Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New Rim advice needed
  • 00soppd
    Free Member

Guys and gals, need some advice and guidance.

I ordered some custom wheels from CRC about a week ago and they phoned today to say that the rim I have spec’d, Mavic XM819, has a problem in that they may not be able to find it in the warehouse, the excuse sounded quite flakey but I let it slide as they are ringing back tomorrow to clarify.

Basically if they cannot get that rim, what shall I go for? I went for that one in the first place as it got good reviews and is UST. Now I am not entirely set on going tubeless but thought why I am in the process I may as well go for it and see what its like. What other UST rims are out there? OR should I rephrase and say what other tubeless rims are out there do not require a conversion kit.

Of course the other alternative would be to see how long I would have to wait for CRC to order the rims in. I am determined to stay with CRC as i bought the wheels when they had 10% off so as you can imagine it saved me a fair bit!

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance, Dan.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Depends what you call a conversion kit. In your shoes, I’d fit a flow rim and yellow tape. You’re then good to go.

lucien

Any of the Stans ZTR range

lucien

Onza – beat me to it

Northwind

819’s not that good a choice in the first place tbh. Stans Flow is lighter, wider and IME stronger… I’ve got both and once taped up (which is simple), they’re identical for tubeless use. My 819s are pretty battlescarred despite getting lighter use on an XC bike, my Flows are still in decent shape even though they’ve spent their life first on the big trail bike and now on the dh bike.

(I don’t expect them to last forever on the dh bike mind, even with a mincer like me on top but then I wouldn’t put 819s on it at all)

Course, that’s not a recommendation for a Flow- probably a Crest or Arch Ex would make more sense, they’re the 819 competitors.

00soppd
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback guys I will get back to CRC tomorrow and see what happens! Patience is losing out to excitement now, all I need are the wheels to finish the build off.

mafiafish
    Free Member

xm819 = stoneage. Heavy, narrow and with proprietary nipple gubbins. Get arch ex or pacenti tl28. Flows are good too but the arch ex should be just as strong for a lot less weight.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New Rim advice needed’ is closed to new replies.