Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • new shifters time – recommendations?
  • Pook

for 27 speed…

I’m thinking xt as I’ve got an xt drivetrain, but like the look of the SRAM 9.

But which one is best? Any other recommendations?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

can’t have sram without a sram rear mech

Pook

right o.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

XT again.? Slx are good. Have a look on here maybe.

p7rich
    Free Member

SLX all the way. Installed SLX shifters approx 12 months ago, originally with a Deore cassette and more recently on an SLX cassette (Shimano chain) and they have never missed a shift.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Haven’t tried the SLX shifters but I’ve had the current design of 2-way realease XT’s for the last 3 years and they’ve been superb. BTW the rest of my drive chain is all SLX bits (except chain) and they’re superb too, so for all I know the SLX shifters may be as good as the XTs.

mrmo
    Free Member

buy the best shifters you can afford, you can cut corners on rear mechs but decent shifters do make a difference, i have used XT and SLX and Deore in recent years, go with XT or XTR if feeling rich.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

In the past I couldn’t notice much difference between Deore and SLX. But, the jump from SLX to XT is a fair bit. XT are a lot lighter in action and smoother. Worth the cash if you cam afford it, otherwise I’d get some Deore.

neninja
    Free Member

I recently treated myself to a set of XTR shifters (previously using SLX with everything else XT)

A revelation – so much smoother and more precise than any shifters I’ve used previously. Save up if you have to – there was someone selling a mint pair on here for £90 within the last day or so.

martinxyz
    Free Member

fire a deore rear mech on with xtr shifters if you can.Dont fit an xtr rear mech with deore shifters.If you can afford to go to xt rear with xtr shifting,great.If you feel rich then you wont ever regret buying xtr/xtr.

If the budget has to include the choice of front mech,i would have to go for xtr up front due to the shift/longevity of them.Once you go there,you wont want to go back down.You might find deore feeling similar in shift from new and ask “why?!” but its the length of use you will get from the high end xtr that makes the buy worth while.Its not exactly bank breaking either.

Popocatapetl

Merlin are selling XT for £66.95 a set at the moment or the shifters & front mech and rear derailluer for £139.95. 😀 But you know you want XTR really!

tony24
    Free Member

The SLX shifters are the worst part of the groupset imo the xt are far better and just feel better made all round there worth the extra.

Milkie
    Free Member

Hold out for 2nd hand XTR shifters. I couldn’t believe the improvement over XT until I tried them.

float
    Free Member

if by drivetrain you mean all the cogs/cranks are shimano, then of course you can use SRAM gears on them…

all it means is you need both sram (or shimano) mechs and shifters for them to work properly (on the rear, front gears it doesnt matter).

my vote is for sram.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

buy new XTR ones. they are worth every penny.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘new shifters time – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.