Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • New DeLorean anyone?…
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Maybe it’s
    four working cars over 10 years

andyl
    Free Member

maybe they had to find one guy called Trevor to build them so it will take him 10 years.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I think if you redesigned the Delorean it would be missing the point entirely.
    Yes the car might be crap, but its an almost iconic part of movie memorabilia which I’m sure is the main reason people buy them?
    I’m sure a Kuwahara BMX isn’t the best bike on the world, but god did I want one after watching ET.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Deloreans were crap for a number of reasons however very few, if any, were down to the design.

Like the XJ220 after it there was a serious compromise between design spec and economics and the end result was the DMC 12. Sad thing is, had it been allowed to carry on just a little longer they were shoving decently specced bi-turbo engines into them that would probably have redeemed them somewhat.

It’s a timeless design IMO and I reckon you could put this next to any car and it would still look good.

But unless that door isn’t shut properly holy **** panel gaps Batman!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

What was wrong with TVRs back in the ’80s?

Apart from the steering wheel being fitted upside down, at least the badge was the right way up

And the wood finish wasn’t the best

and the interior trim didn’t always stay in place

and if the trim panels fell off, you knew who fitted them

oh, and they leak

and finally I don’t have a picture but the rear suspension was so loose the drivers side rear wheel could rub against the back AND the front of the wheel arch while driving with just the tale tale puff of smoke and smell of burnt tyre to let you know.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not for me, things that are ‘good’ about them 1) the doors, 2) the films.

Forget the “Lotus Chassis” it’s a frame based on a design they bought from Lotus but there’s more to great chassis than the frame – bear in mind the Lotus was mid-engined, the DMC is rear-engined, that alone is enough to waste all the “Lotus Magic” let alone all the other differences.

The original engine is a Renault V6 which is pretty low-powered, the US DMC been selling the turbo charged version for a while which they say was meant to be a production version before the whole thing came crashing down, I’d guess that’s the engine they’ll use in the new ones.

The US Deloren company has been about for years, pretty much since the original factory closed, they bought all the stock of the failed company, they reckon there were 2 complete cars in spares for every one ever sold complete and they’ve been selling complete kits for years for $40k or so, now the US has got thier own version of the SVA they’re selling them for $100k.

redthunder
    Free Member

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What’s that, the Austin DeLorian?

timba
    Free Member

I wonder if this will be funded by the UK Tory government as it all was BITD?

I think that it all started under James Callaghan and Labour in 1978. I don’t suppose that the Tory government had much of a choice a year in to the project, and it didn’t help that the audits had issues

Harry_the_Spider

What’s that, the Austin DeLorian?

That was the original concept for the Allegro, but the need to raid the parts bin for certain components made it look like this.

Also available in brown.

James May’s programme from last week on the subject

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘New DeLorean anyone?…’ is closed to new replies.