Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Niner one 9 or S.I.R 9??
  • phildowling
    Free Member

Looking at building up a new Singlepseed race bike for next year to replace my Trek 69er.
    Really fancy these 2 frames. One 9 is scandium light weight etc…and the SIR is the steel version.
    Most of my races are Enduro's, multi days and 24's so need the comfort as well as stiffness 🙂

Anyone had or got one of these frames?

fozzybear
    Free Member

Phil
    contact a guy called bonesetter on this forum he has had both and has moved on too.
    he is a 29" guy now, nice fella.

matt_outandabout

i had an EMD – same geometry, just in 'normal' alu.

Cracking bike, and not as stiff as you might think.

Nippier handling than I expected as well, but still definatley a big wheeler.

Shame some toe rag nicked it, it was a gem.

keavo
    Free Member

i have a sir9 and an air9 (geared version of the one9). do you really want comfort? (i guess its a major factor for your intended events) if yes the sir9 is the one to get. its noticeably flexy/springier than the air9, so has the edge for comfort. it also has all the cable guides/gear hanger to run it geared if you want. personally if i was buying again i would get the scandium for a ss and build it light, it would go like a rocket when you stamp on the pedals. i don't find either of them uncomfortable but mostly do rides up to about 3/4 hours. i doubt that you would be dissappionted with either frame.
    have you ridden a 29er or just the 69er? i find the 29er back wheel adds a lot of comfort.

phildowling
    Free Member

Thanks Keavo. Yea ridden 29er before Raced a Gary Fisher Rig for a while and have a Ti Lynskey geared frame.

Lactic
    Free Member

Took my new SIR9 for it's maiden ride last night and it is fantastic. Haven't ridden the one9 so can't compare but you won't regret buying the SIR

Clink

I started a thread on the SIR9 this morning (no replies 🙁 )

The SIR9 sounds fantastic, and am tempted, but it is sooooo expensive!

Lactic
    Free Member

Sorry clink, missed your earlier thread. They are overpriced but so is most mountain bike stuff, it's a matter of resetting your internal rip-off-ometer. I decided it was much cheaper than a turner sultan, and therefore a bargain.
    Not running it 1 by 9 but can't see how it would be a problem.

keavo
    Free Member

1×9 works fine, but you could get the slightly cheaper mcr9 to do that if you don't want ss. had mine a while, it was about £550 and i thought that was a lot of money. having said that its a pleasure to ride and i don't think about what it cost. in fact i liked it so much i bought the air9 (couldn't afford to "buy the company") 🙂
    i have to add that i'm on a warrenty replacement after the 1st one cracked. niner were easy to deal with and replaced it without any hassle.

Clink

1×9 works fine, but you could get the slightly cheaper mcr9 to do that if you don't want ss

I want to run both (probably)

niner were easy to deal with and replaced it without any hassle.

I get the impression from mtbr that Niner's customer service is good

keavo
    Free Member

$850 from speedgoat. ater post and taxes, well under £700 i think. thats where i got mine.

Clink

Ta for that. I wonder if anyone has ridden a SIR9 and a Singular and can compare??

keavo
    Free Member

got a singular fork and it rides nice and is well finished.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Niner one 9 or S.I.R 9??’ is closed to new replies.