Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New Snowboard Recommendations
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Hi,

Want a new board next season and figure its probably wise to get a last seasons model now. I’m after a fairly high end all terrain freestyle board, directional twin, 157-158, standard width for all round use including powder, good pop. Probably prefer a standard camber but open to others.

I’ve done 2 seasons so have a reasonable riding level and don’t really want a noodle. I want a board I can ride fast on and off piste but still take in the park, not too fussed about rails these days.

Any recommendations? So far seen the Nitro Eero Ettala 157, Salomon Official and K2 Slayblade. Budget £300 tops.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I have a K2 Slayblade and it is amazing. I had a cambered Rome Agent before that (stiff, all mountain freestyle board).
    The Slayblade is much more stable when straightlining, I guess because of the flat base, the base is just as quick (the Rome was faaast), it holds an edge well (161 length, I am 95kg). It is not quite as stiff as the Rome, but still very stable at speed and in my opinion, is easier and more fun to ride.

(it sounds like I didn’t like the Rome, which isn’t true – it was ace, the Slayblade is just better)

Wholeheartedly recommended.

McHamish
    Free Member

I have a Rome Anthem…it’s super.

It’s a few years old now and was one of the higher end boards at the time, and out of the price limit you mentioned. Although they seem to have split it now with the Anthem and Anthem SS, so you could get the Anthem – and possibly last seasons Anthem SS.

You can go quick on it and it has little or no wobble, stopping or turning sharp isn’t a problem and it’ll dig in well on hardpack. It also has a bit of pop if you want to fart about, and although directional it isn’t overly so so going fakie is comfortable.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

Any moment now that Flashheart fella will be along to recommend you buy a pair of skis.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Actaully got a 2007 Rome Agent but bought it second hand off a sponsored rider so only used it in the snowdomes (rails) and powder as the edges were pretty blunt. Seemed like a great board and its on my list. Think the Anthem might be a bit too freeride, no doubt its a great board though.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I had the 06/07 Agent, with the dark purple top and blue base. that what you’ve got?
    I don’t think they changed it the next year other than the graphics, 08/09 it was changed more fundamentally I think.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Thats the one. Want to try something different if I’m honest although I have seen a few of last years Agents around the £300 mark.

Whats the Slayblade like at high speed carving, buttering and in powder?

Stuey01
    Free Member

I found it very stable at speed and hold’s it’s edge well.

In powder, in theory it’s better than a cambered board. I haven’t had much opportunity to try it out, I’m not a seasonnaire and been unlucky with conditions.

Buttering, easier than the Agent, due to the flat base (no camber to press out) and it’s a little softer. It is not a noodly jib board so it’s not brilliant for buttering, but you can’t have everything.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Wouldn`t be without my Gnu Park Pickle probably get a 2011 156 or 159 cm for £300 ish, rocks on everything, Am only an average boarder but love this board to bits.Have fun with whatever you choose.

cr500dom
    Free Member

(Snowboarding for 12 years, including 6 full seasons and minimum of 30+ days on snow in the years I didnt do full seasons.
    I`m 5’6″ and normally ride a 155-157cm board)

I`d recommend you try a Dupraz D1

I had a Santa Cruz Guerrilla Division technical Pipe board and a Never Summer Evo and wanted something for Powder

I Demoed a 6′ D1 Standard (They are the same shape, but 3 different board stiffnesses available) as that was the best for off piste / powder

And I demoed a 5’5″ D1+ (shorter but Stiffer)

The 5’5″ was better on piste and carving but I bought the 6′ as it was a powder board I wanted

For the rest of the season I really only rode the Dupraz, its that good.
    I Subsequently sold the S-Cruz and still have the Never Summer for playing on early season.

It does everything, pop is amazing, you can ride it switch no problem, landing switch is great, It carves harder than anything else I`ve ridden too.

Its a strange shape but it really makes a lot of sense and there is no weight shifting required to get the best out of it either.

HAve a look and read the technical details on the site:
    http://dupraz-snowboards.com/Dupraz_Snowboards/Dupraz_snowboards_US.html

Cheers
    Dom

freeridenick
    Free Member

Jones Flagship.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nah…. 🙂 but if you must, Arbor are lush! A-Frame is almost lush enough to make me turn to the dark side!

As is a Cygnus from Lib Tech.

Not much help on the budget front, though, I admit! 😉

MRanger156
    Free Member

Been looking at reviews all afternoon and leaning to the Salomon Official. The only thing that puts me off is the 3 straight edges instead of a curved sidecut.

nedrapier

Why would you want a Lib Tech Cygnus, CFH?

Why would anyone want a Lib Tech Cygnus?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mainly because it was an utterly beautiful piece of work. Stunningly well made. No idea how they ride, but the NAS series are really impressive. 🙂 Only ridden the Freeride so far, but would love to try the Pow.

nedrapier

Hmm, so as a wall hanger, then?

jamiep
    Free Member

get a rocker camber. loads of fun. i got a k2 www this last session

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, the Cygnus was certainly for the ATGNI brigade! 🙂

nedrapier

Yup! And well done Mr Olson, I hope they sold them.

But at the same time, I hope they didn’t!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I know of one which was certainly sold. Along with some GPS goggles, a Sweet helmet and all manner of other needless bling….*

*I was not the customer, OK!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What do you feel rocker camber gives you that is different from alpine?

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Burton malolo S rocker if you can get hold of last years model should come in on budget. rides a little shorter than your usual board, granted it’s more of a pow / freeride board but it does carve well on piste and is well worth a look

MRanger156
    Free Member

Not sure the Malolo is a all terrain freestyle board.

jamiep
    Free Member

What do you feel rocker camber gives you that is different from alpine?

dunno what ‘alpine’ means. i guess you are referring to a normal reverse camber all-mountain freestyle board. rockers have different sidecut radius, meaning they run shorter and so are lighter. plus the raised tips minimise changes of edge catching, making it easier to do flatland tricks.

as with bikes, you need the right tool for the job. basically, rockers are for if you like p1ssing about poping ollies off lips, etc, not high speed piste charging (they are typically soft for extra pop and so get flappy at speed).

harryparabolics
    Free Member

Have you thought about the Capita Indoor Survival or the Ride Machete. They’d probably be right up your alley…

meribelmtb
    Free Member

If you fancy trying something a litte different you could do worse than checking out Rossignol. The One Magetek or Angus would be perfect for you depending on whether you wanted something more “all mountain” (the one) or freestyle (the angus).

I rode a One Magtek all last season and loved it. Really fast, the magnatraction holds an edge amazingly, something that I really appreciated with all the hardpack around, the rocker camber combo adds more play to what is a pretty stiff board and it floats in pow brilliantly.

If you want to do more research I’ve always found Snowboard review to be really fair, even handed and useful when choosing a new stick.

Mugboo

Not a board recommendation but a general observation.

Ignoring all this ‘rocker’ talk because I’ve never ridden the newer stuff. A mate of mine took both his blindly fast Palmer Crown and his newer ‘cheap as chips £120 in the sale’ Rome park type board and tried them back to back in Whistler.
    He rode the Palmer for one day out of 10!

The cheapo, shorter, softer, true twin board was just much more fun…

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

I got a Bataleon Jam last year after having nitros, burtons all the usual mainstream boards and I can honestly say its the best all round board I have ever had. Ive done 3 full seasons so I know how to ride and it rewards bravery well but at the same time you dont have to be on top of your game all the time to ride it.

my suggestion is to go to your nearest snowdome xscape and test some from tsa. I tried a yes, K2 slayblade, bataleon and a omatic. I know its not the best terrain but you can try each for stability, carving (at least 2 turns) pop, buttering and general feel.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New Snowboard Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.