Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 334 total)
  • New Trek Stache 29+
  • Clink

Thought this might have been done…

Singletrack

Pinkbike

Mtbr

Trek

richen987
    Free Member

looks good,nice alternative to Surley, i like the drop outs and the curved seattube, a nice unique arrangement.
    Also seems Manitou are all over the + sizing, what with this and the Rocky Mountain.
    seems the low pressure shocks and bikepacking + sizes go together quite well.
    Will have a look when they get over here.

rOcKeTdOg

Looks awful. Is it boost 148?

BigDummy
    Free Member

This looks epic. Very keen.

🙂

slackman99
    Free Member

Looks properly expensive too! £1900 for the base level version with front suss with no dropper. If it was about £4-500 cheaper I might have been interested

BillOddie

As a Krampus rider, this is ace if only for a proper 29+ fork option and if they bring the bikes to the UK they’ll have to bring the tyres in too!

rOcKeTdOg

Although I have just inquired about the frame only price 😯 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

There’s a video here that features Trek’s guys saying they committed to 29+ rather than 27.5+ because it’s just better, even though it’s harder to design around.

That seems very cheering to me, and it’s another ringing endorsement of Surly’s idiot-savantism. I really am going to get around to a Krampus…

🙂

Clink

Looks properly expensive too! £1900 for the base level version with front suss with no dropper. If it was about £4-500 cheaper I might have been interested

I agree. It looks proper fun though!

scotroutes

Very interested in the frame only option paird up with some 27.5″ wheels

superstu
    Free Member

I like the look of this, but the stache always seemed a great bike anyway. Why not just launch a separate model (I appreciate its only a name)? I guess they’ll phase the’normal’ Stache out now…

leftyboy
    Free Member

IMHO Another Californian specific niche dreamt up by the marketing department to make people part with their hard earned

scotroutes

Surly aren’t based in California

tootallpaul

Like it. But I am a 29+ convert already…

Leftyboy – have you ridden one then?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I do like that but for the price. A slightly more forgivable way to get us to part with our money!

GregMay
    Free Member

Didn’t we do this already:

brant
    Free Member

I love the fact that Trek’s size lets them do awesome tooling to make the BB and chainstay part in one forging. Epic.

rOcKeTdOg

IMHO Another Californian specific niche dreamt up by the marketing department to make people part with their hard earned

A bit like the “mountainbike” in fact

simon_g

Like that a lot.

Shame it looks like a smaller range than the US – theirs goes down to a Stache 5 in 29+. No regular 29 Stache on the site either, I love mine to bits.

munrobiker
    Free Member

E stays? What the chuffing chuff?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Oh, and the prices look “brave” for a hardtail that will likely be a second bike.

leftyboy
    Free Member

ootallpaul no not ridden one but having worked in advertising/marketing for over 30 years I’m very cynical about the latest greatest thing, Sea Otter is all about marketing and bringing something ‘new’ to the market. Being 5′ 10″ the 29ers I’ve tried seemed to tall so I settled on a Whyte with 27.5 wheels as the geometry/spec/price suited my needs/wants. 🙂

scotroutes I know Surly aren’t based in California but the American market is very different to the UK one and (unless somethings changed recently) the biggest market for off road bikes is America followed by the UK. The images all look like the sort of trails where riding any bike would be fun but I can’t see it’s showing why we need 29+ again just IMHO

As always I guess it’s down to individual choice, if you’re riding a bike of any description then that’s a good thing IMHO 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

Looks great to me both in concept and aesthetics. Can’t see myself buying one but I really like the idea.

bueller
    Free Member

I like the rigid one but TREK have “no plans to bring it to the UK at this time” apparently.

househusband

I like the rigid one but TREK have “no plans to bring it to the UK at this time” apparently.

Bummer… that’s the one that appeals!

eddie11
    Free Member

Bummer… that’s the one that appeals!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…

goes away to kick some kittens.

STATO
    Free Member

Oh, and the prices look “brave” for a hardtail that will likely be a second bike.

True, but when you walk into a bike shop that is a trek dealer, likelihood is you’ll be clamering for a ‘cheap’ £2k rigid after seeing how much the trek FS cost these days.

chakaping
    Free Member

As a Stache owner already, I wouldn’t really want the wheels to be any bigger – but I have been mulling over trying B+ on it at some point.

Who’s ridden 29+ then? Is it just sort of more roll-overy?

Clink

I looked at the Superfly rigid ss last year, but not available in the UK. Frustrating.

But then I got my Stooge 😈

Clink

I have 29+ on front of my Stooge. Bit more comfort, doesn’t get hung-up on small trail obstacles and most importantly people look and stare – ” look at your big tyre!” 😆

GregMay
    Free Member

I have. Krampus and the new Jones 29+.

There is a lot of fettling with tyre pressures – but that may have been down to the Knards…which are pants in anything bar the dry.
    Having all that undampned boing at low pressures gives amazing grip… and rebound if you pop off something.

Adding in suspension..that’ll make it interesting.

tootallpaul

Exactly.

And oodles and oodles of grip. I can climb anything now. And I’m a fat f**ker!

rOcKeTdOg

I’m a bit under whealmed (29+ front) but them I’ve been riding a fatty all winter & have been spoilt with the amount of grip

BillOddie

Aye, roll-overy, grippy and not as draggy as a fat bike.

As you have a HUGE contact patch you can run shallow tread tyres that roll along nicely and still get oodles of grip.

Like these:

This from the Surly Blog when the Krampus was launched explains it well:

“The Krampus is a mountain bike….. with more traction, a smoother ride, and better geometry for high speed. The benefit over a fat bike is that this bike uses normal stuff and it doesn’t HAVE to be built like anything special. The bike is nimble like a regular 29er, but confidence inspiring like a fatbike.

The Pugsley makes me want to shift down in to the granny ring and see how much shit I can run over/go through. The Krampus makes me want to up shift, hit the first chunk of shit, and try to jump the rest of the crap. Lean back, hang on, and ride that wild horse.”

I reckon those Treks will be mental fun.

chakaping
    Free Member

And oodles and oodles of grip. I can climb anything now. And I’m a fat f**ker!

I remember you being very tall! I think you planted the first seed of 29er curiosity in my mind actually.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Stooge Blue too

bonesetter
    Free Member

Is there any other ’29’er’ bike with a shorter CS length than 405mm which the Syache has?

ben98
    Free Member

Bonesetter- I can’t find where you’ve found the chainstay length of the stache, but 405mm would be crazy especially with 29+ tires. The Zealous Division ( http://zealousbikeco.com/?portfolio=division-frameset ) has very very short chainstays and they only quote at 415mm. I’m a bit confused if I’m honest….

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Looks fantastic!

johnnystorm

I think the pink bike review said 405mm was when running normal 29er tyres.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘New Trek Stache 29+’ is closed to new replies.