Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New SLX or old (Octalink) XT cranks?
  • missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

New frame on its way to chez MFL, current bike runs oldish (think 2003) XT cranks that while scuffed from riding have decent chainrings, little riding in the last year or two due to illness etc.

But getting a decent octalink BB is now quite difficult (was it ever easy to get a decent Octalink BB???) so I'm wondering about new chainset with the newer HT2 BB type – probably an SLX based purely on price, Merlin have them for £80, a new LX equivalent octalink BB seems to be around £25, if anywhere has them in stock.

So would people feel that new SLX is at least comparable to older XT, and would it make sense to go to the new BB standard as the bike gets built rather than wait for a BB failure in the future to force me into a change?

BigJohn

Yes

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Thanks, I think….

tomdebruin
    Free Member

Go for the SLX then build another hack based around the fact your have some spare XT cranks lying around 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

SLX is far lighter than the old XT set up, even a rival for XTR, so it's no contest IMO.

They're also stiffer, bearing life seems to vary, some people kill them in 2 weeks (probably the same folk who killed Octalink BBs in the same period) whilst others find the last forever.

RustyMac

Just fitted the SLX HT2 cranks om my bike, supplied bottom bracket is classed as SLX/XT they run so much better thatn my HT1 octalink cranks i had previously and by the looks of it future servicing should be easier. i'd say if you have the money for them the go for it.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Thanks, got the cash so ordered them up from Merlin. Going to be a busy boy when this frame appears!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

The internet says that apparently the new SLX are 100% stronger than the new XT, but weigh virtually the same!

I have both here and TBH they look vvvv similar 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I'd much rather have octalink that HT11

therealhoops
    Free Member

+1 for Octalink here
    I use an old XT steel cup rather than the LX plastic one and it lasts twice as long. Does that even make sense?
    I've been down the HT2 route…never going back, I'd rather have ISIS or square taper.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/56/fcm4108/shimano-m410-alivio-chainset-octalink.html

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I did the same, and went for new SLX. You'll need a new chain & cassette though.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

New build bike so ordered those as well.

TBH never liked octalink, always creaked from new, so looking forward to a BB/crank set up that doesn't creak!

tinsy
    Free Member

If your middle and big ring still got life left, they are interchangeable, so is the granny, but you would need to dremel off the tabs inside the bolts.. so dont bin em.

If you suffer premature bearing failure with the HT2 BB, use this guide to replace and or service the bearings in it.. New bearings are a fiver.

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=24:drivechain&id=35:shimano-hollowtech-ii-bottom-bracket-bearing-replacement&Itemid=9

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Thanks, will probably try and sell the XT via classifieds, the rings are not hooked and have still got life in them, just reluctant to put an obsolete set up onto a new frame when the BB may be troublesome to replace in the not too distant future.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New SLX or old (Octalink) XT cranks?’ is closed to new replies.