• This topic has 40 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Non-alcoholic beers – any nice ones
  • ourmaninthenorth

I’m off the booze for the moment (medical), but fancy a cold beer.

Are there any that (1) give a reasonable impression of beer and (2) taste nice?

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’ve not drunk alcoholic beer for 7 years so it is difficult to compare, but i like Cobra’s 0%, Bernard Alcohol Free Amber is ok too. If you have a sweet tooth Kopparberg Non Alcoholic Pear Cider is v nice.

Tesco is probably the best of the mainstream supermarkets for non-alcoholic beers, but Sainsbury’s for wines.

jon1973
    Free Member

I really like Bavaria Beer 0.0%. Really nice malty flavour.

bruk

My wife and sis both reckoned Becks Blue was the best when they were pregnant. Still tastes like a facsimilie of beer to me though.

Drinkable but you know it’s not real. (Even tried blind testing.)

grumm
    Free Member

Think you can get an erdinger one that’s not too bad.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Becks Blue for my currently pregnant ride too. Not bad. Cobra make a horrendous one – avoid.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Both the becks and the bavaria

rOcKeTdOg

Beck blue is just like drinking a glass full of chemicals bleurrgh!

Cobra Zero is excellent, actually i find it nicer than the alcoholic version

Erdinger alkohol frei is also good if you are into wheat beer (it even says it’s isotonic on the bottle, so an excellent sports recovery drink!!)

and the added benefit of all these is that they are much cheaper than their alcoholic breathren

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Another one for Becks Blue – currently at Asda £2.50 for four bottles.

hora
    Free Member

I know you want that malty-hit. I’d rather wait. Non-alcohol beer is wrong. You wouldn’t have a hand shuffle and stop just before would you? 😆

CaptJon
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Beck blue is just like drinking a glass full of chemicals bleurrgh!

Cobra Zero is excellent, actually i find it nicer than the alcoholic version

Erdinger alkohol frei is also good if you are into wheat beer (it even says it’s isotonic on the bottle, so an excellent sports recovery drink!!)

and the added benefit of all these is that they are much cheaper than their alcoholic breathren

+1 on all that.

johni
    Free Member

My wife tried the Cobra Zero as she is pregnant. She had one sip and left it. I thought it can’t be that bad and tried it. One sip and the rest went down the sink. It is awful. I even tried to make a Shandy with the other bottles to get rid of it but even that was horrible. 🙁

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Cobra is UTTERLY minging. We bought two 6 packs of it, tried one and just left them. Horrible maltey grim taste.

Will search out the Erdinger – sounds good!

stumpy01

Hmmmmm, mixed views on the Cobra non-alcoholic!

I was going to recommend it as one of the better ones along with the Becks one that’s already been mentioned.

ourmaninthenorth

Mrs North tried the Becks Blue when pregnant (she had massive cravings for beer then), but it didn’t hit the spot with her.

I’ll give that a try, and the Erdinger too.

Cheers!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

No

redthunder
    Free Member

Stella ?

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought alc-free Cobra was truly revolting as well.

I agree Becks Blue isn’t quite right on it’s own, but if you squeeze quarter of a lime in the glass before you pour – it makes a much tastier and more beer-like drink.

I regard discovering this as one of my greatest personal achievements, so give it a try and let me know what you think.

GW
    Free Member

non alchoholic beer and lime? why other? just have a nice soft drink.

chakaping
    Free Member

It is a nice soft drink.

hora
    Free Member

Have a Becks Blue with a lemonade Vodka chaser

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Non alcoholic beer is like going down on your sister, it tastes similar but it’s not quite right.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I drank the Becks Blue when I was pregnant, it was fine as long as you didn’t have a normal beer before!

Cougar

Arf. (-:

Stumbled across this the other day, might be of interest:

http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/index.php?cPath=2_12

Personally, quite like Beck’s Blue and Cobra Zero, didn’t get on with Baveria at all.

hora
    Free Member

alcoholic beer is like going down on someones sister, it tastes just right.

Whilst in Todmorden….

ross980
    Free Member

My wife had Bavaria (not the wheat type) when pregnant, obviously not a patch on the alcoholic Bavaria (which is one of my favorites) but it wasn’t too bad. I had a few bottles out of solidarity and didn’t mind it (it was nicer than over-sugary soft drinks)

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Been off the booze now for 15 months (medical reasons), and not found a decent beer, if pushed I’d say Cobra over some of the others, but TBH I’d go for an alcohol free cider – bit sweet, but I don’t find them as gassy. The Bavaria is good when I can get it – seems to be patchy supply locally. Might try the link above to get some in for Xmas.

My local indian does Cobra alcohol free, so it is quite nice to be out for an indian & enjoy some resemblance of a beer with it.

Tried Becks Blue, but didn’t like Becks anyway, so don’t like the Blue version.

Alcohol free wine = cherry juice. Save your money.

stumpy01

mrsflash – Member
    I drank the Becks Blue when I was pregnant, it was fine as long as you didn’t have a normal beer before!

Good point, well made.

And it tastes better if it has time to get properly chilled too.

hp_source

I was just about to say about the ‘Alcohol Free Shop’ depending on your location in the north it may be travellable, it’s on the Oldham side of Manchester. I drive past it daily too/from work.

This sounds like a good idea…

Mixed Case

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cobra is ace – becks is minging – end of

Flaperon

Cobra Zero is the most revolting non-alcoholic beer I’ve ever tried. Sort of like a beer-flavoured milkshake mixed with cough syrup. Couldn’t manage more than a mouthful.

TiRed

Cobra alcohol free gave me one of the worst hangovers I can remember. Whatever chemicals are in it disagreed with me. Becks is my first choice if alcohol free, a passable attempt.

One unit infrequently is not going to result in medical complications (unless you have cirrhosis or hepatitis). If one leads to another… abstention I’m afraid.

ourmaninthenorth

hp_source – you’re a genius!

I’m in south Manchester, but can always make a trip up there.

ourmaninthenorth

One unit infrequently is not going to result in medical complications

True, but the sooner I can ditch these meds, the better.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

May I suggest Furstenberg Frei?
    If I’m attending a social event, but choose to drive (for whatever reason), I hope to see this in the beer fridge at the venue. It’s perhaps the best of the lot.
    If I’m at home, and want that ‘cold beer’ experience without the alco-kick, I’ll have a couple of Beck’s Blue, or that Bavaria, although it can be too malty for any more than one can at a time.

So, Furstenberg Frei, please.

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers, Mike. I’ll add that to the list.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

I had quite a few bottles of Bitburger Drive before I even realized it was booze free. Great tasting beer that doesn’t have the chemical taste /smell of some others e.g. Becks Blue.

steve-g
    Free Member

Due to a girlfriend – off license malfunction I ended up with a few bottles of the alcohol free becks and thought it was ok, the taste was fine, it was the lack of aftertaste that gave the game away though.

Cougar

I was in a pub last month, where a punter was kicking off to the barman that his beer was “crap”. Transpired that he’d been drinking Beck’s Blue all night, was stone cold sober and didn’t know why…

PeteG55
    Free Member

Was going to suggest the bitburger drive, best one I’ve discovered so far. Still not right though is it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Non-alcoholic beers – any nice ones’ is closed to new replies.