Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Newbie Single speed (dumb) question
  • organic355
    Free Member

So, thinking of building up a single speed and I got to thinking about wheels and more specifically hubs & freewheels.

I am assuming you need some kind of wider hub at the back to take up the space that the cassette would normally fit in as you only have one cog at the back?

Sorry dumb question I know, but what would I be looking for in terms of wheels/hubs etc?

thomthumb
    Free Member

you can or you could get a spacer kit on normal freehub

Colin-T

Much cheaper initially to just get a cog and spacers (Charlie the Bikemonger supplied mine and is highly recommended – I got the full kit with singulator, chain etc). They fit on a standard freehub and work well enough until you decide to get a bling SS specific wheel/bike or if you decide otherwise you've not had to splash out a fortune.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GavinT
    Free Member

Spacer kit FTW.

organic355
    Free Member

FTW?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

For the win.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I always planned to get a singlespeed specific rear hub but never got round to it. I ride about 95% singlespeed and have been running a spacer kit with a 16t sprocket on my MTB for about 5 years now without any problems.

Splash-man
    Free Member

As above – spacer kit is the way to go. When you want to move the wheels on it will certainly makes things much easier.
    The same goes for buying in the first place.
    Always used one myself as well.

Rickos
    Free Member

A specific hub just has wider spaced flanges (he said flange 😆 ) so the spokes are just wider apart at the hub. The hub itself is the same width, natch.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Newbie Single speed (dumb) question’ is closed to new replies.