Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Next year's trip abroad … any suggestions?
  • Fat-boy-fat

I'm trying to get ideas for a biking boys weekend abroad next year for a combined 90th birthday party (well, that's the excuse we're using anyway).

We're looking for somewhere mainly XC but with big mountains. We've ridden the Portes du Soliel a few times, Lake Garda and had a cracking time away with Ride Sierra Nevada in the past.

Current running favourites are somewhere different in the Alps and Whistler.

Also (and I know this is fussy), we're looking for somewhere we can fly direct from Scotland.

Any bright ideas?

titusrider
    Free Member

Can recommend a backcountry week with trail addiction – no idea if you can fly from up north though

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Verbier with BV. They seemed to be able to cater for all tastes whether it be full on DH or more XC orientated. Plus I've never seen trails or scenery like it… out of this world.

uplink
    Free Member

Whistler for the weekend?

100mphplus
    Free Member

Whistler, T2R All Mountain package;- http://www.ticket2ridebc.com/summer/holidays.php?id=90

I ventured out of the park a bit this year and did some XC routes in Pemberton and Whistler and they were mint, mixture of easy/smooth to technical singletrack climbs with fantastic singletrack descents. If you can afford the add on the Chilcotins XC riding is biking nirvana, did that 4 years ago. They fly you up to an alpine lake and then you have a 5 hours ride back to the Tyax Hotel – absolutely stunning.

You won't regret it and there are direct flights from Glasgow to Vancouver with Canadian Affair and Air Transat.

Mention the code T2R01 and you'll get a 5% discount too.

wl
    Free Member

Another vote for Verbier – absolutely amazing backcountry riding or incredible downhills accessed by the lift system. In fact, the backcountry riding has incredible downhills too. Bike Verbier are the crew to contact – no one knows the area anything like as well as them, and their holidays are spot on in every respect.

wl
    Free Member

I'd forget Canada for anything less than a week, and that's pushing it really. Personally, I'd want a minimum of 10 days to justify the expense, flight and hassle compared to the Alps or Spain.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Whilster for the weekend is a no no. It simply is not worth it, unless you actually live nearby.

You could go to norway (oppal), les arc, morzine, verbier, Levi in finland.

ahwiles
    Free Member

les vosges – much closer than the 'proper' alps, not much in the way of lifts (lac blanc?), but i keep hearing very good things about the singletrack xc stuff.

close enough to calais to consider driving… (sort of)

Fat-boy-fat

Cheers. I think Whistler is still on but maybe not for the trip in question. Verbier and les vosges sound good though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Morocco and the Atlas Mountains.

Astonishing.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I was about to say Morocco Cycleactive do an awesome trip.

Trekster

+1 bikeverbier

I would like to try Slovenia tho, the one features in the mag a few issues back.
    http://mobile-adventures.net/index_one.php

Or; http://www.cycleactive.co.uk/mountain/europe/slovenia.html

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I can't fault cycle active as a holiday firm, rich our guide was brilliant the trip and organisation were ace too x

cycleactive
    Free Member

I know forums aren't for selling so i'll keep it brief – if you want to talk through options or ideas for your type of riding then give us a call, but it sounds like the High Atlas singletrack we do in Morocco is going to be the thing for you. Depends on time of year though – your other options are primarily summer choices but Morocco is too hot then – we're busy from October to december and then again April and May. Check out this gallery for an idea of the riding:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cycleactive/sets/72157611957649799/
    Cheers
    Chris@CycleActive

Potdog
    Free Member

Come and have a few beers with us in Tenerife 😆

jedi

contact smoke at bushpilotbiking and tour the interior of bc, canada

Pauly

Check out Riviera Bike, run by Nasher from this forum. Not been to BC, but have been all over France & Spain and the trails there are amazing if you like them natural and not over-ridden.
    Based in the Maritime Alps so you an have a day at the beach too if you fancy.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Next year's trip abroad … any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.