• This topic has 79 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Rich.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • My Dyson sucks
  • Pieface

More likely it doesn’t…

Despite changing the filter bits its still fairly unsatisfactory as an upright, the wand is ok but not amazing. Its about 6 years old (DC07 Animal).

Is there any standard maintenance or anything that should have been replaced by now? The roller spins but its hardly picking anything up, anything remotely stubborn needs the wand on it.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

There is a website that shows how to dismantle them to clean out all the dust which gathers inside – I did it to mine and it improved things for a while but eventually I replaced it with a non Dyson

carlos
    Free Member

I would say the belt needs changing, they stretch a bit and go shiney on the inside and the roller shaft doesn’t engage with the same friction.

Pieface

Thanks, I’ll try cleaning it and changing the belt.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If you’ve changed/washed the filter bits and checked there is nothing blocking the pipe then it will be a knackered motor/fan. Our DC11 burnt out a motor armature a few months ago after about 4 years of heavy use.

Get on to Dyson support. I got a brand new motor and fan assembly for for about £30 delivered IIRC. Took me about 30 minutes to replace it. I effectively now have a brand new machine

sqweeeezzz
    Free Member

Have you tried new brushes, as they are turning and not picking up?

Did this to ours and returned performance.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Holyzeus
    Free Member

+1 for a Henry

Woody
    Free Member

You’ve done well to get 6 years out of it. My ex used to go through one every 18 months – bloody thing was never off!

Pieface

I’m reluctant to buy new as i’m sure its repairable and it cost a lot when new

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m reluctant to buy new as i’m sure its repairable and it cost a lot when new

Clean it and keep it as a spare. Put your money towards either a Henry (bit agricultural I think) or a Miele Dog & Cat (brilliant).

This is what I did about 4 years ago and have not touched the Diesoon since.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Has your dyson got a Hepa filter,Mine had become blocked after about 4 years.Replaced this(available on ebay) it is located under the bin ,you have to remove a plastic cover to get to it,It looks very similar to the one you wash but it is different.

Milkie
    Free Member

Those upright Dysons are a nightmare, useless!! The other type of Dysons are much better, suck better and don’t go wrong as often…

We have 8 Dysons between us here at work, 6x are uprights, the uprights have had the engineer out twice now. The ones that aren’t uprights are owned by dog owners and vacuum every other day, rather than once a week, they are the dogs bollox. 😉

slowuphill
    Free Member

you never see any professional cleaners carrying a Dyson around.. Henry all the way

molgrips
    Free Member

They are very repairable, lots of spares available and easy to work on. There are holes inside that can get blocked if you use it for too-fine dust like plaster etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Stop bloody going on about Henrys please. The guy did not ask what cheap basic vacuum cleaner he should buy.

You see plumbers mostly driving around in Transits, doesn’t mean I should get one for my main car does it?

Oh and you may find a blockage in the pipes leading to the bag..

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Dysons are shit – ours was a brittle lump of shite plastic. henry on the other hand is a cleaning legend!

molgrips
    Free Member

Dysons are shit

No they’re not.

Are there cheap fake Dysons going around or something? Wtf do you people do with your bloody hoovers? I have owned two cylinder ones since 1999 and the second was an upgrade to one with a beater. My sister still has and uses the original one.

Xylene
    Free Member

They are awful.

Ipods of the cleaning world

Holyzeus
    Free Member

GrahamS

Think we’ve had our DC-05 cylinder for over ten years now.

Burnt out the motor once (sucking up brick rubble). Easy to dismantle and replace as CaptainMainwaring said.
    Other than that just a replacement HEPA filter and a wash of the other one.

MrsToast
    Free Member

😆

I’d like a decent vacuum cleaner, but an upright, can’t be arsed with lugging around our cylinder cleaner. Which is a Dyson. And not great. But it’s the landlord’s, so we don’t complain.

Adam_85
    Free Member

Our local recycling centre is like a Dyson graveyard

nosherduke996
    Free Member

If Carlsberg did vacuum cleaners, then it would be the MIELE cat and dog. 🙄 😳

toys19
    Free Member

Another vote for henry here.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A Henry is based on a proper industrial vacuum cleaner design.
    A Dyson is a lifestyle product.

A Henry can survive a fall down a set of bare concrete steps.
    A Dyson will not survive a fall down a shorter set of carpeted stairs.

A Henry doesn’t go wrong.
    A Dyson will cost you eighty pounds (not including P+P) for a replacement piece of moulded plastic. Eighty pounds.

A Henry will survive years of being kicked around a large shop floor, in the back of a builders vayn, in a carpentry workshop.
    A Dyson will not survive one year of being used in an average sized family home.

Dysons look ‘cool’, and do actually work well due to clever (British) design. Sadly, they simple aren’t very robust or tough.

rootes1

get a Miele – best vacuums

or Henry’s are pretty bomb proof if on a budget and they have that nice smiley face – you can get the numatic industrial version if you don’t like the face…

having said that my only experience of Dyson was my dads Dyson Ball Barrow…back in the day – James Dyson has got a real thing for balls

GTDave
    Free Member

Our Dyson replaced a Henry. They both have their merits.
    IMO the Henry is better for wooden / stone / carpet tile flooring, whereas the Dyson is much much better at normal carpet, due to the brushbar.

FWIW our Dyson hasn’t missed a beat for the last 7 years despite being used daily (in an average sized family home with a dog and 2 messy kids), whereas the Henry is on it’s second motor.

The old Henry lives out in the garage and is used for cleaning out the car / guinea pig cage / brick dust etc.

Renewing the filters on the Dyson every couple of years keeps it running well.

So long as it keeps the house clean, I couldn’t give a toss what make it was, i’m no vacuum snob! 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You see plumbers mostly driving around in Transits, doesn’t mean I should get one for my main car does it?

Of course it does………if the purpose of your vehicle is to carry plant materials and fittings around.

Want to suck up dirt and rubbish from the floor ? ……..then get a Henry.

Dysons imo, are let down by the fact that they don’t have a handy easy-to-dispose-of bag which collects all the dust and rubbish. I can’t for the life of me figure out how they managed to miss that one.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE,MIELE.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dysons imo, are let down by the fact that they don’t have a handy easy-to-dispose-of bag

It’s a good thing. It means you don’t have to buy new bags. You can just empty the drum into a bin.

We bought a Dyson because it had a decent turbine head. The Miele one was rubbish. Henrys don’t have a turbine head. Which is why they won’t get stuff up from the floor as well. And they have a frigging stupid face on them. What am I, five years old? Get a grip!

elaineanne
    Free Member

crickey me and vacs…..i used to go through 5 vacs a year (belts used to snap just for the hell of it, me n vacs are not compatible at all… i dont use the wretched things anymore ! wooden floors much better ! lol….can i take my wooden floors with me if i move to a new house ? 😉 :mrgreen:

molgrips
    Free Member

A Henry is based on a proper industrial vacuum cleaner design.

As are Dysons.

A Dyson will not survive one year of being used in an average sized family home.

Incorrect.

A Henry will survive years of being kicked around a large shop floor, in the back of a builders vayn, in a carpentry workshop

Given that I don’t need a vacuum to do any of those things, why would I forgo my nice turbine head?

toys19
    Free Member

My henry has a turbine head. Google it. Works great

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Get rid, buy a Meile

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Given that I don’t need a vacuum to do any of those things, why would I forgo my nice turbine head?

Check diss:

A Henry doesn’t go wrong.
    A Dyson will cost you eighty pounds (not including P+P) for a replacement piece of moulded plastic. Eighty pounds.

Eighty Pounds. For a piece of moulded plastic. That undoubtedly cost pennies to actually manufacture. And that wasn’t including P+P….

Eighty Pounds.

I can buy a whole new Henry for that.

robdob
    Free Member

I did some work with a friend who had a high end carpet cleaning business. He had vacuum cleaners I had never heard of but he recommended them. Some sort of professional brand, looked lame but worked brilliantly. He said he wouldn’t touch one which didn’t have separately operated brush bar and suction motors. I think he had a Karcher professional one for home use but that might just have been the colour of it, it was a while ago. I asked him the price and it was still cheaper than a Dyson at the time.
    We have a £80 Hoover bagless one which works brilliantly for our needs with a £12 extended replacement guarantee so they give us a new machine no quibble if anything breaks.

What’s wrong with VAX? Used a bagless upright and one of those orange wet & dry things. No issues at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

Eighty Pounds. For a piece of moulded plastic.

What bit?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘My Dyson sucks’ is closed to new replies.