Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New mountain bike website
  • andrewspink
    Free Member

If you think the Netherlands is just cities like Amsteram and flat polders filled with tulips, think again. In the East of the Netherlands there are huge areas of sandy woodlands and there are some great routes for mountain biking. I have made a website about mountain biking in the area (I live there): http://www.andrewspink.nl/mtb/.

The site has photos, gps routes (local tracks and official routes), details about clubs and local shops.

If you are visiting the area any time, feel free to visit the site!

jonathan
    Free Member

Nice work.. definitely filed away for future reference 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

is it still 1999 in the Nederlands ?

baldSpot
    Free Member

eeewwww, get her!

higthepig
    Free Member

Good pointer, I'll use it next time I am up there on an away day from the Dutch Alps (Limburg), cheers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nice one – we are heading to the Netherlands with the tandem this summer for a tour so that will be useful

andrewspink
    Free Member

I don't understand this comment. What do you mean?

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

i suspect he's referring to the old school look of your website…

andrewspink
    Free Member

I wanted to get the gps files available now, maybe I'll make it prettier when I have time later…

higthepig
    Free Member

Take no notice, at least you have gone to the effort to do something, perhaps I should pull my finger out and do a similar thing for Limburg.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Take no notice, at least you have gone to the effort to do something

well, obviously I'm just sitting on my arse handing out unfounded criticsm – but looking at the page source it uses an antiquated coding style with no style sheets and also contains thousands of blank lines

higthepig
    Free Member

Those that can do, those that can't criticize, leave it as it is and go ride!

GaryLake
    Free Member

but looking at the page source it uses an antiquated coding style with no style sheets and also contains thousands of blank lines

You might want to get your own house in order before you have a pop at someone else though!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Those that can do, those that can't criticize

I can and do, all the time 🙂

You might want to get your own house in order before you have a pop at someone else though!

the difference being that that legacy code was written in 1999. If I were starting from new it would be different 🙂

aldomac
    Free Member

well, obviously I'm just sitting on my arse handing out unfounded criticsm

would seem like that. I hate people having pot shots at others thinking they are funny. Haven't you heard of the old saying that if you've not got something nice to say then don't say anything?

twang
    Free Member

Anyway back to the website, and in particular those maps – I dont see any contour lines?
    Is it truly as flat as people say? ………. 😉

higthepig
    Free Member

the difference being that that legacy code was written in 1999. If I were starting from new it would be different

yea right, as if we care.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

would seem like that. I hate people having pot shots at others thinking they are funny. Haven't you heard of the old saying that if you've not got something nice to say then don't say anything?

but I do have something to say as I'm interested in wesbite design and do it all the time, and as for being nice, I'd rather be useful, and uncritical praise isn't.

DenDennis
    Free Member

@simon

in that case maybe better to dish out sarky smart arse critiques of web design on a web design forum?

😕

higthepig
    Free Member

but I do have something to say as I'm interested in wesbite design and do it all the time, and as for being nice, I'd rather be useful, and uncritical praise isn't.

Any chance of solving third world debt and a cure for AIDS, that is once you have got off your high horse, c0ck……………………..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

in that case maybe better to dish out sarky smart arse critiques of web design on a web design forum?

are you new here ?

DenDennis
    Free Member

are you new here ?

not been on that long though i'm fully aware that as for most forums, posts are relatively anonymous so ripping the piss out of well intentioned threads is normal behaviour…
    just seemed to be a little unmerited in this case, (you dont seem to be getting that much support in this instance btw-)

roundwheels
    Free Member

Dnftt

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

, posts are relatively anonymous so ripping the piss out of well intentioned threads is normal behaviour…

but not long enough to know that I am notoriously un-anonymous ? And I didn't rip the piss, I accurately criticised the coding style and presentation

you dont seem to be getting that much support in this instance btw

that's entirely normal :o)

deluded
    Free Member

What a ****.
    Perhaps I'll be censored as not being part of the STW glitterati.

deluded
    Free Member

I accurately criticised

the coding style and presentation

Knit wit.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Perhaps I'll be censored as not being part of the STW glitterati.

or for using rude words ?

andrewspink
    Free Member

Anyway back to the website, and in particular those maps – I dont see any contour lines?
    Is it truly as flat as people say? ……….

It has to be said, it is indeed pretty flat. My house is at about 10 m above sea level and the highest point near here is on 70 m. The official routes make the best use of what limited relief there is, but it is still the case that you cannot go long up (or down) hill before you are going flat again. There are some short hills which are pretty steep (glacial moraine which has been cut through by the Rhine) and challenging. But when it comes to it most of the fun of mountainbikeing round here is twisting sandy paths in the woods, where you will see deer and other animals and few or no other people (which is not possible in other parts of the country).

andrewspink
    Free Member

perhaps I should pull my finger out and do a similar thing for Limburg.

Yes, you should do! Except for the comments about the design on this forum (I just used a simple freeware program (Sea Monkey) to make the site and I am not a professional designer) I have had quite a lot of very positive feedback, so I think there is a demand for such local sites. There is lots of information about the offcial tracks but that is all in Dutch so that is not available for tourists or other foreigners (Wageningen, where I live has a large foreign student population), and there is not much information about the local unofficial tracks.

grumm
    Free Member

I think the site is cool – lots of handy info there for anyone wanting to try biking around there.

At least it is just simple and practical, unlike certain other people's (*cough) websites that contain lots of flashy features that don't actually work properly.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘New mountain bike website’ is closed to new replies.