Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • New Orange persuit- any good?
  • rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

New to the forum so hello everybody, my question is regarding the new orange persuite, I’ve been recommended this by my biking friends, who say it’san exceptional allrounder and one that i’m interested in finding more about. I’ve chosen the orange brand as they have a very good reputation and exceptional aftersales policy. At the moment i’m riding a dawes galaxy but now feel ready to bite the bullet and “update” my bike, i also feel my riding has improved over the two years i’ve been cycling and maybe worthwile buying a f/s “full suspension” so could anybody please share with me there experiences of the new orange persuite? what size frame should i be looking for? I’m 5ft 9″
    Thanks all.

Bazz

Can’t offer you any advice on that specific bike as i’m not familiar with it but, do look at other brands don’t be blinded by just one.

Orange bikes have plenty of fans so must be doing somethings right but for me they are a bit overpriced/under specced. Other big brands such as Specialized also have a fantastic warranty, probably better than oranges.

timc
    Free Member

Aye Bazz, but its about how they ride init…

Bucko

Do you mean the Orange Patriot? I’ve never heard of the Persuit, or even a Pursuit.

ton

rupert…………are you taking prescribed medication?
    are you dillusional?
    exceptional aftersale and orange? my ar5e…….. 😀

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

😳 your right bucko, The patriot it is! It will be my first full suspension bike so was wanting any reviews on this bike as i’ve heard it’s a good allrounder?
    Take it you’ve had a bad experience with them ton? 🙄
    All i hear is positive feedback about them.
    Thanks bazz, but i would rather stick to a british brand for warrenty issues.

DT78
    Free Member

My advice – save a lot of your cash, buy a decent well spec’d trail hardtail – take a look at the genesis brand. The patriot is way too much bike for the majority of UK riding. Spend the change, which will be a few thousand on biking weekends, and maybe some skills days

When you think the bike is holding you back, buy a second hand patriot. Mate just picked up a 66 frame for around $300

thepodge
    Free Member

you clearly have more money than sense so yes the persuit is an idea bike.

rOcKeTdOg

going from a Dawes galaxy, which i believe is a 700c touring bike to a Patriot? they are poles apart and if you’ve only had experience of riding the galaxy i think you’re going to be shocked at how different the ride is, the patriot is basically a mini downhill bike and as such is built quite heavy to survive a battering, maybe look at something more XC and lighter to transition from your current ride?

best thing to do though is get a proper test ride, as no matter what the opinions are on here it all comes down to how much you like the bike when you are actually using it

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

To the podge- I came on here for advise and certainly not to be abused! I find your remark very rude and would prefer for you to not reply if that’s the best you can come up with!
    As i say i’m new to mountain biking and really starting to enjoy myself.
    Thanks rocket dog and dt78, i will perhaps look into something a bit different although i can’t understand why it’s not advisable to go for a full suspension!? Something i had my heart set on.
    Is there any different hardtails then that orange do that would be worth considering?

Brycey
    Free Member

Rupert, (or as I prefer to call you “someone else’s second log-in for trolling”), there is nothing wrong with getting a full-suss but a Patriot will be overkill for your needs, after the Dawes If you’re keen on getting an Orange, look at an ST4 or Five, but get along to a bike shop that sells them and have a test ride. There’s a list of dealers on the Orange website.

DT78
    Free Member

Hope your not trolling, though reading does seem it. Main Reason I would steer you away from full sus as your first proper mountain bike is, cost both to buy and service (check out shock service charges).

I have both and use them depending on what I feel like. I also log my rides using a garmin800 so know that on a track like cwmcarn xc I am within 2 mins total time irrespective of whether I ride a xc hardtail, xc sus, 6″ sus, or a lt ht.

I would pick a bike based on what you will be riding 90% of the time. If you live in the alps the patriot is a great idea. If you ride canal paths and fireroads on your galaxy dawes then the patriot will ride worse than your tourer.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

ditto above re troll, but here goes anyway
    it depends what you mean by allrounder. Patriot is only an allrounder in a small category ie Downhill/freeride. it’s a complete pig bike for anything other than just messing in the local woods, doing uplift days. Alpine might be better if you actually want to go for a bike ride and do some DH/throwing yourself off stuff. If you’re doing mostly big rides in the hills, trail centres etc the Orange 5 or P7 would be my choice.

thepodge
    Free Member

brycey +1 on the troll

rupes, you can sign up and post on here but not pop along to the orange website an a, get the name right and b, read their description of the bike and riding its suited to.

added to this you are willing to spend £3+ grand on your first proper bike, you can see where I’m coming from.

Matt24k
    Free Member

+1 for the troll. This has got to be a wind up.

hsmith
    Free Member

podge +1

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Absolutly NO troll!!I really can’t believe this response, i’m being called a troll for not knowing enough about bikes! I clearly stated i’m a begginer of “proper mountain biking” and wanting to get into it more so i thought i’d ask for advise as it is supposed to be a mountain bike forum and all i get is abuse!
    smell_it-thanks for the kind words! i must be a bellend for not knowing and asking for advise?
    All Lovers of two wheels eh!? 🙁
    And no podge i did’nt know that a patriot was £3k and i certainly can’t afford one!
    Yes i should have maybe gone on there website but i was just wanting peoples views on it, now i know it’s the wrong type of bike for me i won’t be buying one, plus i only have a £500 limit.
    I feel very dissapointed towards peoples attitudes on here tbh. 😐

flow
    Free Member

Plus I only have a £500 limit

Buy this, its about as good as you will get for that kind of money

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p2287

or one of these if you can stretch to £650

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_comp.html

Coyote
    Free Member

Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt…

£500 will not get you a decent full-suss. At that pricepoint even 2nd hand will probably get you a bike that will need some tlc.

Best bet is an entry-level Specialized or Giant. Something with a half decent frame that you can upgrade as you grow into the sport. You will know when you have out-grown it and will be able to approach your next purchase with a greater breadth of experience and understanding of your level of riding and an idea of the bike that will suit.

Hope this helps.

Riksbar

If you’re in Hebden Bridge pop into Blazing Saddles by the bridge, they’ll give you some good advice. If you could stretch to £600 and fancy an Orange I’ve got one of these for sale about 10 miles from you in your size, unused.

Good luck and enjoy the ride. 🙂

stumpy01

For £500, I’d be looking at an end of season Specialized Rockhopper or something like a Carrera Fury.

If you aren’t trolling, then just ignore the negative posts…your thread did read like a troll though and they POP up quite regularly on here…

flow
    Free Member

Riksbar – what size mate?

Riksbar

17 inch

chrisb57
    Free Member

Mate I sold my 2008 trek top fuel 7 recently on here for £500 .and bought an orange St4 pro ex demo , fantastic bike . I know that’s not much help , however ignore the negative post I got the same when I asked advice on St4 or orange five I demoed both and went against the grain and got the st4lesser bike I don’t think so .Anyway , back to your first MTB Quandry a P7 for you’re first bike would be fantastic . Learn to ride get out with you’re mates ,get out when its pants weather this winter and come spring you will be flying round anything Hope this helps

mojo5pro
    Free Member

obvious troll

djglover
    Free Member

Have you considered a Raleigh Lizard? Should be within your budget…

DT78
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with a lizard. My first mountain bike!

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Thanks chris, least i’m not the only one to be labelled a troll! 😆
    Stumpy- cheers mate i will ignore them now although i did report one imparticular person for calling me a bellend! 🙄
    Do want to stick to the orange brand so i have now checked on the orange website and i think the p7 would be right up my street, although they are very expensive so i’ll be looking for a second hand one.
    Oh and checked out the patriot while i was there and yes i think it would be way too much bike for my needs! 😳
    Mojo5pro- Eh?!!!

boxelder

Make your cheque out to riksbar (see post above) – sorted.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Of course 90% of people here would recommend an Orange 5, just 85% of them are afraid to admit it.

^now that’s proper trolling.

Good look OP and make sure you get the right size!

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Or there’s an Orange G3 for sale in the For Sale section. In you budget at £400, though it’s a 19″ frame, so might be on the large size for you.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d reccomend an Orange 5.
    OP, this is totally the wrong site for (any degree of) sensible advice, for anything. You’ll usually only get opinions, not (much) advice. I reckon a large majority on here only talk a good ride!
    But It’s entertainment when there’s nowt on telly. 😉

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘New Orange persuit- any good?’ is closed to new replies.