• This topic has 27 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New hip hop?
  • backhander
    Free Member

Any recommendations?
    I really like the roots, jurassic 5, blackalicious, dilated peoples etc
    Don't really know any contemporary stuff of a similar ilk (intelligent rhyme, melodic and beat strong).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Blackstar?

goog
    Free Member

here and here HTH

IamSam
    Free Member

Almost some of the above Hudson Mohawke no rhyme not melodic but a strong STRONG beat 😯

afrothunder88

My favourite recent discovery is: Atmosphere.

I think they meet the intelligent rhyme, melodic and beat strong requirements plus have a quality album name, "If Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold".

Black Star are definately up there, not really new though, although they are doing a new album apparently.

If you're up on The Roots then I presume you've heard of Mos Def? Common (older material is better IMO) etc.

flyingmonkeycorps

Ooh, I like a bit of Hip Hop.

Have a listen to Ugly Duckling, MF Doom, and if you like Atmosphere then check out stuff like Aesop Rock, Sage Francis, Brother Ali… A lot of the stuff on Rhymesayers, basically. Also (on a completely different note) if you like really dark, experimental stuff you really don't get much better than Dälek

MrAgreeable

People Under the Stairs? Time Machine? MF Doom?

Have to admit that most new hip hop passes me by, it's more rewarding to go back and rediscover old stuff. There are plenty of artists like Black Sheep, Diamond D and Artifacts who never really got much exposure at the time but still sound great today.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

i would check out Sage Francis or Dose One's many projects

captaindanger

theophilus london

yunki
    Free Member

roots manuva- run come save me

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Not sure if it's classed as Hip Hop but Scroobius Pip and Akira the Don are pretty good.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I was going to mention Scroobius Pip, but I know roughly as much about hippity hop as my dad, so kept quiet 🙂

afrothunder88

Have a listen to Ugly Duckling, MF Doom, and if you like Atmosphere then check out stuff like Aesop Rock, Sage Francis, Brother Ali… A lot of the stuff on Rhymesayers, basically.

I keep meaning to check Brother Ali out but never get round to it. Completely forgot about MF Doom!

Might have to get Spotify on the go tonight.

backhander
    Free Member

Brother ali "uncle sam goddamn" rocks.
    Recently got ugly duckling, not really listened to it yet.
    Thanks for the tips so far

Lifer
    Free Member

Not that modern but Deltron 3030 is just awesome, and the Ninja Tune Solid Steel Series is a great mixture of jazzyfunkyhiphopdub stuff.

Soul Position too!

retro83
    Free Member

I'm really liking Josh Martinez – Midrift Music at the mo. Real chilled out hip hop, reminds me a bit of Common for some reason. Found it searching for his track 'Time Alone' from the Seasons soundtrack.

retro83
    Free Member

Also judging from the stuff you listed, you might like Cunninglyguists; Southernunderground is a good album to start with

borwens
    Free Member

have a go at DJ FORMAT, bit novelty an def worth a giggle

whippersnapper
    Free Member

another vote for MF Doom. I'll throw in Jedi Mind Tricks too.

MrNutt
    Free Member

not new but its worth seeking out "the handsome boy modeling school"

thegreatape
    Free Member

Abdominal/DJ Fase – Flowtation Device perhaps

billybob
    Free Member

Pigeon John isn't too bad & bit similar to Blackalicious, Gift of Gab etc..

Lifesavas are worth a look, as is a lot of the Quannum output

Ruckus Roboticus
    is putting out some good mixes & about in the UK at the moment

Also Duck Season, DJ Babu's mix tape album thing is nice as are the Superrappin' albums (altho some of these are a few years old now!)

DezB
    Free Member

Some good recommendations above – Doom, Atmosphere etc.
    But you have to check out Blue Sky Black Death – varied and brilliant.
    Nocando is the number 1 at the moment though – theres a great video on YouTube.
    Then there's Mike Ladd, apparently a new Infesticons release is on the horizon, but check out Nostalgialator album.
    I could go on, but Lady GaGa is on J Ross and she's nuts.

noteeth
    Free Member

Not entirely sure what I think of his music, but I was quite taken with the description of Gonjasufi as being like "Method Man aged 95".

I, er, agree with Mr Agreeable – digging for old stuff (or old stuff you'd kinda forgotten about…) is still très rewarding. Besides, much that is great in Hip-Hop has been about looking back, asmuch as forward.

And another vote for MF Doom.

tops5
    Free Member

Not new but the stuff off the (now defunct) Grand Central label has that jazzy intelligent vibe like J5.

Look for Aim, Tony D, Only Child, Rae and Christian – most tracks are instrumental but the ones with guest rappers on are corkers!

Also Funky Fresh Few, Jigmastas and Afu Ra.

Aim is still going strong on his own A.T.I.C label – Crowhead's "born with teeth" album on A.T.I.C has some killer hip hop on it.

PS Aim's "the omen" is a must for any Diamond D fans!

ahwiles
    Free Member
    backhander
    Free Member

Lovin the common! Totally forgot about that cat.

DezB
    Free Member

Gonjasufi as being like "Method Man aged 95".

Gonja Sufi is a singer though. Bleep.com have a free sampler from the album.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New hip hop?’ is closed to new replies.