Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • new Muse album
  • iDave
    Free Member

Just had a full listen – its a veritable mish-mash of styles, but absolutely great

I can even cope with Matt B's sharp intake of breath between lines…..

class

GaryLake
    Free Member

Legit copy? I thought it was out on the 14th?

iDave
    Free Member

I'm in the studio with one of their sound guys now giving it a listen

GaryLake
    Free Member

Leaked copy or it didn't happen? 😆

roper
    Free Member

I'm in the studio with one of their sound guys now giving it a listen

How many of these did they go through?

rOcKeTdOg

Save to memory stick, set pc to cd burn, book table at carboot

mrh86

There is a leaked copy on the net….

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am quite 'cited about this album. I love Muse.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I love Muse but not too sure about their current single! Mr and Mr MC just debating it and he thinks it sounds a bit like Queen which in his eyes is RUBBISH!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BBC3 NOW!

roundwheels
    Free Member

God no ! Bring back oasis before that mob

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I thought they were a comedy/novelty act! Slightly better than the Coldplay/Keane/Snow Patrol brigade.

Kuco

I always though muse would be good if they dumped the singer.

richtea
    Free Member

it's a terrible, terrible, terrible effort from muse. massively disappointed, after looking forward to it for months 😐

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Bit underwhelmed at the moment- some cracking songs but some that just don't seem to go anywhere. Could be a grower though I suppose…

nickc

Awful, even the Kasabian album is better

iDave
    Free Member

it seems to be a grower. the thing is, if you like an 'artist' the fact that they're an artist means they will be creative and do different things in different styles rather than have a style which never changes. so, unless they're oasis, things should change over the years. like dylan going electric, was just him being creative and doing what he wanted to do, rather than what fans think he should have done.

i think bellendamy had classical training so he's dabbling with that saide of things.

Resin42
    Free Member

Had a wee listen last night and I'm not overly impressed. I'm a big fan but there's no real choons on this album. One song almost becomes We Are the Champions, they're going too far down this Queen tribute route IMO.

Still looking forward to seeing em in November, maybe the album will grow on me before then.

ski
    Free Member

We Are the Champions

I got that vibe too

But do quite like it, its growing on me.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I had a listen last night and I likes it 🙂

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I liked it but album of the week is "Today is a good day" NMA

scaredypants

I can even cope with Matt B's sharp intake of breath between lines…..

yeh, I can't listen because of that – and the shouty delivery

GaryLake
    Free Member

It gets better with each listen for sure but jury is still out.

Doesn't help that I was probably just hoping for Blackholes disc 2 for an album…

Harry_the_Spider

Listening to it now. First impressions are good.

Harry_the_Spider

Second impressions are that it like the Falsh Gordon soundtrack with bits of the Dr Who theme done by Blondie. But it's still good.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

" Dr Who theme done by Blondie"

they had it on in Halfords when i popped in today – you're spot on!

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Muse are one-tune ponies imo.

househusband

It fell through the door half an hour ago; listening to it now. Forgetting that it is actually Muse I think it's a good, entertaining album – will be good for whiling away the 1hr drive to work. And, yes, comparisons with Queen are obvious!

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

[sarcasm]Isn't it time they stopped p*ssing about and took themselves a bit more seriously?[/sarcasm]

Northwind

Not that impressed myself… I love Muse, I think they're one of the best bands out there (better live, but still great on album) but this I'm not sure about, it doesn't seem to have any flow, it's just a load of random songs- like a b-sides collection or something. I do like Exogenesis mind, might be better without the trite lyrics in part 3 though. All in all, quite a disappointment for me. The Brian May-ness of some of the guitars drives me nuts too, Bellamy's far better than that tbh.

I think Househusband nailed it for me, if I ignore that it's muse it's pretty decent.

Kuco- "I always though muse would be good if they dumped the singer."

Yes, because getting rid of your songwriter and guitarist is always a good move for a 3-piece band :mrgreen:

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

OK so I missed Black Holes but have mostly enjoyed everything else they've done since Showbiz. I got two full listens of "The Resistance" at full blast, driving to the Quantocks and driving back.

Wow! Matt has really stretched himself with this. He seems to have really worked on his singing (I like his breathy style, but it's really toned down here) and composition with all that tricky orchestration. It feels far less angry, tortured and paranoid and much more thoughtful, even expansive and wistfull.

The only song I'm skipping ATM are Eurasia (shades of 1984/Queen).

Current highlights are:

Uprising – kinda fun that it's (deliberately) reminiscent of Dr Who!!!

I love I Belong to You – amazing rhythms/singing/melody, has me wowing on 1st listen

Exogenesis – woah. I want to see the film – oh there isn't one. The quiet start of Redemption had me welling up. Is Matt a fan of Rachmaninov?

I'm super impressed so far. Where are my headphones? AGAIN!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

On my 3rd play. I haven't listened to a more fascinating album since OK Computer (and I'm *still* listening to that). This album is going to take me years to understand. Thank you Muse 10/10.

fbk
    Free Member

No matter what you think of the current album, have you seen this – V funny (assuming you can spot the subtle "mistake" in the pre-recorded show 🙂 )

And is it wrong to just think "etthhethhethhethhethhe SCORCHIO" at the beginning 🙂

Tango-Man
    Free Member

The Brian May-ness of some of the guitars drives me nuts too, Bellamy's far better than that tbh.

Brian May, one of the best guitarists this country has produced?? Bellamy is better……..in what way

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The Brian May-ness of some of the guitars drives me nuts too, Bellamy's far better than that tbh.

Brian May, one of the best guitarists this country has produced?? Bellamy is better……..in what way

Maybe he means Bellamy's better than just ripping off Brian May, not necessarily that he's better than Brian May.

Northwind

"Brian May, one of the best guitarists this country has produced?? Bellamy is better……..in what way"

In every way IMO. Brian May's a great guitarist, don't get me wrong, but Bellamy can outplay him on what you could call conventional stuff, and then afterwards make a noise like daleks f***ing. I think they're pretty similiar in a lot of ways, though Bellamy's got a wider range/repertoire.

But on this album, sometimes he just seems content to do a Brian May impression. It's a shame. He used to be a bit too impressed with Tom Morello, seems like it's more of the same.

fbk
    Free Member

Oops – just realised I never actually posted the link 🙄

Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oTt8Noi5Rk

DustyLilac
    Free Member

I'm two thirds of my way through my first listen, its not leaped out and grabbed me quite like the previous albums have, but in a way I quite like that it hasn't and that its not quite what I expected. Ambitious.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

About a zillion plays later and my initial opinion is getting firmer. I think they have jumped off a musical cliff with this, into a very elegant dive! It requires a certain leap of the imagination to follow.

It should shed the legions of emos, which is a good thing IMO.

Guiding light is the track most getting on my nerves ATM. I think it's the "Power of Love" rhythm. The U2esq aspect is OK. Of all the avenues explored here, I hope power ballads is one they don't revisit.

MrGreedy

Loving that Youtube link, Matt's drumming technique is awesome. Definitely with them on the Chopin thing too 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘new Muse album’ is closed to new replies.