Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • New Parrot as a pet
  • project
    Free Member

A mate of mines girlfreind has just bought her boyfreind a Parrot, she has had him a few days and she rang tonight to say it sleeps alot.

Since she got it on Thursday night from a chap out of the local paper, its just slept,when she rang him he said its most probably just hibernateing for the winter,like the Blue Peter Tortoises do,and to put it in a box full of paper and leave it somewhere warm .

So do Parrots hibernate and for how long.

Oh and she said it was a green one,parrot that is.

KT1973
    Free Member

Ok I'll go first
    This is an ex parrot

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I'll pop back later for the punchline project – if that's OK.

chorlton
    Free Member

It's just pining for the fjords. 🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Norwegian Blue 😉

Jeremy
    Free Member

green polygon?

project
    Free Member

Just she said it was a green Parrot, i dont know the breed.

clareymorris

If you are joking – very funny ;-D

BUT, just in case you are NOT actually joking, I'm fairly sure parrots don't hibernate, so it may be worth getting it checked out!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My mate has 3 parrots, none of them hibernate.

Driller
    Free Member

They don't hibernate, clearly. And it's a present that will last… It's not unusual for a Parrot to live for 75 years.

Like they say… A Dog Parrot isn't just for Christmas.

I really hope this intelligent bird is going to be looked after. Far too many people buy them without a clue what they are taking on.

It's very, very far from getting a budgie.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Birds behave according to how much daylight they experience*. Therefore, they will sleep quite a bit, in winter.

It's very, very far from getting a budgie.

It's not. Budgies are little parroty type birds, and are very intelligent. The budgie I had as a kid would sleep a lot during winter months (he was a lazy little bugger mind). Daylight is their stimulus; in summer months, he would be far more active in the evening.

The parrot could be suffering from an illness, though, so maybe ask a vet experienced with parrots etc.

If it's active during daylight hours, feeding ok, is alert and otherwise ok, then I'd not worry too much.

*They seem to sense real daylight against artificial light.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it's a present that will last… It's not unusual for a Parrot to live for 75 years.

Well if the parrot is 69 years old it ain't gonna last very long – is it ? 🙄

To the OP ….. tell your mates girlfriend's boyfriend (I think I got that right) to cover Polly up with a little blanket, and to leave a small bowl of seeds next to her in case she wakes up and feels a tad peckish.

clareymorris

Please, take it to a vet. My friend has two parrots and they will be shouting to come out even when covered up if they hear activity in the house, all year round (which they get told off for)!!

RustySpanner

Edited on grounds of taste.

project
    Free Member

Rang her today and the Parrot,shes called it Jeremy, is still fast asleep, but have passed on your comments ,as shes going away for easter, she said she was going to leave it some food in different bowls for each day,just incase it wakes up.

The chap she bought it off said it was an African sleeping parrot, and not to worry.

Was also wondering if it was lonely, so do same sex parrots fight,and how do you tell the sex of them.

RustySpanner

If it looks like this:

or this:

It's just moulting, should be up on its feet in no time.
    They tend to whiff a bit during this time of the year, nowt to worry about.

Almost impossible to tell the sex of a parrot, no external differences really.
    Try showing it the recent 'Friday Kylie' post:
    I nearly fell off my perch when I saw that one, so might just give your friend a clue.

Mantastic
    Free Member

African sleeping parrot-WTF???? If there is a punchline in here somewhere It may be lost on me. If not to the vets immediatley, if not your friends should consider their responsibilities as pet owners.

NorthShaun
    Free Member

It will need stimulation, as parrots are very intelligent. It could be pining for its old owner, parrots become very 'attached'. The missus did an animal management course a few years ago and learnt that 'due to their longevity, it's not unusual for parrots to go through several owners!'

project
    Free Member

She has now texted to say shes put a Sindy doll in the box with Jeremy, so he/she has company,North Shaun, she doesnt know who the owners where originally, as she got the parrot off a chap in the local paper, and he said he got it from a house clearance.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Did it come pre nailed to the perch?

NorthShaun
    Free Member

Oh dear! Sounds like it could be pining for a deceased owner!– house clearance!–

carlosg
    Free Member

We've got a small parrot(blue headed conure) that should live to be around 35-40 , my wife's parents bought it for her 18th.He's coming up to 22 now and noticeably sleeeps a lot more than when he was younger.

I'd guess your friends parrot is a bit scared of his new surroundings and probably just needs some space to settle in , make sure they talk to him in a very gentle voice and make sure there's plenty of fresh water/food/treats and toys to keep him occupied.

project
    Free Member

Just got another text tonight and she said she thought Jeremy had moved, and opened his eyes, he hasnt touched his food as yet, or the sindy doll.

He feels quite cold she said but happy, with a little smile on his face.

May have to take him to the Vet tomorrow night,as shes going away for Easter,and she doesnt wasnt to take him on the plane incase he wakes up,and flys around the plane.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He feels quite cold she said…

I told you to tell your mates girlfriend's boyfriend to tuck him up in a little blanket …….of course the poor little bugger is going to get cold 🙄

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

So to precé the situation, you have got a narcoleptic parrot in a cage with a sindy doll? You've been told "it sleeps a lot" by the person selling it – which could have been taken directly from one of the finest comedy sketches of all time, (hence Norwegian blue/nailed to perch jokes) and you/she still haven't consulted a vet?

You can keep putting food out for a (nearly) dead parrot, it's still not going to eat, no matter what kinky plastic sex toys you pop in its cage!

Do you really think parrot ownership is for you? How about trying a slug, and working up via say a cockroach, to a budgie, one day in the really really distant future?

Get some proper, qualified advice, immediately – your pet may be dying, and having 8 inches of suspensiuon travel or having once owned a burglar with bombers really isnt a viable basis for giving advice!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am a little concerned it is named Jeremy

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I am a little concerned it is named Jeremy

Yep, it would appear to be a wholly inept name………….presumably his dormouse-like characteristics means that he doesn't rabbit on endlessly like a parrot, and is actually rather quiet.

brakes
    Free Member

does it look like this?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

inept or inapt Ernie?

Ambrose

My local petshop has had a delivery of budgies. They are going 'cheap'.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

My mother's brother's lovers plumber had a parrot in the 80s,never slept,only ate cheese (cheddar) and whistled along to Living In a Box by Living In A Box.Ahhh them were the days..

grahamt1980

'ELLO POLLY
    Bash, bash, bash.
    This parrot is no more, it is an ex parrot

KT1973
    Free Member

African sleeping parrot LOL
    I love this thread, you couldn't make it up
    You'll have to take it to the pet shop and start thumping it off the counter.
    Or maybe its just resting!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

inept or inapt Ernie?

Have a go working it out TJ.

Let me know how you get on 😉

project
    Free Member

Wel its not my parrot, but a freind bough it, and shes a bit dippsy, from a bloke out of the paper,it came with a cage,when she went back to collect it she thought it may have ben a different parrot.

So then it just sleeps, she said, and she put it in a box with some paper and some food, then put it in the box with a few sausers of food for each day she will be away over easter.One saucer per day.

So today went round and there was the parrot Jeremy,still in it box, with a doll for company, so took it round to the local vet, he asked about the parrot, and i told him the story avout how she had paid £300 quid for it.

He then said im sorry to tell you its DEAD, and also its been stuffed.

So next week i have to tell Mercedes, that her parrot is not only dead,but has been stuffed.

mtbfix

I have followed this thread throughout and now feel utterly confused. Should I feel pity for some poor parrot who died and the lady who bought it. Or should I be laughing at the madness of it all?

brakes
    Free Member

So next week i have to tell Mercedes, that her parrot is not only dead,but has been stuffed.

I've read this punchline, but don't get it. Can someone explain the joke?

Talkemada
    Free Member

I think it may well be an elaborate riddle, and I'm quite sad that I may simply be too stupid to work it out. 🙁

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Is it a palindrome?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I've read this punchline, but don't get it. Can someone explain the joke?

The joke is, that the parrot was dead – not asleep.

This confusion, between being asleep, and being dead, is amusing and humorous. Apparently.

HTH

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘New Parrot as a pet’ is closed to new replies.