Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • MX Bikes in Swinley again.
  • fingerbike
    Free Member

Well that was a good mood ruined, out for a nice sunny pootle around Swinley this afternoon, and get chased down labyrynth by 4 blokes on what sounded like 4 stroke mini bikes, thanks for that you inconsiderate pr***s, guess theres not much can be done when they don’t have number plates.

Ewan
    Free Member

If you have the number of the ranger give them a ring – they’ll be interested.

If they’re on MoD land then note the numbers here for next time.
    http://trailactiongroup.co.uk/code-of-conduct/

The army are fairly proactive at catching the crossers (and they have sufficent powers to just take the bike away) – they caught one last week over minley way – suffice to say the bike won’t be seeing the light of day again.

GW
    Free Member

so now you’ve suddenly got the courage to say something on the internet where they’ll never read it? 🙄 if this is a dedicated ntb trail and it happens again why don’t you stop them and say something (less insulting) to their faces?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Thats a bit unfair GW. There are times when people should stand up and say something, but Im sure they know they’re not meant to be there already.

And whether the OP said something or not isnt going to make much difference.

GW
    Free Member

don’t talk shite.

the only thing that will make no difference is saying nothing

cinnamon_girl

Unfortunately since mx’ers were banned from their old stomping ground near the Old Dean, more are using the Forest and singletrack.

Years ago when I was dog walking, two mx’ers deliberately rode towards me when I gesticulated at them.

Yes, they know they are not meant to be there and what ever you say will not make a blind bit of difference.

Definitely worth a call to the Crown Estate Ranger.

thepodge
    Free Member

just to play devils advocate for a second. the other week we were out ank kept bumping into the same two motorbikes. only once were they on a legal trail but every time they were polite & considerate and were on trails that could easily sustain them. they also had full legal number plates not cut down hard to read ones.

there are good people out there riding motorbikes

GW
    Free Member

Years ago when I was dog walking, two mx’ers deliberately rode towards me when I gesticulated at them

I assume you were dog walking on a shared path rather than a dedicated mtb trail? from the OPs description I’m also assuming “labyrinth” is a dedicated mtb trail? and if he was “chased down” it, it’s probably single track. seems to me all Fingerbike had to do was stop to calmly reason with them and point out any danger and damage (if any) they were causing.

tomsk01
    Free Member

seems to me all Fingerbike had to do was stop to calmly reason with them

Yes, cos everyone is reasonable and rational 🙄 whenever I encountered motorbikers around Swinley they were rude and aggressive when told they were not supposed to be there, not tarring all motorbikers with the same brush, but taking the view that you can just talk them round to your point is a little naive

Ewan
    Free Member

so now you’ve suddenly got the courage to say something on the internet where they’ll never read it? if this is a dedicated ntb trail and it happens again why don’t you stop them and say something (less insulting) to their faces?

Just to state the blitheringly obvious, the OP was probably worried he’d get punched in the face and have his bike nicked. Some of the local chavs who rag bikes round there wouldn’t think twice – esp if there is one OP and four guys on bikes FFS.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

GW if you’ve no idea what labyrinth is like why are you spouting off ?

Labyrinth is a very long uppy/downy twisty trail with the trees very close on either side. And normally Swinley is very busy with MTBers at the weekend. Im surprised you can actually fit a MX bike down it.

A MXer would nt be going down it kinda on the half chance no one would notice or mind. And therefore they are unlikely to be reasonable if you point out it might be better if they went somewhere else. Probably because there might not be that many other places for them to go now adays.

GW
    Free Member

not naive at all. I’d simply feel better to have at least tried rather than do **** all the time then run off to the internet to whinge about it.

cinnamon_girl

We are talking of a densely populated area here but the mx’ers original area was designated as SSSI by English Nature so they were turfed out. It looked like scrubland but sometimes environmental concerns over-ride common sense!

I can well understand if the mx’ers feel hacked off when they see the mtb’ers acquiring more and more trails. They have been ignored and treated badly, there is very little sanctioned trails for them in the vicinity but I do stand to be corrected!

GW
    Free Member

scu98rkr – ta for the trail description but sorry, I can’t make head nor tail of any of the rest of your rambling after that.

think I answered your first question in my last post. 😉

cinnamon_girl

GW – there are enough signs telling them to keep out! But I do take your point and often I will have discussions with folk when I’m out and about. We can all listen and learn a lot but us ladies tend to have excellent diplomatic skills. 😉

scu98rkr
    Free Member

ladies tend to have excellent diplomatic skills.

Bit like GW …

Sum
    Free Member

IME the MX’ers at Swinley frequently come from the pikey estate on the other side of the MOD land. They can turn nasty even if you politely tell them that they’re not supposed to ride on the singletrack. If the OP was on his own then I’d advise ringing the Ranger (or MOD if the OP was riding Barbarossa).

slimjim78
    Free Member

it’d take more than 4 mx’ers to take me down.

if i come across em they’ll be leaving with their exhaust pipes shoved up a rather uncomfortable place.
    and fewer teeth.

FMXers.

sc-xc

The few I have ever met have always been nothing but courteous. But then again, I’m not an internet tough guy.

njee20
    Free Member

**Hopes Slimjim comes across some MXers to exercise his internet tough guy credentials**

I’m surprised they could fit down there! Shame they were no unfortunate clothes-lining incidents on low branches, have to say I’d not be confronting them in a 4:1 situation like that, if nothing else they’ll be wearing far more ‘protection’ than your average MTBer, can get away quicker, and are more anonymous. Not really one the side of the cyclist…

GW
    Free Member

mini bikes bars are both lower and narrower than mtbs (especially currently fashionably wide bars)

slimjim78
    Free Member

bring it on mofo’s.

you guys = lame

mattbee

Dodn’t be confrontational with them, make it look like you ate on their side.
    Portsdown hill just outside Portsmouth is a SSSI, and also the hill my main workplace is under.
    Whenever I see MX bikes on the hill, if I can get close enough to them to speak, I just tell them the police/ranger seems to be looking for them, as they have just asked me if I’ve seen the guys on illegal MX bikes. Most will thank me before buggering off, those who don’t still tend to make themselves scarce.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think you might have heard me behind you 😳

I had taped some strips of cardboard onto my seatstays so they rubbed against the spokes and gave me an engine-type sound – just trying to recapture my youth…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had taped some strips of cardboard onto my seatstays so they rubbed against the spokes and gave me an engine-type sound – just trying to recapture my youth…

”Caution, this product contains extreme awesome”

slimjim78
    Free Member

great idea mattbee

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fingerbike – I guess this is how some horse riders and walkers feel about us! 😉

BTW – I saw a bunch of guys on mini quad bikes in the bombholes near the top of Deliverance on Leith Hill. Didn’t bother me, but they looked very shifty and guilty when I came passed!!

fingerbike
    Free Member

Cheers Ewan, numbers noted for the future. 🙂
    Hey GW, thanks for the kind encouragement, I’m a 5’7″ 9.5 stone chap, and have heard too many bad things about stopping to confront these guys who know they are in the wrong, and have also in the past been on the wrong end of big persons proving how hard they are by attacking someone smaller than them to start encouraging it.
    With hindsight I might have said something like Mattbee suggested but that opportunity didn’t really come up, whilst on the Labrynth I only really thought of getting to the end to get out of their way.
    Very true Hurtmore, i’ve helped with the maintenance of that trail a few times in the past so it’s quite annoying to know its getting churned up by MX bikes.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘MX Bikes in Swinley again.’ is closed to new replies.