• This topic has 19 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Night riding, is it safe?
  • beefy

Ok, so I go on regular Thursday night rides with a bunch of mates. Went out last night for a blast, maybe 2 hours max, anyway, get home to a phone call from my dad wanting to give me a roasting for being out in this weather etc etc. Now I am 32 and he is an experienced out doors kind of guy.

Anyone else get "told off" and what do you say, I just went on about perceived risk etc.

BTW, the title is rhetorical, of course its fine, IMO.

fbk
    Free Member

32 and you're being told off by your dad 😆

I'm 37, I've been night riding for a few years and I'm pretty sure my parents, along with quite a few other people, think I'm completely insane. I like it though 🙂

It's not something I often do on my own as that's perhaps pushing things a bit but, especially with modern lighting, I'm not sure it's any more "dangerous" than your average daylight ride? imho

beefy

Yeah, everyone thinks its stupid. Not really told off, he just had his bit to say.

Glad its not just me!

zeus
    Free Member

Just like riding during the day, it's as dangerous as you make it. With regards to exposure or getting lost or having an accident, your dad may have a point, but the simple precautions of not riding unknown trails and not riding alone will circumvent those issues.

There's a throry out there which says "When people tell you you're mad, then you know you're on to something good!". So go out and have fun!

========================
    Live fast, take chances!

Spunkmonkey
    Free Member

My Wife gets a bit irked if I go out on my own, but as long as there's somebody else out she doesn't mind.

She was fine until I spent a night up the hills looking for a mate who was nightriding on his own – only sign was his car still in the car park …

stoney
    Free Member

Check out our Keswick tuesday thread 😛 Of course its safe 🙄

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ok, so I go on regular Thursday night rides with a bunch of mates. Went out last night for a blast, maybe 2 hours max, anyway, get home to a phone call from my dad wanting to give me a roasting for being out in this weather etc etc. Now I am 32 and he is an experienced out doors kind of guy.

I think you need to assume the role of alpha male. It's time.

Ewan
    Free Member

I got told off by my dad (i'm 28, don't live at home etc!) for going out last night. To be fair to him someone was pulled out the canal yesterday…

mtbfix

Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back and they cannot complain too much. My missus hates it when I vanish off for a short loop and do not return for hours.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's no more dangerous than a day ride IMO, the increased risk of exposure counters the decreased risk of a speed-caused incident (for me). And taking calculated risks is part of what makes life worth living. I have parents that worry about this sort of thing with *very* good cause (not just normal parental worry), but they would never consider having a go about it as they know I've got a brain and I'm able to make my own decisions, and that the one thing I enjoy in life is getting out and experiencing the raw side of nature.

As MTBfix says, make sure someone knows when you should return and where you've gone, take a charged mobile, take a survival blanket. Be prepared, but don't stop doing things.

Drac

get home to a phone call from my dad wanting to give me a roasting for being out in this weather

Beefy earlier today.

alexpalacefan

LOL @ Drac

APF

br
    Free Member

Funny that, as my mum told me that it was only when they'd been to the Highlands that she realised how remote it was and that she then remember when I was 16 (I'm 44 now) I walked/camped West-East, alone, over my summer holiday – she said she wouldn't have let me go if she'd known…

And I hitch-hiked up and down (Ullapool to the M62/M1 junction in one lift must rank as one of the furthest?) as well.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

night riding in the snow rocks !!

andyruss
    Free Member

Biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

niterider – I cannot help but disagree. Forcing your own genitalia into a food processor, for instance, would be far more risky. Or am I just being pedantic?

andyruss
    Free Member

What you do for your sex life is your buisness.Girls must be ugly in barnsley though

moremudplease
    Free Member

was out for 4 n1/2 hours on wednesday night,with 11 other riders,felt fine till I got in and started shaking with the cold,took a hot shower,coffee n blankets to make things right,have ridden in all conditions for over 10 years and would consider myself experienced,just goes to show,shouldn,t be underestimated.

CheesybeanZ

Mrs beanz has suggested i dont ride on frozen ruts and ice at night ,
    something to do with being a clumsy accident prone clown 😳

jedi

avoid nightriding at all costs people. giant squirrels and panthers etc……….lights leave a massive charcoal footprint too

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Night riding, is it safe?’ is closed to new replies.