Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 334 total)
  • New Trek Stache 29+
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

The dropout can adjust the length from 405 to 415

Bloody impressive though

I like moving the drive side stay up and out the way

rollodes
    Free Member

I love the look of the Stache 5. Shame no UK listing for this though. I’ve asked local Trek dealer anyway to see if there’s a way to bring them in.

Northwind

Estays are welcome back any time. Boost’s not invited.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Perhaps all that are interested (and those who are not) contact out local Trek dealers and ask them to ask Trek for availability

Can’t believe this bike will only be in the US – phaw

Clink

Can’t believe this bike will only be in the US – phaw

It’s not. I contacted Trek UK earlier in the week:

Thanks for your enquiry, we are bringing back the Stache in a 29+. There will be two bikes and a frameset available.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ah, well done Matt – finger on the pulse as usual 🙂

Edit: Wait – it’s the Stache 5 which has been reported to be one not being sold here

Clink
    sillyoldman

And in the US -http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/trail/stache/

You’ll need to scroll down to see them…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Clink – Member
    Trek UK website:

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/search/results/?q=stache

So, no Stache 5

ajantom

As a Stache owner already, I wouldn’t really want the wheels to be any bigger – but I have been mulling over trying B+ on it at some point.

Who’s ridden 29+ then? Is it just sort of more roll-overy?

29+ is ace, and my Krampus had pretty much replaced all of my bikes since I bought it two years ago. As a serial bike builder and fettler (something my riding mates will attest to!) I’ve reduced the bikes to the Krampus and a full-sus for more DH orientated stuff.
    The Krampus gets most of the riding time, and it’s just as happy on wide open moorland treks as it is on techy, root infested singletrack.
    I’ve even been riding the Knards over the last 2 winters with no complaints. Ok they’re not perfect in claggy mud, but what tyres are? They give better grip and roll better than most other tyres. They also seem to be the worlds best wearing tyre. The rear is only just starting to show wear after 2 years and probably 2000+ miles.

Cheezpleez

I love this bike. It’s got so many good ideas built into it – and there’s a purple one!

I just hope this is the first of a whole class of bikes like this.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Isn’t the BB and surrounding area machined out of one piece, or something like to overcome the raised stay flex?

brant
    Free Member

The BB shell and non driveside chainstay bit and lord knows what else are forged in one piece. It’s the sort of super manufacture that you can do when you know you’re going to make 20,000 of them I guess.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Shame no Stache 5 but I’d be interested in frame only and build it up rigid to my tastes. Hmmmmm………

Clink

Shame no Stache 5 but I’d be interested in frame only and build it up rigid to my tastes. Hmmmmm………

Don’t forget silly hub standards.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Sent to Trek UK:

Hello

There is currently much talk and excitement over the new 29+ Stache 5

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-trek-stache-29

It has been reported the 5 will only be available in the US and not here in the UK

Could you please confirm or dispel this somewhat distressing rumor, as there are many UK riders showing serious interest in this bike?

Many thanks

ajantom

Is it really distressing you? Really? I know it looks nice, but priorities 😆

BigDummy
    Free Member

I just hope this is the first of a whole class of bikes like this.

Spesh Fuse and Ruze are 27.5+, but look pretty sorted.

🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Those bikes are also quite exciting

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Funky hub size is a bit annoying though!

AlexSimon

brant – Member

The BB shell and non driveside chainstay bit and lord knows what else are forged in one piece. It’s the sort of super manufacture that you can do when you know you’re going to make 20,000 of them I guess.
    So what’s your best guess as to numbers?
    How many frames will be sold with that forged piece?
    I’m guessing <800 worldwide, but other people will be better informed.

bonesetter
    Free Member

What’s the problem with the hub size (risk of daft Q)

ajantom

well it’s a 148mm width on the back and 110mm wide (with a 15mm axle) on the front.

No problem with the hub size, apart from it needing new wheels, or at the very least adaptors. I guess companies like Hope will be able to make up adaptors pretty easily.

Their argument is that a wider spacing between the hub flanges will give you stronger wheels. But is an extra few mm each side really going to make any difference?

BigDummy
    Free Member

is an extra few mm each side really going to make any difference?

Well, Trek and Spesh’s enginerds evidently think so, and SRAM’s agree. Or it’s a huge conspiracy to somehow “make” us all buy a new frame that won’t fit our old wheels, of course.

There is an increasingly strong case for just buying a new bike from time to time and ignoring everything that happens between those times. 🙂

ajantom

There probably is a strength increase. But, is it needed as I can’t say that my current wheels have ever failed!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I read over on mtbr that new endcaps won’t work as the disc spacing is different, or some such. Which is annoying. I’d like to try one of these with a Bluto and 4.8” rubber up front.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I can’t say that my current wheels have ever failed!

No indeed, mine neither! I’ve never knowingly detected wheel flex. But I suspect that’s just a version of Things Never To Say. Someone out there has, and Trek and SRAM reckoned it was worth sorting (unless we accept the “bicycle industry is incredibly cynical” theory).

I found the Vernon Felton video rather interesting.

🙂

BillOddie

I read over on mtbr that new endcaps won’t work as the disc spacing is different, or some such. Which is annoying. I’d like to try one of these with a Bluto and 4.8” rubber up front.

End caps – No

End Caps and Disc Spacers (with longer disc bolts presumably) – Yes!

For the thousands of older standard hubs still in use we are also working on hub and disc spacers to allow them to be fitted into the new wider frames and forks, however they will not bring all the strength advantages brought with this new size.

From http://www.hopetech.com/wider/

bonesetter
    Free Member

This is correct, no Stache 5 in UK, it is a US only bicycle.

Regards

Stan Krzyzaniak
    Trek Bicycle Corporation Ltd.
    Registered in England No: 2355933
    Registered Office: 9 Sherbourne Drive, Tilbrook, Milton Keynes, MK7 8HX

Clink

Did you ask them why?

They didn’t bring in the Superfly ss either.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/superfly/superfly_ss/

rOcKeTdOg

Frame only available for £700 I was told today. Ouch!

Clink

Bargain!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Not quite

Wonder how much the CF 5 fork is to buy state side?

bonesetter
    Free Member

700 is a lot when you consider it’s $1,600 for full bike (£1070)

Mal-ec
    Free Member

And new hubs e.t.c.

takisawa2

Ouch. Bit pricey then, the frame only deal… 😕

bonesetter
    Free Member

Can anyone find a frame and fork price in the US

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

A bit speedy, without fork too !.,

bonesetter
    Free Member

I sent an inquiry to a US Trek dealer and frame is $899

FFS! What gives

brant
    Free Member

Innovative frame with unique features in “expensive” shocker.

Fear not custodians of low price, many will copy and make poor attempts.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘New Trek Stache 29+’ is closed to new replies.