Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • NIrvana Cycles Surrey Hills Maps
  • Seb_C
    Free Member

Any good? Or is there something better floating round on t'internet?

Thanks,

Seb

lcj

Aye not bad, they're a good starting point for sure. I think Pedal and Spoke in Peaslake do their own range now as well, but I don't know what they're like.

Local knowledge will get you to the best bits though, so I'd buy a map, rock up in Peaslake and ask some friendly looking people.

If you're planning a trip let me know and I might even be tempted to show you round if it would help.

BigAirNig
    Free Member

Yeah – better to go on a ride with them [Nirvana] ….. they do regular guided rides through the week & weekend (check out their website perhaps for timing) ….. been with 'em a few times and it's good fun – nice guys ….

njee20
    Free Member

Their rides tend to get very mixed reviews, if you're not as quick as them you'll generally get left behind, even on their 'social' ride. Simon can be a bit 'prickly' too.

You could certainly do worse than lcj recommends, turn up in Peaslake and tag on to a group!

glenp
    Free Member

I third the idea of going with the flow. Any of the main "nodes" would be a good place to hang out – top of Leith, top of Holmbury, Peaslake village etc. All the singletrack lies to the north of the tops (well, virtually all) and once you get an idea of the general layout of the hills it is quite straightforward. If you end up in Peaslake Howard and Joe in Pedal & Spoke are very friendly and would be happy to point you in a the right direction I'm sure.

If you see any of us out with a group (grey Surrey Hills/AllBikedUp.com shirts) feel free to ask for directions.

scuttler

I can definitely recommend a shop ride. I was down from the North for a day working in the area and went on a Tuesday evening ride last year. Flippin brill and no need to stop to try and fathom out where you are. Of course if you intend on being able to navigate yourself you'd best pay more attention to the route than I did.

timmys

After three visits to the area I recently bought the Nirvana maps via their website. Even with my limited knowledge none of the singletrack marked on their maps was new to me. I also ordered them on a Wednesday optimistically hoping I'd have them in time for the Saturday – they actually took about two weeks to come and I had to chase them up. Not really recommended.

In contrast first time I went to Peaslake I bought a map in Pedal and Spoke and the owner (Howard?) marked a load of singletrack on it for me. He said if had any difficulty finding anything to come back and he'd head out on his bike with me to show me the trails.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I think Howard's doing a lot to endear himself to the local riding community (successfully I'd say!), he's always very friendly when you ride past. I'd go and see them!

Seb_C
    Free Member

Thanks all. I'm relatively local (Woking) so either get the train to Gomshall or drive to Holmbury YH. I have a reasonable little loop worked out, based heavily on the one in the Trail Guide:

Holmbury YH, right from carpark, between reservoirs, fire road climb to top of Holmbury.

Parklife then Telegraph Road (and have found the off camber parallel route.On Telegraph right at the fork near the end for the extra singletrack that spits you onto another bridleway/fire road.

Onto Horsham Road then left onto Pasture Wood Road and onto Greensand Way, climb to top of Leith Hill.

Down the other side, past the cricket pitch, off to the left along the singletrack that spits you onto the climb by Summer Lightning.

Ride all of Summer Lightning, down to the road and onto the A25. Ride roads back to Holmbury YH.

It's not a bad route, but I'd like some more options and variety. I'm also sure there's a much more interesting way to get back than spinning along the A25, without covering the same ground. There are also a few pics of some North Shore on the Nirvana site that I'd love to find (Mangrove Alley), and the jumps they show on Reformation.

I'll have to start saying hello to people when out and about (probably when I have the new Five built – my ratty Rockhopper creaks and groans like crazy) but I don't want to slow anyone down (my climbing pace is pretty poor atm!). Nothing beats local knowledge (I was an Epping Forest local for many years and knew tons of secret stuff).

joolsburger
    Free Member

There are better loops and depending on your thirst for stupidity there is always Ranmore! Quick fix is turn left at the bottom of Summer lightning, ride down the dark gully thing to the t junction, turn left and climb back up to Leith Tower. From the tower take the interesting singletrack down to the quarry, cross the road, past High Ashes farm, down the mother and your back in Holmbury, climb to the green bench at the bottom of Yogpots and then take Telegraph road back to the hostel. Minimal roadwork required.

glenp
    Free Member

If you're going to explore I'd recommend covering less area. Go from YH to Peaslake via BKB (suggest you get to top of Holmbury and then ask if anyone knows a clever way to Barry's, probably via Reservoir Dogs) – then when you're in Peaslake ask Howard about finding some stuff on Pitch – you want to find the T trails and Orange Claw Hammer ideally. Then you can save Parklife and Telegraphs for the finale to YH, having trekked back up Holmbury via Radnor.

Seb_C
    Free Member

Cool, I'll give that a shot.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘NIrvana Cycles Surrey Hills Maps’ is closed to new replies.