Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • My Singular Hummingbird
  • PaperLawyer
    Free Member

Just finished building the bike up. So pleased to finally get the tubeless rear wheel working that I've completely overlooked the valve/logo alignment problems and I've even got a temporary front tyre on as well. I picked up the Alfine from a fellow STWer but not had an opportunity to try it out yet.

Special thanks to Sam@Singular who really has been great in fielding all of my daft questions.

Oh, and the moss needs sorting out but it is a shared courtyard area and so I'll blame the work shy gardener…

postierich
    Free Member

classy looking frame,needs to keep the retro look and get some rigids on the front end.

rOcKeTdOg

nice, only wierdos and freaks own singulars though you know 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Please get rid of that horrid red front tyre. Pretty please.

Singulars are lovely bikes. 🙂

sheldona
    Free Member

Great looking Bike as all Singulars are, however I think the forks don't complement that frame.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ugly as ****. Sorry, but it is.

Wheels don't match, cranks looks wrong. Tyre? Don't even ask. Seatpost doesn't look as good as the other parts.

Sorry, don't like it.

sheldona
    Free Member

What I think CFH is saying is that it hasn't enough suspension and streetcorelite-ness about it to ride up and down the road in front of his house 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Far from it! 🙂

I like the frame a lot. Looks well made and with nice angles. The build, however, is gopping!

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

I totally agree about the front tyre – it will be changed.

The seat post is too short and will be changed too – deciding what to buy.

I'm keeping the cranks for now – the cranks and the front wheel are spare bits.

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

I have considered getting the forks painted to match but I'll ride it first and see how I get on with the frame and forks.

bigsi
    Free Member

How have you made suce a nice frame into such a bad looking bike, not sure if its just the front tyre.

Sorry just my opinion.

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

Photo updated with new front tyre and Thomson seatpost to minimise the eye pain suffered by some (yes, I've not even adjusted the saddle yet). I'll get a new front wheel built up once I master this tubeless malerkey – I'm suffering a slow puncture despite fllowing youtube vids.

I'll hopefully give the bike I ride out at Cannck Chase tomorrow.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Well i think its lovely now. Think i may have found my next bike…

tails
    Free Member

woo there. I have seen far far uglier bikes on this forum. The build looks like a well thought out one, mavic, thomson, shimano is that a ritchey stem?

If your really that bothered what this lot think. spray paint the lowers when you next service the forks.

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

The build was originally quite compromised because I was trying to use parts remaining after I sold my Epic frame and Fox forks a few months ago, hence the XT cranks and MAvis 317/Hope XC front wheel. I also wanted to try out an Alfine using an EBB frame, hence the Hummingbird. However, I did get the credit card out and so the build is as follows:

Frame: Medium Hummingbird
    Forks: Magura Durin Marathon 120mm (relatively short crown to axle length and excellent price from US ebay seller)
    Front wheel: Existing Hope XC laced to Mavic 317 disc specific rim
    Tyres: Specialized The Captain Control 2.0 2bliss
    Rear Wheel: Alfine laced to Mavic 817 UST rim. 18T Nexus sprocket
    Chainset: Existing XT cranks. Surly 34T stainless steel chainring and chainbolts
    Chain: KMC Z510 singlespeed chain
    Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbon 203/160. A2Z Centrelock adapter for Alfine
    Seatpost: Thomson 410mm
    Seatpost QR: Black 30.0mm Hope QR
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR (spare from Epic build)
    Stem: Ritchey WCS 90mm stem
    Headset: Black Hope headset
    bars: Ritchey WCS carbon riser bars
    Grips: Scott Racing Open Pro grips (thought I'd try them out for £7)
    Shifter: Alfine shifter
    Pedals: SL Eggbeaters

The bars and stem were Merlin's excellent deal – £95 for the two items.

I will give the fork colour some further thought but first of all I need to get some miles under the belt 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

keep the forks white and match with grips and saddle

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

I do have a white saddle and I did have a pair of white grips when I changed to a flat bar on my fixie – they quickly became oily and grubby after a few puncture repairs when commuting on it and so I chucked them away a couple of weeks ago:

col642
    Free Member

Did you get a perfect chainline?
    Is the sprocket the dished type and did you have to "shim in" the chainring?

Nice machine anyway.

cynic-al
    Free Member

it rather horrified me that folk (CFH mostly) that are concerned or at least put a lot of thought into this thing.

Bikes are for riding rather than photographing, unless they are beautiful or intersting IMO.

Ah well at least it wasn't "creatively" pictured hanging at at an odd angle from a log pile.

bigsi
    Free Member

Its gone from gopping to georgous,,, nice work 😛

rootes1

yer forget the looks and get out and ride!

though it is nice to match stuff:

my fav hummingbird

ps I own a swift in the unfashionable orange!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘My Singular Hummingbird’ is closed to new replies.