Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Neil Young on BBC4 now!
  • curtisthecat
    Free Member

Don't Be Denied… cool documentary

chakaping
    Free Member

cheers for that

curtisthecat
    Free Member

I have seen it before and it is really good. Perfect start for me as I am off to Canada for a couple of weeks in the morning.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Aye, very good. Realised I don't own enough Neil Young albums

cinnamon_girl

The trouble with NY's albums, and I'm obviously a fan with my forum name, they do vary hugely. In fact some of them are really crap but others aren't. His live stuff with Crazy Horse is always better.

Rich – let me know if you want any, er, copies. 🙂 I have quite a collection!

cinnamon_girl

Actually, I've just realised that I haven't listened to him for quite a long time. But I do often listen to "4 Way Street" by Crosby Stills Nash & Young, love the guitars on disc 2. 8)

smudge
    Free Member

Weld, one of the best live albums 'ever'

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Possibly my age, or possibly just a late comer to decent music I only have Deja Vu…. off to the shops in the am for After the Gold Rush… or is there a better way to spend my cash?

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

Weld, one of the best live albums 'ever'

Good stuff – but there again ARC is unlistenable, I thought it was live version of Weld or something – not sure how to describe it!

grievoustim
    Free Member

"after the gold rush" is ace

cinnamon_girl

smudge – is that an import? I only have 29 NY albums!

Southern Yeti – OK, would recommend "4 Way Street" double by CSNY. But would also suggest that NY playing with Pearl Jam on "Mirror Ball" is pretty cool.

May I make another suggestion for decent music? Van Morrison, an acquired taste I know, but his early stuff is just so amazing. Saw him in 1972 and, blimey, did he move me. 8)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I'm not even sure I was a twinkle in the ol' boys eye at that point… name the Van album and I'll add it to the list.

cinnamon_girl

Gosh, what a question! He's one of the few men to reduce me to tears! OK, here goes "It's Too Late To Stop Now" – a live double recorded in 1973. Emotion, angst, it's all there.

Or the classic "Astral Weeks", so raw, so moving. Or the "new" version that was recorded last year Live at the Hollywood Bowl.

I've followed him since 1972, he's explored, evolved in various genres. He moves me. 8)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well that's one hell of a recommendation, thank you, although I'm certain you've pointed me in his direction before (IIRC I'm not allowed to listen via Ipod?)

cinnamon_girl

Another NY recommendation – "Live Rust" with Crazy Horse too. Includes 'After the Goldrush', 'Cinnamon Girl', 'Tonight's The Night'.

cinnamon_girl

ipod? What's that?! Am reduced to listening on my chunky hifi headphones due to now having neighbours!

Check out hmv, they have quite a selection.

Do report back please!

cinnamon_girl

Music should be taken seriously. It's not distraction/background muzak. You need to completely focus on it, the words, the notes. That is the only way to fully appreciate it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I'm hoping my local record shop will be able to sort me out. When I went to source some Dylan recommendations they guy was so happy it seems unfair not to buy proper music from there.

Currently on an excursion into Americana / Bluegrass… all suggestions are appreciated.

cinnamon_girl

Yes, these independant shops should be supported. They are very knowledgeable, we do need them.

Got a gig next weekend, am so excited, have had the ticket for 6 months! Joe Bonamassa – guitarist extraordinaire. Check out http://www.jbonamassa.com for various stuff. Last saw him 18 months ago in Birmingham.

smudge
    Free Member

CG. email me youre postal address and i'll pop a copy in the post to you 8)

RichPenny
    Free Member

Cheers CG, always prefer to buy stuff though really. I've got Harvest, Harvest Moon, Landing on Water and Decade, which is a compilation. Can't believe I don't have After The Gold Rush, that and On the Beach are what a massive NY fan at work advised me to get.

The Southern Yeti, I would recommend music by these people off the top of my head, whether they're Americana, Alt-Country or just Country I'm not sure, but I love them all 🙂

Will Oldham / Bonnie Prince Billy
    Bon Iver
    Iron and Wine
    Calexico
    Wilco
    Josh Ritter
    Yo La Tengo
    Lambchop
    Bill Callahan

Kevevs
    Free Member

good stuff

curtisthecat
    Free Member

As CG stated some of Neil's later work can be a bit patchy…Neil and the Shocking Pinks anybody?
    However, I believe that his greatest period was the mid to late 70's. My fav albums are: Tonights the Night, Time Fades Away and my all time fav On the Beach. My wife bought me a copy on vinyl(quite rare) for my 30th B'day.
    When these albums were released, they were slated and considered crap. Funny how most critics now hail these albums as the golden trilogy!

boxelder

Don't overlook this gem

southern yeti – I presume you're familiar with:

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Landing on Water

Does anyone like that?

Zuma is pretty underrated I reckon if anyone's looking beyond the more obvious albums.

matthewjb
    Free Member

The Neil Young MTV Unplugged album is a good introduction to his quieter side.

Arc is a companion piece to Weld. (geddit?) But it's 25 minutes of feedback so I'd avoid.

Everyone should own:

Harvest
    After the goldrush
    Everyone knows this is nowhere

Of the later stuff I like Sleeps with angels. Just avoid Trans. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Blimey, have just counted my Van Morrison CD's – I have 45!!!

Southern Yeti – go for "Astral Weeks", the 1968 one. If you want a copy of "It's Too Late To Stop Now" (double), e-mail in profile.

smudge – that would be brilliant, thank you. Will drop you an e-mail. Was hoping to organise another Chilterns ride this year but am having to hold off for the time being.

Agree with Rich on the Wilco recommendation. 🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

my favourite van the mans

too late to stop now
    saint dominic's preview
    veedon fleece
    astral weeks
    his band and the street choir
    moondance

all awesome – he is undoubtably a grumpy ass. but when he's "on it" nobody comes close

RichPenny
    Free Member

Is trans the equivalent of the Bowie DnB album?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Some of his recent stuff has been pretty good

Silver and gold.
    Chrome Dreams II, especially the 18 min Ordinary People.

+1 for Live Rust, like a greatest hits live, starts accoustic before going electric. Saw him last year(?) at Edinburgh Playhouse, amazing. Acoustic first half then electric after a short break. Must have played best part of 3 hours.

Don't know if they are Americana but I like Lambchop a lot and Whiskeytown.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Looking forward to the programme about the Stones and Exile on main street thats on BBC on Sunday night.

RichPenny
    Free Member

If you like Lambchop Steven, then Bill Callahan – Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle would be right up your street, it's almost like a Kurt Wagner tribute album!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Cheers will check him out.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Neil Young is ace! I even considered getting hold of a copy of Trans after watching that last night :-/

Was disappointed not to see any mention of re•ac•tor. ('Got mashed potato … ain't got no t-bone')

Harvest Moon of great sentimental value.

metalheart
    Free Member

Neil Young – Everyone knows this is nowhere, Harvest, On The Beach, Tonights the Night, American Stars n Bars(!), Rust Never Sleeps, Live Rust and Eldorado… That said Decade is a great place to start

Van – Definitely Astral Weeks. Moondance and St Dominics Preview to. Also partial to The Bang Masters (TB Sheets and Who Drove the red Sports esp.)

Americana:

Bonnie Prince Billy/Will Oldham/Palace (in all the forms Brothers/Music). Also well worth seeking out is Amalgamated Sons of Rest EP (with Jason Molina & Alasdair Roberts)
    Bill Callahan/(Smog). And he is way more than a Kurt Wagner soundalike. Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle to me is his finest
    Lampchop: Is A Woman, What Another Man Spills
    Sufjan Stephens – Seven Swans, (Come on Bring the) Illinoise
    Gillian Welch (and also Dave Rawlings Machine) – more traditional, blue grassy
    Songs: Ohia – Didn't It Rain & Magnolia Electric Company/Jason Molina – Pyramid Electric Company. Jason def influenced by Neil…
    Not sure if she counts but Cat Power
    Bluegrass – there is a fantastic comp called Moneyland (by Del McCoury) which features a whole bunch of people from Merle Haggard to Emmylou.
    I'm a big fan of Doc Watson. Trouble in Mind and Sittin Here Pickin The Blues are worth a spin. Veers towards country blues (emphasis on country)

cinnamon_girl

grevioustim – some good choices there. 8) Will there be another STW blues/rock jam? Did enjoy that!

grievoustim
    Free Member

I'm not sure I have the skills to do the jam organising – but I'm up for it if someone wants to put in the effort of doing the backing track/ pulling it all together. We could do a country/ americana one

whilst we are doing recommendations the new album by Bonnie Prince Billy and the Cairo Gang is awesome – best of his since "Master and Everyone" I think

also Eilen Jewell and Richmond Fontaine are well worth investigating

higgo
    Free Member

This seems to be a god place to ask about Neil Young, Booker T & the MGs….

Some time ago (early 90s?) NY toured Europe with Booker T and the MGs as his backing band. I think the live recording was released as a sort of 'semi-official' bootleg (in Italy??). Every now and again I try to get hold of a copy but I've not been successful.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd much appreciate it.

(p.s. just had another quick search for it and it seems that NY together with the Driveby Truckers appear on Booker T's new solo album – interesting.)

RichPenny
    Free Member

new album by Bonnie Prince Billy and the Cairo Gang is awesome

Have you seen that they're touring too? Might have to catch that…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

This thread is why I love this place, sod all the chat about bikes and politics, music… I just don't have the vocabulary to explain…

Anyway, yesterday I purchased After the Gold Rush and the new Bonnie 'Prince' Billy & the Cairo Gang, sorry C_G the LRS had and a weak Van selection.

Haven't had a chance to properly listen to either, but after a hard days riding with Pearce uplift in stunning weather, the cider is tasting all the sweeter because of Bonnie 'Prince' Billy.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Neil Young on BBC4 now!’ is closed to new replies.