• This topic has 16 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Newcastle people, I need your help!
  • Kahurangi

I need somewhere nice in the city centre to go and take someone out for dinner. Not fussed about what type of food though I’m always happy with French or Italian. I know the Bouchon in Hexham is v good, but I need somewhere in the city.

Good food that’s not going to bankrupt me shouldn’t be too hard in toon, only I’ve not lived here long enough to find it!

Anyone?

jonb
    Free Member

Zizzis on dean street
    Starters and Puds
    Barn Asia
    As You like it (Jesmond)
    Gusto on the quayside

Out of those Barn Asia or Starters and Puds are my favorite

dickydutch

+1 for Barn Asia. Always brilliant food.
    Little Saigon on the bigg market is also very good and pretty cheap.
    If youre after curry, the spice cube in the gate is also excellent. the chef in there has just won curry chef of the year North East.

MTT
    Free Member

Start for a dink in Bacchus (42-48 High Bridge) and pop in to Pani’s Cafe just down the street, it’s not remotely flash but the clientele are a little older, the atmosphere and food is second to none. Assuming you are out to impress it has an air of ‘I’ve bothered to find out and not just flash some cash’

carbon337
    Free Member

+1 Pani’s was nice when we went – really relaxed place.

jamesca
    Free Member

blackfriars, oldest resturant in the country or so they say. food is very good, probs the best i’ve had in newcastle. Pani’s is also nice

Kahurangi

Cheers Jon, Barn Sia does sound very good.

I’ll also scope out Pani’s. Thanks all.

Must get out with your MAC lot sometime soon – is there a location for this weekend’s ride yet?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Cafe 21 is one of the best places to eat in the city and if you go for the early evening menu it is incredible value for money.

Pani’s is nice, it is popular with thr pre theatre crowd and always rammed. The menu (Scilian) doesnt change but food is satisfactory.

Blackfriars is a nice place, but the food has never impressed me, and i’d much rather go to Pan Haggertys.

Starters and Puds has shut.

Marco Polo is a great Italian option, as is Avanti (not city centre, it is in Jesmond) which is an intimate affair. If you fancy Indian then The Valley Junction is superb and much better than curry houses. For a more fun experience the Flat Bread Cafe is great and offers a range of Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

+1 Little Saigon

-32 As You like it

mrchrispy

sandwich from babs?

🙂

hugorune

Longworth House on Hunter Street is a nice little Tapas bar, then a beer or two at Isobar on Honeysuckle. You were talking about Newcastle in NSW right?

colnagokid

Greggs?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Don’t you mean Greggs of Gosforth?

Xylene
    Free Member

lots of places in newcastle, but it depends upon what you want and budget.

Butterfly Cabinet in Heaton – really nice food, odd decor, but shuts at 5pm.
    Bangkok Cafe – ok for Thai food
    smoked Duck restaurant on stowel st, missus loves it, reminds her of korea
    cafe mozart if it’s still open opposite train station in central hotel – used to be not bad for the price
    stateside american diner on pink lane opposite train station- nice burgers there.

warton
    Free Member

Cafe 21 is good, owned by Terry Laybourne, he also owns Jesmond dene house, which is the best restaurant in town, but mega bucks to eat there.

Best Italian IMO is Secco, its pretty much the only Italian in Newcastle that really cooks proper, interesting, regional Italian food Secco linky

Just outside newcastle centre , in Sandyford, there’s a hidden Gem called Caffe Zonzo, again italian, small menu, really great atmosphere, and great staff.

As mentioned above Pan Haggertys gets good reviews, and I’ve only heard good things about it, but never been.

Blackfriars is an incredible building, but food is a bit hit and miss in my experience.

there’s a good tapas bar near St James Park called El Coto, and as others have said, Barn Asia is very good

There’s not much choice in Newcastle for really good food, never really understood why TBH, no good steak houses, or French….

EDIT: don’t go to Flat Bread Cafe, as mentioned by CaptJon, its closed down

ChrisHeath

Best Italian IMO is Secco, its pretty much the only Italian in Newcastle that really cooks proper, interesting, regional Italian food

Agreed. Paradiso next door (above Popolo) has always been pretty good too.

DrJ

Maybe a problem with Pani’s if your guest spots you ogling the waitresses …

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Newcastle people, I need your help!’ is closed to new replies.