Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 334 total)
  • New Trek Stache 29+
  • andyg1966

munrobiker : PM sent

sefton
    Free Member

What are the forks like?

I saw the specalized fuse pro has a reba and its 11sped

funkmasterp

Just joined the Stache club. Bought a used 2016 Stache 7, just finished cleaning it and installing a Vee Bulldozer tubeless up front. Here’s hoping it holds overnight so that I can take it around Marple or Macc Forest tomorrow on its maiden voyage.

Currently have a chuppacabra out back, but it’s pretty worn. Does anybody have recommendations for a rear tyre that doesn’t have dairy lea sidewalls?

I’ll try and post some photos later. Can’t wait to take it out and see how it rides 😀

Alex

WTB Bridger on the rear would be a good value option. Or a trail boss or even a ranger if you get the tough carcass one.

funkmasterp

Thanks Alex. The Bulldozer seems like a good front option with decent sidewalls. I’m hoping it’ll survive okay. I’ll have a look at the Bridger and Trailboss now. I was going to get the Surly Dirt Wizard until I saw the price 😯

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I love the vee bulldozer… Bit on the heavy side but Ploughs through anything and stiff sidewalls mean low pressure.

Still running the chapapapapcurcaracatsaasas at the back. Done about 1200 miles on it now with zero issues. Pressure is the key with these tyres though 13 psi and they squirm all over the place. 15 is perfect. Not had an issue with cheesy sidewalls but then perhaps that all depends where you ride (my riding is mainly Surrey Hills / swinley / tunnel hill so no big sharp stuff)

Oh and earlier question regarding the 34 ring – yes I did have to make a small shim to move the crank over a tad to get the clearance required. Great thing is that standard ht2 shimano cranks fit (24mm spindle) but may try a 30 at some point when this wears out.

Love the semi fat format so much that i have frankenbastardised a cotic solaris with all the stuff left in my shed from previous builds:

It’s a lot of fun

iamtheresurrection

@chunky – thanks! Looks perfect 🙂

funkmasterp

WTB Bridger on the rear would be a good value option. Or a trail boss or even a ranger if you get the tough carcass one.

Are these 27+ or have I got extremely weak Google-Fu as I can’t find them in 29+ anywhere?

km79
    Free Member

CRC are doing Maxxis Chronicle 29+ for £44 right now!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/maxxis-chronicle-mtb-tyre-exo-tr/rp-prod144792

funkmasterp

Thanks Km79, are they a good choice for the rear in your opinion?

km79
    Free Member

For me they are a better all rounder than a Knard but not as good as a Dirt Wizard in the muddy stuff. Problem is there isn’t much to choose from when it comes to 29+.

There is a comparison table which may help if you scroll down a bit in this review.

Review: The Maxxis Chronicle 29+ Tire

funkmasterp

Thanks for the link. Yep, I’m just finding out about the dearth of 29+ tyres. The Vee bulldozer seems like a good, tough choice for the front. I’ll find out tomorrow hopefully when I take the Stache for its first proper ride. It still weighs less than my previous bike, so should be good 🙂

slowster
    Free Member

CRC are doing Maxxis Chronicle 29+ for £44 right now!

If you buy two then they are only £39 each (£10 off for Clearance items totalling over £75).

funkmasterp

Well I’ve just taken my Stache out around Macc Forest for its first ride. The climbs were hideous, but that speaks more to my fitness than the bike at this point. Oh my, the bike loves descending though. I could just plough in to or over things that would have caused me issues on my previous HT and the faster it got, the better it seemed to cope.

It had so much grip climbing off road too and was surprisingly sprightly on the roads to get to the trail. The only thing holding it back at this point is the rider 😳 I may need to drop the pressure more in the tyres (currently 16 psi front and back), look to possibly shorten the stem slightly and maybe lower the bars. Had that going over the front feeling a couple of times.

Initial impressions are that I’ve bought a cracking bike and I can’t wait to get back out and work on my fitness.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Don’t give up on the chupacabras! Since it’s dried out, I’m having such a hoot on the stache again! It feels like a new bike…..
    Does anyone know if the hope tapered integrated headset is correct for it? I want the Chris king (inset 2, I think?) but the hope is almost 1/3rd the price…. mine is still ok, but I want to pre-empt any issues!

iain65
    Free Member

I have a few Trek MTB’s and always change to a hope bottom headset bearing as the standard bearings fitted are rubbish, I have one sitting ready for my Stache when the std bearing inevitably fails in the next few weeks! Already done the Top fuel, procaliber, wife’s remedy etc…..

martinh
    Free Member

DHR is now officially my favourite 29+ front tyre.
    Still trying to find the perfect backone though. Bomboloni for now but at best its only OK

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yep Iain… One thing I don’t like about my trek. I ride in actual rain (shock horror) and the stock bb lasted me about 300 miles. I purchased a direct replacement from my lbs which did a bit better over the summer and got around 600 miles out of it. I have now fitted a shimano xt pf92 and still running lovely and smooth at 700 miles and counting.

This one is great if any of you guys need a new bb for the stache.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-xt-mt800-mtb-press-fit-bottom-bracket/rp-prod135902?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain%20Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-MB-SE-Shopping%20QLB%20Manufacturer%20Mobile&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7CsSt8ImGYz_dm%7Cpcrid%7C161814140553%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C493103UK

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Martin I am desperate to try the minion dhr… Reckon the bulldozer / minion combo would be perfect (for me).

One thing I do find with the vee bulldozer up front is the significant gyroscopic effect of the front wheel….. At speed (and I mean fast) you can really feel the wheel’s reluctance to pitch over. Anyone else get this?

Worried that the minion may exhibit the same issue. Interestingly I don’t feel anything with the bonty chapacrasasssass… Probably because they are around 300g lighter which may be enough to stop/reduce the gyroscopic effect.

tomlevell

1100km on a 5 ran through a fairly filthy winter with minimal cleaning. Headset is fine and BB has a bit of creaking but nothing to make me change it. Can’t argue with that for the cost of the bike.

We don’t have gritty mud though.

Tyres still loving the Chups, might think differently if we had a lot of fast rocky downhills. Hopefully I’ve sorted the rear tubeless leak out now and I can maintain a pressure and get it to the sweetspot rather than having to reinflate every week to a different pressure as I’m invaribly in a rush.

iain65
    Free Member

Thanks doncorleoni, I love Trek’s but I do wish they could put decent headset’s into them! The BB’s are okay but the standard SRAM unit is pretty poor, I’m running a Hope one in my Top Fuel which works well and got a Chris King to try on the Stache as I use it through the winter and reckon a 5 year warranty might be useful but the BB shell tapers in the middle of the carbon frame and you can’t fit it, so it’s probably another Hope one for that as well.

st

I’ve been meaning to post mine for a little while now.

2017 9.6 and it’s awesome. Now my only bike and hopefully will keep me going for a while.

I ended up swapping the SRAM stuff to XT which I already had plus a few other swaps.

The main thing is committing to the Minions which are more than I’d ever have contemplated spending on tyres before now!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Insanely dry and dusty out there (and quick). Not complaining though.

andyg1966

2018 Trek Stache Carbon

Evans

rOcKeTdOg

Looks gteat with the lefty

bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone want a XL 5 with 27.5 wheels??

LMT
    Free Member

Anyone ride a 650b+ and a 29+ is there much difference, I’ve got a fuse and it’s a great bike, main reason is im short so thought fuse would be better but itching to try a 29+

solidrooster
    Free Member

Bonesetter I might be interested in the XL

rOcKeTdOg

What size is XL in “?

km79
    Free Member

650b+ and a 29+ is there much difference

Yes, IMHO 29+ is much more of a monster truck feeling compared to 650+. It rides up, over and along anything and everything. Traction is phenomenal and the momentum/speed the wheels hold is better.

munrobiker
    Free Member

That 2018 model looks very serious. Descendant cranks, 120mm Pikes and a dropper. That nicely matches the abuse I think mine can handle.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Love it with the lefty too…..it looks spot on!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Trek’s sizing is a little curious – they give two sizes, one is called virtual, whatever that means

I found the ‘XL’ to come up small for an XL, and really a bit small for me at 6’3″

I’d say if you’re anywhere 5’10” upwards you need xl

PM if interested

rOcKeTdOg

Rigid stache 5?

Stedlocks
    Free Member

See f this works….

My 5 bikepacking the ridgeway/Bristol/bath and around…

Does anyone know how to make that^ blimmin Flickr link show a s apicture?

Grrrr!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yes RTD – 5 rigid

XL comes up tiny

munrobiker
    Free Member

2018 one now comes in a bike packing version, a complete contrast to that rad looking 9.8. It is a bike that covers a real range of riding styles, from a really tough hardcore hardtail to a serious nichemonger bike.

Introducing the 2018 Trek 1120… a 29+ ‘Bikepacking Stache’.

zippykona

Does that bike really need a dropper?

munrobiker
    Free Member

What do we reckon the maximum fork travel is on these? I’ve just ordered a set of Revelations – I slung the front wheel off my Stache into a mate’s 29″ boost 2018 Revs and it fits nicely, and I fancy a bit of extra travel.

The Revs I’ve bought are 150mm, which is clearly too much so I need to buy a new air shaft. I’d like it to be fairly burly so what do we reckon – I know people run them at 140mm with 650b? That sounds pretty lairy, and it’s only 20mm more than stock. That sounds like a real laugh, and it’d slacken the headangle off by a degree. Or is 130mm the safe bet?

tomlevell

With what size wheels?

Doing that might sort my current bicycle related thoughts out. Might look into some 29er Pikes or similar for my rigid 5 to give me something different to ride without buying a full new bike. I’d probably look at running them at 120mm with 2.3″ 29er tyres front and rear.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘New Trek Stache 29+’ is closed to new replies.