Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Need a cheap light quick is this ok? (link in post )
  • Rich
    Free Member

It’s cheap and bright, but not reliable and you certainly won’t get it quickly.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It’s the uk warehouse stock so should be quite quick right?

Rich
    Free Member

Ah, not sure, should be quicker. I’ve no personal experience of the UK warehouse.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m tempted just to give it a go.

Rich
    Free Member

That’s what I thought, but after waiting 4 weeks (from China) the charger fried the battery and melted itself on the first plug in. Wish I hadn’t bothered.
    Others have had more luck though.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I was gonna get a smudge one but at half the price.

It does worry me about the battery charger.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Why not buy the one from smudge?

stuartm555
    Free Member

I ordered that same item (UK stock) about 3 weeks and having checked the DX website they have decided to send it Airmail from Hong Kong. So go figure! You may have better luck.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Blimey, that’s no good.

Why not smudge? Honestly I can’t afford the extra.

steveh

I got one of those from ebay the other week £34 and it took 8 days to arrive from china. It’s cracking as a head light but probably a too spooty a beam pattern for use on it’s own.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah I’ll have a torch on my helmet too so hopefully not a problem.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’ve got that one – it’s had three outings so far, and (touch wood) no problems with battery or charger. It’s brilliant!

tomaso
    Free Member

Mine is still going strong and been using it since it started getting dark after 8pm this autumn. It does suffer from quite a harsh hot spot but it is very bright – search xml bastid on here and see whats been said before.

soobalias
    Free Member

having sourced about a dozen similar from DX over the last couple of years, Ive had one that wouldnt charge and two that have needed re-soldering after being used as dog walking torches and the wiring breaking!

all the rest are sweet, cheap as chips and more light than you can poke a stick at – longest ive waited was just around four weeks

get what you pay for innit

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So Is the smudge one a higher quality light build or is it just that the charger is better?

I know I’d rather have a uk charger/plug to be honest.

stayhigh

I have the Smudge light and have to say its been fantastic. Its well put together and very bright. Here are some beam shots:

Low beam by stayhigh65, on Flickr

Medium beam by stayhigh65, on Flickr

Full beam by stayhigh65, on Flickr

The battery seems to last for ages, I tend to get a good 7 to 10 hours on a combination of high/mid/low before I think about charging it and a full recharge takes about 4 hours. On full beam I get just over 3 hours but quite often find medium sufficient.

When I first got the light the battery was fully charged which was nice but I ran into trouble when I first used the charger. When I plugged it in there was a popping noise, the light went out and it wouldnt charge.

When I emailed Smudge about this he sent out a new charger straight away and that arrived in a couple of days time. The new charger worked without any problems and has been faultless since. Smudge was a pleasure to deal with and I’m happy to recomend this light and Smudge to anyone 🙂

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ah cheers mate, think I’ll pay the bit extra and get smudges one.

There is a 1600 lumens one with a UK plug on EBay for £37 but it worries me about these charger stories.

iridebikes
    Free Member

are there any details on these smudge lights? a website perhaps?

stayhigh

here you go fella:

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/4.html

When I mailed Smudge about the charger he told me that he had never known of one to fail like this before. I guess its the law of averages for you that for every countless how ever many a man with his experience in batteries etc goes through at one point one will fail.

In this case it was mine and he replaced it immediately, sending the replacemnt out to me before I’d even posted the faulty unit back.

His light comes with a UK plug FWIW.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I just bought one of Smudge’s.

Wanted the warranty and uk plug plus he seems like a nice guy so I’m happy to give him my pennies.

Northwind

People often comment on warranty incidentally, DX warranty isn’t long but it’s pretty good- better than some very big brands. My claim frankly wasn’t a warranty job, I dropped a torch down 3 flights of stairs, they replaced the broken parts in about a week when they’d have been totally fine to just say bugger off.

But, I had a very similiar light and didn’t like it that much- too spotlighty, even on the head. A step back from the P7 IMO, in most cases. Brighter but less useful, don’t like playing chase the dot.

smudge
    Free Member

Thanks for the mention guys & to stayhigh for the light pics 😀
    Yes all lights come with the UK type charger 8) Come unstuck abit over the last few weeks now I have attracted attention from Europe.

Can I also point out these lights are NOT compatible with DX or Magicshine as the connectors are slightly different and will not cross fit.

Campbell Coaching have put a blog together of their first night out using them as well Here

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

hi smudge, i just ordered one off your site. Does come unstuck mean your out of stock?

Im Ian by the way on the order bit.

smudge
    Free Member

Hi Mosey,
    Thanks for buying your light from me, it will be posted out to you tomorrow.

I was refering to the fact that the UK chargers are great for over here but not too good with buyers in Germany, seems like they dont have charger adapters from 3 pin UK to Euro.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

ah i see mate.

cheers i look forward to getting out with it.

Rockape
    Free Member

I bought a smudge light and so did two of my ridding mates. It’s a fantastic light or mine was some scum broke into my garage Friday night and stole my bike with light on. They didn’t take charger so I hope light fails on them and they get hurt. Sorry for the rant. Back to the light I think it’s very good value and as everyone has said smuge is very helpful and gets lights out to you fast.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Need a cheap light quick is this ok? (link in post )’ is closed to new replies.