Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • New neighbours renovating – is this inconsiderate?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

We live in a semi-detached. The attached property has just been sold and the new neighbours are now renovating.

This morning, me and mrs S were woken by a the sound of the adjoining bedroom wall being stripped followed by a
    fanfare of power tools. It was 07:35. Personally, I think 07:35 on a BH weekend is at least 2 hours into the lousy bastard zone on the social scale. It concerns me that this indicates that a civil/polite/friendly relationship with the new lot is moonshine.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking this?

angeldust
    Free Member

Leave them alone to get it done. Sooner it’s finished, the sooner they won’t be making any DIY noise at all.

Or….Move to a detached house

sandwicheater

Not unreasonable.

When we did our house up we generally popped around to the neighbours (we live in a terrace) to explain we’d be making some noise over the day. Never start before 9am and finish drilling by 5pm. Was the nice thing to do.

Now, do you go round and ask them nicely not to be cockhats without coming across as a bell end yourself? That’s a difficult one. I’d probably leave it and see if it becomes a regular thing.

Drac

It’s a long weekend they’ve just moved in and will be wanting to crack on with their new house before going back to work.

rwamartin
    Free Member

I generally consider 9am as an acceptable start time and probably no later than 8pm of an evening for noisy activities at a weekend.
    Rich.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Bank Holiday weekend surely means more likely to be DIY than less likely

scotroutes

It’s a BH weekend. They were probably thinking you’d be off enjoying yourself. I’d just be hoping that a couple of long days would see the bulk of the work done.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Take a chill pill, or move to a detached out in the wilds.
    I’ll be cranking my chainsaw around that time in the morning. 😀

RustySpanner

Just had ours done. 🙂

Builder turned up at 8am every weekday, some weekends and made unbelievably loud noises ’till about 5.
    For four months.

I lasted about three months before I started to crack.
    Still can’t be in the same room as the hoover.

Our neighbours have been on a lot of holidays.

Sorry.
    😀

jambourgie
    Free Member

Damn right it’s inconsiderate. It’s the bloody weekend. To be honest I think 7:30am is too early to be making a racket any day of the week. You wouldn’t crank up the tunes at that time. Same rules apply.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

9am cutoff 9pm IMHO for any drilling/hoovering/loud music action.

bruneep

It’s a bank holiday? Why are banks so important that they need their own holidays?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Accepted times for trades are 8 to 6 monday to friday, 8 to 1 on Saturday. Nothing to stop DIY at any time but a polite word would be acceptable IMO.

dannyh
    Free Member

The fact that they didn’t warn you or ask if it would be ok tends to suggest that they are going to press ahead no matter what and don’t give a shit what they impact on anyone else is.

A friendly word initiated by you will at least allow you to gauge them a bit more. If you make a bit of a joke of it, but let them know that 7-35am is a bit ‘enthusiastic’, and they say fine (as the vast majority of people would), then you’ve broken the ice. If they tell you to do one, then at least you know for certain they are arseholes. The fact it is a bank holiday weekend might mean that they are going all-out to get a lot done in 72 hours, so might mitigate it a bit.

Not checking with you first is out of order in my opinion.

nickc

I’d be pee’d off if they hadn’t come around just to check/let you know.

Personally, I’d go round with some beers, introduce yourself compliment them on their enthusiasm, ask if that’s going to be same again tomorrow.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Or use it as an excuse to have a killer party tonight. See how keen they are when their walls have been throbbing till 6AM.

yunki
    Free Member

Go round and offer to be of assistance.. maybe take a welcoming gift.?

If they seem like nice folk ask what their plans are and if you feel it’s necessary to negotiate with them then do so

Life is waaay too short FFS

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Are they living there? If not, have a word to find out if they’ll be starting at that time every day, if not introduce yourself & ask in passing.

stoffel
    Free Member

7.35 am on a Saturday morning is pretty inconsiderate. specially if they’ve just moved in. Did they not approach you at any stage to inform you they would be doing works? If not, they strike me as inconsiderate people; it’s just simple courtesy to think of such things.

As you’re probably going to have to live next to them for some time, I’d suggest just having a friendly word; it is entirely possible they may not have tohught that the noise would travel. Mid you, it doesnt take a genius to work out that it might be an issue.

I think the accepted time for weekday loud noise for works is 8 am. We had council contractors in next door doing works with a pneumatic drill. Started the first day at around 7.30ish. Next door to myneighbour with the constantly crying baby. You only piss off a post-natal sleep deprived woman expert n property law, suffering from cbin fever, once. 😯

M6TTF
    Free Member

Flaming turd through the letterbox, should get you off to a good start 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

I think I’ll leave it.

They’re quite obviously ignorant. I’ve heard conversation through the walls and it’s clear they are
    as thick as pig shit with a default speaking volume of 65dB.

The husband looks like he’d just punch me out rather than have a discussion.

Here we go again.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Leave it, and stop worrying about whether you have the tv or hifi on too loud…

Drac

They’re quite obviously ignorant. I’ve heard conversation through the walls and it’s clear they are
    as thick as pig shit with a default speaking volume of 65dB.

scotroutes

Does 65dB make the walls come alive?

Drac

Matt24k
    Free Member

Er 65 db is the level of normal conversation.

How loud is too loud? – Decibel level What we hear
    10 dB Normal breathing
    20 dB Rustling leaves, mosquito
    30 dB Whisper
    40 dB Stream, refrigerator humming
    50-60 dB Quiet office
    50-65 dB Normal conversation
    60-65 dB Laughter
    70 dB Vacuum cleaner, hair dryer
    75 dB Dishwasher
    78 dB Washing machine
    80 dB Garbage disposal, city traffic noise

That said, 7:35 on a Saturday is too early for noisy work unless you know your neighbours are not home.
    Have you been round to say hello yet? If not they may think that you are a bit rude, deaf or just indifferent.

konabunny
    Free Member

lol @ scotroutes

OP is being unreasonable. Half the day is lost if you wait around until 9am to start work.

yunki
    Free Member

The husband looks like he’d just punch me out rather than have a discussion.

nice.. I’m glad I don’t live next door to a nitpicking, unsociable xenophobic ballbag

jools182
    Free Member

Anything before 10 on a weekend is punishable by death

br
    Free Member

I’d be pee’d off if they hadn’t come around just to check/let you know.

How early does it need to be before it is unacceptable to knock and ask whether it is too early to start to make some noise? 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

lol @ scotroutes

OP is being unreasonable. Half the day is lost if you wait around until 9am to start work.

Bollocks.

What happened to the (apparently) lost art of not being a selfish prick?

All the neighbours had to do was knock on the door and say “we are having a big push to get our renovation done this weekend, we might be starting at about half seven, if that is OK with you”. If someone did that with me I’d be far more disposed to put up with it.

It seems that the prevailing attitude nowadays is “it’s my house, I will do whatever the hell like whenever I like and to hell with everyone else”.

Not neighbourly.

project
    Free Member

So youve just bought a new house and have 3 days off for a bank holiday, of course youre going to start work early and get stuff doing, the neighbour , you could go for a walk, ride drive etc, call round and introduce yourself and welcome them to their new house.

or just rant on a bike forum.

el_boufador

I think its maybe a little bit early, but understandable and I wouldn’t be kicking up a fuss about it. Life is too short, especially if you are going to have to live next to them!

Ear plugs?

project
    Free Member

Let us all hope they dont have an evoque parked outside when finished.

large418
    Free Member

7.35 is 2 hours after it gets light. Sounds ok to me.

Just finished chainsawing some logs just as it got dark.

Noise should be within hours of daylight, and peace and quiet when dark.

Drac

Noise should be within hours of daylight, and peace and quiet when dark.

I guess you live in the south.

theotherjonv

So, did they start yet? Is it an 8am watershed on Sundays maybe, or did you go round in the night and steal their tools?

ekul
    Free Member

When we were renovating our house we used to start about half 7 and work through til about 11pm ish. The neighbour seemed fine with this because the end result was only 2 months of a building site as opposed to 12 months. In return he lets his grandkids play in my garden and look in the pond and try out my weights whenever the garage door is open 🙄

takisawa2

They are going to be your neighbours, so I’d have a bit of restraint as you have to live next to them.
    They could turn out to be good friends, but kick off the relationship with a petty row now & you’ll never find out.
    Take them a cake & some beers round & say hello.

I’d start pricing up acoustic plasterboard just in case though. 😉

catschroedinger
    Free Member

Facebook and pointing out theres an illegal rave at the squat next door?

Hopefully should provide a modicum of entertainment

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘New neighbours renovating – is this inconsiderate?’ is closed to new replies.