Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Nicolai Frame Wear with offset bushings……
  • ferrit
    Free Member

Whilst changing my shock bushing today I noticed some wear on the seatstays on my Helius AC:

I suspect this is caused by me being a naughty boy and using an offset shock bushing as here:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/Downhill-Freeride,5/offset-shock-bushings-for-slacker-head-angle,5494

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Hard to see from the picture but the hole in the centre of the bushing should face toward the front of the bike. Even if it is put in facing another direction, it should rotate under shock operation to the correct orientation. Looks like mine has rotated so that the offset hole is towards the top! (bolt is through the 2nd from left hole)

Ideas welcome!

Bit worried about the frame damage too….

ferrit
    Free Member

Anyone?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Well by fitting a non-standard shock bushing outside of what is recemmended by the manufacturers you may well have invalidated the warranty and you could be on your own I’m affraid

flow
    Free Member

Well by fitting a non-standard shock bushing outside of what is recemmended by the manufacturers you may well have invalidated the warranty and you could be on your own I’m affraid

He would be on his own if he didn’t. They are useless.

IA

Do you have the offsets in both ends of the shock or just one?

It occurs that the ones in the rear link will rotate as the shock compresses (and so the top link rotates). So perhaps as it’s mostly rotated (a bit) when in compression, when it fully extends they don’t rotate back and it can rub, if that makes sense?

What’s the wear on the shock look like?

steve_b77
    Free Member

They’re not useless Flow, just not quick in response.

I’ve only seen one case on here – and that claim is dubious – where they didn’t sort the bike out. The borked AM doesn’t count as it was clearly badly maintained and uncared for by it’s previous owner.

However trying a claim when you’ve modified a component is more than likely a route to no where and rightly so in my mind.

Not that I’m saying the OP is going to attempt a warranty claim, but he will more than likely end up paying for a new bit I’d imagine.

STATO
    Free Member

Hard to see from the picture but the hole in the centre of the bushing should face toward the front of the bike. Even if it is put in facing another direction, it should rotate under shock operation to the correct orientation. Looks like mine has rotated so that the offset hole is towards the top! (bolt is through the 2nd from left hole)

Ideas welcome!

Bit worried about the frame damage too….

From my understanding of the helius, the linkage is vertical at full extension (no horizontal like you have oriented the photo) therefore the ‘hole’ in the bush is essentially pointing to the ‘front’ of the bike, no?

And the damage looks minor, nothing mare than a scrape by the looks of it. Clean it up and slap some primer on there to stop any corrosion.

messiah
    Free Member

When trying different length shocks on bikes they advise you to do a clash check by taking the shock off and taking the linkage through it’s range of motion – I guess this is not something you would necessarily think to do when using offset bushings… and yet there is obviously a clash there. Buff it smooth and move on… I doubt it’s done any structural harm.

ferrit
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks – to reply to a few:

z1ppy, flow, steve_b77:

I’ve had nothing but good service from Nicolai UK and also from Gravity Sports (distributor I used) but not saying others haven’t! I’m also aware that I’ve technically invalidated the warranty by using offset bushes. Bad me! I’m not looking for a warranty replacement – just more curious as to if anyone else has seen this.

IA:

I only have an offset bush on the lower (shaft) end of the shock. What you say makes sense, I think this is what has happened. And no wear on the shock. The bit that rubs the frame is actually the spacers each side of the shock between it and the seatstay attach point.

Think the only thing to do here is just clean it up and move on! The damage isn’t massive so hopefully should be ok. Might look for an offset bush for the top bushing instead though…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Ferrit – me too, that’s why i’m on my 2nd.

Wouldn’t one of them Works components angle set thingies be better? Or do they not fit?

ferrit
    Free Member

Yep – I looked at them also. Keen to drop the BB a wee bit too though, hence why the offset bushes made sense to me.

Think one for the other end of the shock instead might be the way forward!

Northwind

From the pic, it doesn’t look like it’s anything to worry about. My Hemlock doesn’t work with the offset bushings either, so I took them out, some frames are designed with tight enough clearances that you can’t take liberties with the compressed shock length.

Obviously not a warranty claim though, if it was causaed by the bushings.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Looks like cosmetic damage only. I did wonder about offset bushings – seem a bit of a shonky solution.

Northwind

It can work well- made a pleasing difference in my old Ellsworth, which had enough leeway in the frame to go with 4mm offset and no clashes. But not for all bikes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Nicolai Frame Wear with offset bushings……’ is closed to new replies.