weight penalty vs far fewer failures IMO/E

peachos
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    I don’t get it – you’re asking for recs, so presumably going to buy these. Why not proper tubeless/ready ones ?

Small weight penalty vs far fewer failures IMO/E

not IME’s. all the LUST versions i have used have failed. weak bead…

scaredypants

not IME’s. all the LUST versions i have used have failed. weak bead…

Maybe we agree; it’s the L in lust that’s the prob there I reckon – trying to avoid the weight penalty by using thin/light stuff is a recipe for disaster

Northwind

I get on fine with various Kendas… Finally managed to rip one but it’d have done for a tube too so no worries there, every other one has been as good as you’d want. I’ve got some UST Nevegals and they’ve proved no better, just heavier.

My Minion still refuses to seal, but it’s not terrible, it just slowly gasses out through the sidewalls so a few rides on it still goes flat overnight. 2-bliss Specialized aren’t UST and don’t have the weight penalty but work really well.

avalanche
    Free Member

I run Maxxis Ignitors, Panaracer Fire XCpro, Trailrakers and Mud pro, all ghetto tubeless with no issues.

daveb
    Free Member

I have ran Maxxis High rollers, Nobby Nics, Mountain king and Racing Ralph tubeless on Olympics and Flows withoiut any issues. NNs can be a bit of a bitch to get air in without a compressor though (first time of inflating)

thwapy
    Free Member

I’m running maxxis advantage and crossmax tubeless with stans flow rims, works well.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’ve tried N/Nics as daveB said I needed a compressor to get them to seat.

Only prob I found with non-ust N/Nic was the sidewalls are thin and I ripped one on a descent in Coed, but would have happened if it was tubed so just poor tyre choice – ie it was an old tyre

gab344
    Free Member

Happy with 2-bliss the captain tyres:- 2.2 s-works front and 2.0 control on the rear (cause I’m a bit of a fat git need the tougher sidewall on the rear 😳 ) works out quite a bit lighter/cheaper/just as good as using proper UST rubber IMHO. Also running bonty mud x’s 29er Tubeless ready (TLR) plus stans sealant with great success!

Using this guys method ATM, works for me!

phyncra
    Free Member

With Schwalbe be sure not to use the UST tires on non-UST rims.

Why? I do!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Non Ust tryes used with stans or other types’ is closed to new replies.