Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New Laptop to replace my home PC
  • Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I currently have an old Evesham home PC and I’m looking to replace it with a home laptop. I would put itunes, memory map adoby photo shop etc on there as well as work from home. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Jamie
    Free Member

Budget?

Cougar

Hard to advise when there’s not much to go on. MM and Photoshop can both be memory hungry, so you’d want a decent amount of RAM.

Depending on how ‘seriously’ you use Photoshop, a hi-res screen might be important to you along with a discrete graphics adapter to drive it properly, though that will drive the price up and your choices down.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oddjob
    Free Member

Dell

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I’m looking to spend £700/£800.

CountZero

FWIW, if you can stretch your budget then the new MacBook Air computers are getting outstanding reviews, and one tech analyst has concluded that PC manufacturers cannot compete with it, as it would actually cost them more to make it than Apple sell it for. My PowerBook is now eight years old and looks brand new, but it’s OS is no longer upgradable, so I’m going the Mac Mini route, getting the last version, taking out the optical drive, replacing it with a USB external then putting another HDD in the empty slot so I have a 1Tb internal storage computer that plugs straight into my 40″HDTV and my surround system, with a BT keyboard and Magic Trackpad. It’ll do everything I want a computer to do, I can remotely operate the desktop from my phone, and I’ve still got Adobe CS1 on the PowerBook should I want to do any graphics.
    The Air’s are stunning computers, just not where I want to go now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New Laptop to replace my home PC’ is closed to new replies.