Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • New 29"er wanted
  • PePPeR

At the moment I’m riding an original Gary Fisher Rig, (which I love) and a Dialled Bikes Prince Albert (which I don’t like).

What I’d like is to buy one 29er which I could run singlespeed if I want but the majority of the time it would run gears.

I’m a big bloke so would rather have a bigger seatpost than 27.2 if possible.

I’ll take most of the kit over from the bikes I have at the moment so it’ll be 100mm front suspension.

Any suggestions or if anyone could link to any relevant threads I’d really appreciate the help

Regards

PePPeR.

PePPeR

Anyone got any ideas please?

Andy

Singular Swift. Niner SIR9 (both eccentric bottom bracket). On One Inbred slot drop out are the obvious that spring to mind.

Also Lynskey ridgeline and Singular Pegasus if want more exotic.

There is a SIR9 in the classifieds at the moment and I am about to list a slot drop out Scandal as well.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Budget? Swift and sir 9 are both 27.2.

yossarian
    Free Member

Singular swift for the flexibility. Perhaps not the best at 100mm conventional and 27.2 seatpost.

I think voodoo do a slidey dropout 29er as do on one

That’s where I’d start.

Personally I’m starting to save for one of them red, white and blue richeys. Might just be vanity tho.

Andy

Oops didn’t spot the non 27.2 bit 😳

Bimbler
    Free Member

Maybe wait until the new on one carbon 29ers are available?

tazzymtb

tomac flint is fantastic or the new salsa elmariachi with the black cat copy swingy chain tensioner jobbo thingymebob

like this

clubber
    Free Member

Swift for me, no question. Mine’s at 100mm travel and it’s spot on.. I’ve bent a lot of posts too and no problems with the right (eg strong!) post.

bullheart
    Free Member

Not too sure. My Peace 29er runs a 26.8 seatpost, and I’ve snapped two of them! \let me know if you’re splitting your PA though…

clubber
    Free Member

I didn’t ever bend my 26.8 raceface XY post. Bullheart, drop me an email if you want it for postage (and assuming that I can find it!)

bullheart
    Free Member

Clubber – You are the man! YGM shortly! Had to ride for two hours at Swinley after breaking the last one in the car park – ended up with legs like Bella Emberg!

bigsi
    Free Member

I’m with clubber. Swift with a Thomson post & 100mm Mintues and it was spot on.

I’m 20 odd stone and ran this combo without any probs when i had my swift. It’s the oval internal profile of the post that gives it its strength.

bullheart
    Free Member

Seriously – Si’s a whopper! 😀

gee
    Free Member

El Mariachi – as above. Lovely frames 🙂

ton

i bent a thomson………..got a spanking new one as a replacement tho.

and as a owner of 8 or so 29ers in various guises………..the swift is the best i ever had.

bigsi
    Free Member

bullheart – Member
    Seriously – Si’s a whopper!

😆

PePPeR

Thanks for everyones replies, I’ll be talking to Sam for a start off

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hi Rich, do you still get down to London town? If you want to try one of the original geared Scandals, & sacrifice the all but bodge it SS option, then you can borrow mine for a while. I’m scaling down my bikes due to an imminent house extension, so I def won’t need it until the winter at least(I run it with CX disk wheels as a winter bike) If you break it then no worries as its a cheapo frame & if the geo suits then you know what sort of frame your after…

It would be nice to see you for a coffee anyway.

Cheers.

PePPeR

Thanks Martin, for the kind offer. I didn’t know you had a Scandal! I’ll give you a ring early next week and see if I can get down to see you.

With reference to the seat posts, I already use a Thomson in my Rig, it isn’t generally the seat posts that are the issue but the frame itself which ends up a little fragile. My Surly seat tube collapsed and I’m getting worried my Rig is going to go the same way.

The Rig itself is brilliant, the best bike I have ever owned. I’m hopIng the Scandal is similar.

Andy

In which case probably not a good idea to get a frame with a shim, like the Lynskeys do. The scandal and swift both dont have a shim.

mudplugga
    Free Member

I impulse bought a Fisher Marlin SS in january after smacking up an xtr mech in the gloop.Only ridden my five once since then and did’nt think it was worth £2000 more!OK so the forks are crap but they were easily replaced with some £170 RS Recons. Highly Recommend!!!!

john_l
    Free Member

Only the 2011 Lynskeys have a 27.2 seat tube – I’ve got a 2010 Proline SL which is 30.9.

Fantastic bike, really stiff – saddle choice was really important! Currently set-up 1×9 with an 80mm suspension fork & fat front tyre (corrected for 100mm) – 23.75lbs with pedals on Park scales. Sliding Paragon dropouts are really sturdy & pretty.

Real blast in the twisty stuff.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hi Rich, no problem, it will be nice to catch up, but let me know in advance so I can bring the frame to work with me, I’m on the same number or call the office & tell them I said it was OK to give you my mobile.
    If you don’t get down any more then I’ll post it to you if you want to try it.

Cheers
    Martin.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I did see Ton was selling his 29er full-suss at a bargain price. Over in the classifieds yesterday.

PePPeR

Ok Ok, been looking around at frames this past couple of hours and have narrowed it down to;

Singular Swift

Niner EMD

Chumba HX2

All are similarly priced!

The Singular looks lovely and traditional!

The Niner looks great don’t know much about it and doesn’t look like it’ll singlespeed easily??

The Chumba HX2 has one of these ancy fancy 1.5 to 1 1/8 headtubes but Si has made a generous offer of help.

Choices choices choices!

Martin the other half has told me I can’t borrow yours as I’m always breaking things. She says it’s better if I buy my own 🙂

Will still come down for coffee soon though!

nsaints
    Free Member

Niner EMD is lovely – sold my Cotic Soul for it – I’m very pleased with it, no regrets
    would only single speed with a tensioner or some other after market device to adjust chain tension

Today I’ve bought a swift frame for my single speed project

awesom-o
    Free Member

If you want something built sturdy with a 31.6 post the Chumba HX2 is a good option. I have the now ‘classic’ frame with the standard 1 1/8 headtube. I’m 6’4, 17st and I feel very comfortable/confident on this frame…built like a tank but not too heavy. Also has EBB for single speed options…also note that the size ‘Large’ has a 21″ seat tube which is more of an XL size in other brands.

rOcKeTdOg

the EBB on my Swift has been trouble free, fit and forget since i got it nearly two years ago, the ride is great, can’t speak for the others on your list though

tang
    Free Member

Swift!

PePPeR

There are good and bad bits for all these frames, I like the classic lines of the Singular, but nearly everyone has them! (can’t be a bad thing per se) The Chumba looks good would only need a medium and I like the low slung downtube! The Niner is the only frame I’ve held and I was left thinking it looked very like a standard run of the mill 7005 frame with nothing special to make it stand out.

I’m used to EBB’s The one on my Rig has been trouble free and I really do want to be able to swap between singlespeed and geared quickly and simply.

So Niner is out for now which is a shame!

Swift or HX2 Hmm.

yossarian
    Free Member

Nearly every one has a swift??

I reckon there’s around 400 of them in the uk? Perhaps Sam can give us the numbers?

PePPeR

Nearly every one has a swift??

Well OK, but when you see the singlespeed Euros and nearly every bike is either an On One or a Swift then sometimes it is nice to be a little different.

It’s like the Canikon question, I use Olympus instead! 😉

PePPeR

Oh and I also meant to say about the “BIG” guys who ride these bikes, I don’t see you guys keeping them for a long time, Ton seems to change bikes quite often and Bigsi didn’t keep his bike for long either!

My Gary Fisher Rig is a 2005 model and most of them cracked long ago, this one is still in one piece and I love it but I know the time has come for me to change before it goes the way of my old Surly and Giant Box One and the Seat tube gives way!

mboy
    Free Member

Seat Tubes giving way is usually due to being on too small a sized frame, or at least one with too short a seat tube for its TT length anyway… The Rig is a classic example, with a TT that long most other frames would have a 19″ seat tube instead of the 17.5 fitted to yours (and the same on the one I had).

Really rated the ride of my Inbred 29er (as you know), and I reckon a 19.5″ version would suit you down to the ground. It’s probably 5mm longer in the TT than your Rig, but crucially you’ll have an extra 2″ of seatpost in the frame, and that makes a big difference! Even to small(er) guys like me, who has bent seat posts and cracked a seat tube in the past! But then there’s probably none in stock at the mo… And they’re not light (not that that matters)

I really like the look of the Chumba HX2 too… If the price is right (cos RRP seems a bit steep iirc) then perhaps give one a try.

PePPeR

Mboy are you trying to let me know that I run my Rig as too small a frame 😉

The Inbred would probably do me lovely and save a penny or two as well, they’ve just not got none in stock! 🙁

bagpuss
    Free Member

Relatively big bloke here, 6’4″ and 15stone ish. I’ve had a swift since Oct last year now with 100mm Rebas and the ubiquitous Thomson post. No problems whatsoever with it.

Makes me smile every time I ride it and that’s a lot more than any other bike I’ve got.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I really like the look of the Chumba HX2 too… If the price is right (cos RRP seems a bit steep iirc) then perhaps give one a try.

£399, not bad I thought. When people see the new hx2 frames in the flesh they are usually very impressed with the quality 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Maybe everyone has a swift for a reason

PePPeR

Maybe everyone has a swift for a reason

I did say that it wasn’t a bad thing. But Sam hasn’t got back to me yet with whether he has any left!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘New 29"er wanted’ is closed to new replies.