Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • N York Moors?
  • crotchrocket
    Free Member

I’m on my way up to stay for week.
    What are trail conditions like?

Can you recommend a ride route for the southern west of the moor?

ratadog

Mixture of snow and ice at the moment with the accent on the ice. Snow earlier in the week compressed rapidly. Allegedly a thaw later tonight. I am at the other edge of the moors so rides in the SW corner are not my area. DAlby supposed to be pretty all weather and should be OK if it thaws.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Pow.

Routes?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I was up there riding yesterday and it was thawing nicely, in fact it was quite warm (taking last weeks -7C into consideration, with a balmy +7C) Trails were still covered in snow, thawing snow and very hard to get through, quite boggy, soft mulch where the thaw had taken hold which made the descents a mixture of peddling and slow speed rolls, the up hill bit were spin outs on occasion and in some parts a get off and push;athon, bit overall it was/is actually rather good and provided you’re not thinking it’s a summer trailtastic heaven, you’ll enjoy it.

I’m talking of the Harrogate. Pately Bridge area of the moors BTW.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m talking of the Harrogate. Pately Bridge area of the moors BTW
    Whaich is actually The Dales not the NYM. 😉

crotchrocket
    Free Member

@globalti > thanks for community spirited link 🙄 I have a map, I was hoping for a little STW fairy dust I could sprinkle on it and find the legendary singletrack the northern munkies constantly ride their pigs and 456s over.

mattrgee
    Free Member

I was at Dalby yesterday but the trails were still very icy. If it had just been snow it wouldn’t have been too bad, but it thawed, compacted and froze again making it pretty crap.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Where about do you mean on the moors?? Thirsk Area?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Yup. I’m in old Byland ATM.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Ah cool i live in Bagby at the bottom of the hill.

Best riding is out towards the top of Boltby/Snack yate bank, Follow hambleton road along towards high paradise farm. Stright infront is boltby woods, ride along with them on your left, at the end of the woods you can go left down some great singletrack descents or straight on towards osmotherly with some again great rocky descents,

But round there its best just to take a map and explore almost every bit of singletrack is fun

lapierrelady

Get yourself a copy of the Tony Harker guidebook North York Moors Mountain Biking[i]Moorland Trails[/i]
    Dalby Forest is technically still closed due to ice, we were in the back end of it today and it was still looking pretty icy. We did a route round Blakey topping today that was in great shape, almost all the snow has gone even high on the moors, it’s just all a bit wet.

james
    Free Member

“I’m talking of the Harrogate. Pately Bridge area of the moors BTW
    Whaich is actually The Dales not the NYM”

Pately Bridge (or valley upto scar house reservior) isn’t in the Yorkshire Dales National Park ..

crotchrocket
    Free Member

@singlespeed_shep, nice trails in boltby 🙂 me and my lad was luvvin the jumps some kind soul had built.
    The ride to the wood was in fact a soggy mess tho. I think we’ll drive there on Friday 😀

edlong
    Free Member

“I’m talking of the Harrogate. Pately Bridge area of the moors BTW
    Whaich is actually The Dales not the NYM”

Pately Bridge (or valley upto scar house reservior) isn’t in the Yorkshire Dales National Park ..

His post doesn’t say it’s in the national park, it says it’s “The Dales”. Which it is. Nidderdale to be specific.

FWIW the generally accepted view is that Nidderdale was only left out when they drew the NP boundaries because they wanted to be able to build reservoirs without the restrictions that NP status would impose on such developments. Either way, Nidderdale is most definitely part of the Yorkshire Dales, NP or not.

btw, it’s “Pateley” Bridge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘N York Moors?’ is closed to new replies.