Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Mudguards/ crud catchers
  • SamuelLam
    Free Member

What’s wrong with mudguards or crud catchers on the trail? I saw loads of fellow cyclists today spraying muck up their backs. Other than falling and breaking them, is it not cool to be practical?

GW
    Free Member

they’re probably a bit useless on the trail TBH

sc-xc

They are as unnecessary as helmets.

* 8) *

snowpaul
    Free Member

I used to loathe rear mudguards and just do the ‘cut off army goretex trousers into shorts method’ BUT I got a set of cycraguards as a gift and they are superb.

I did a monster 3 day lakeland trip off road and they were a true ace bit of kit

massive convert now

paul

IanMmmm
    Free Member

I fall off a lot – especially in the mud and snow, but I’ve never broken my mudguard – they’re more durable than you think. I’ve got one of those Crud Race guards, which is pretty flexible.

goog
    Free Member

mudguards and crud catchers make one look ghey

HTH

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They keep the wet and mud from spraying up your back and in your eyes. Whats not to like?

Its much better than being a fashion victim

househusband

Far from it, Gary.

mooman
    Free Member

all my mtbs have a bodge of an old innertube zip-tied between stanchions. Who cares what it looks like, as long as it keeps the sh1t off my face.
    The rear crud is well used also.

SamuelLam
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Northwind

People who don’t want to use one convince themselves they’re not effective 😉 They can be quite hard to fit effectively on full suss bikes though.

nickc

Getting wet isn’t really much of problem really.

Northwind

nickc – Member

“Getting wet isn’t really much of problem really.”

Well that depends doesn’t it. If you’re out for hours in sub zero conditions, getting soaked is not helpful. Getting mud in your eyes or on your glasses on a fast descent can be a bit of a downer too. All in all I prefer mudguards to sudden blindness and trenchcock.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Getting wet isnt an issue. Putting your Camelbak on caked in and stinking of manure is 🙁

While treating mine yesterday to a full strip down, found some old Topeak mudguards, out came the Dremel and hey presto. The rear one is to stop all the crud from jamming up my front mech which it does on a regular basis. Ive had a Neoguard on the front and a MuckyNutz, both have their negatives, but will have to see how effective these new one prove to be.

I also have a Cyclaguard on the downtube and a Crud Catcher off my seatpost…..superdry practicality all the way 🙂 Bike weighs 43 lbs though!!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My HT has both, for wet, winter rides. My 5 has both, for wet winter rides.
    After 20 years of MTBing, do you really think I give a **** about wot I look like? I care much more about how I feel.
    A soggy, muddy, sore arse is very avoidable.
    (speaking from experience)

epicyclo

People who don’t use mudguards walk around looking like they have cacked their breeks.

And considering the amount of dog and horse exhaust on the trails, they probably have.

snowpaul
    Free Member

echo the above comments – if just out for an hour or 2 blast then you can ‘ live ‘ with a wet gritty butt – however if you are out 4 – 6 – 10 hrs a grit / wet free butt is a lot nicer and helps prevents soreness especially if doing day after day…

agree they do look a bit special…

paul

samuri
    Free Member

I fitted some to my pompino commuter earlier this year.

Prior to fitting I was of the opinion that mudguards were noisy, awkward, made changing tubes difficult, ridiculous looking, fragile, crap at their job and got in the way.

Now I’ve fitted them I’ve had all these views reinforced except for the ‘crap at their job’ one. They really do keep an amazing amount of crap off you.

I still don’t see the benefit unless you need to keep yourself clean for something like going in a smart cafe or wearing the same clothes when you’re riding home/the next day. If you’re doing the same ride no matter what the conditions or the length of time, ho hum. It’s a wet/cold bum or some mud. If the weather is adverse then you’ll have much bigger issues to deal with.

I’d say the only one I’d fit under non-commuting conditions is a down tube type where the bike has a slim tube but only because some mud can spray on my glasses.

cynic-al
    Free Member

” is it not cool to be practical ?”

nailed it in the OP.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The mudguards on my bikes are not noisy, awkward,no difference to changing tubes, don’t care what they look like, they don’t get in the way and they just work

pixelmix
    Free Member

Yeah, definitely not cool to be practical. Unless you are racing and the extra 150g bothers you, that is about the only reason.

I’ve just stuck the crud card on the seatpost of my full-sus for the first time in years. It was fitted to Mrs PixelMix’s bike, but it looks particularly wet out there today, and since I am heading out for over 3hrs, a dry(ish) back side would be nice. Normally I don’t bother, as a bit of spray isn’t a major pain, but since it has been raining for about 24hrs now, and there is melting snow around too, this could be a soggy one. If I was commuting I reckon I’d have something on a commute bike too.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I got completely soaked within 20 minutes of going out one too many times.
    I robbed the old crud guard off my old bike and no more wet backside! Whats not to like?

jonb
    Free Member

Stevo210 I have virtually the same on the front of my bike. Made from the same guard.

People think they look rubbish, which they often do when they are full sussers as you need to allow travel clearance. On a hardtail mounted closer they look much better. Still, I always assume people who ride without guards don’t ride that much. I’d get through kit too quickly if it was permanently wet and muddy it would also be uncomfortable if you are out for more than a couple of hours.

There is definately a market for acceptable looking guards, look how popular the raceguards became with roadies in one winter.

thepodge
    Free Member

I like the home made one above, I have an old inner tube ziptied to the frame to reduce the amount of crap thrown at the front mech and pivot area and I’m looking at modding my old crud guard and mounting it off the seat stays

fily5bellies
    Free Member

Front guards like a crud-catcher/neoprene splash stopper mean you can see where you’re going in the wet/muddy conditions so what’s not to like about that? I really think rear guards are ugly but I do use one in the depths of winter. Other times, waterproof shorts do the job.

cookeaa

front crud catcher and an old inner tube to stop forwards spray but I don’t bother with a rear guard not that I think it would be ineffective but I know I’d clatter it and find it annoying on the trails. plus goretex shorts keep my arse dry….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How do you know you would clatter it and find it annoying?

iainc

My HT has both, for wet, winter rides. My 5 has both, for wet winter rides.
    After 20 years of MTBing, do you really think I give a **** about wot I look like? I care much more about how I feel.
    A soggy, muddy, sore arse is very avoidable.
    (speaking from experience

I could not put it better, therefore I won’t ! 😛

fork mounted Topeak defender 2 and matching rear on the rock lobster

fork mounted SKS and matching rear on 5.

Also, I wear specs to see so don’t like them any more covered in crap than they have to be.

I’ve got crud catcher stylee Zefal road ones on my Jake the Snake too !!

eshershore
    Free Member

I run a Crud Catcher on the downtube and a neoprene RapidRacer guard on the fork (between crown and fork brace)

brilliant combination that keeps 95% of the wet and crap from sprayed all over me

never found the nead for a rear mudguard on my mountain bike as I wear a waterproof cycle jacket which seems to keep me from getting wet

Stevo210
    Free Member

Well a few of us went out yesterday and I put my new mudguards through their paces. After a couple of miles we hit some super claggy mud (through a field) the wheels came to a complete standstill as the mud jammed in between the guard and wheel, way too close to the tire, be perfect for the road.
    Not entirely a success. After 10mins of shoving a stick down to clear the mud I got going again.
    They have now been removed 🙁 back to the neoguard!!!!!

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Funnily enough, when I saw the photos my first thought was that it can’t be too muddy round your way if you can get away with that little clearance.

I always found Crud Catchers to be pretty ineffective as they don’t stop the mud flying up off the front tyre and into your face. I sometimes use one of those neoprene jobbies that go between the brace and the crown as they do seem to keep a fair bit off your face, but that’s it.

hainman
    Free Member

+1 for the mudguards.i had crohns so my immune system is a wee tad wonky just now so anything that helps keep me dry(ish) will help keep colds and the like at bay and keep me out cycling longer.also just purchased some softshell trousers and they keep you dry and toasty in the wet!!!

Waderider
    Free Member

I’m of the opinion, from personal observation, that people without ‘guards don’t cycle as much in all weathers. Not always true, but a fair generalism I think.

Non-mudguard part-time biking softies. 😆

MentalMickey
    Free Member

househusband – Member

Far from it, Gary.

Seconded, I use crud guard on the rear combined with a crud catcher on the downtube and a mucky nutz fender bender 2.0, this combo works brilliantly.

Stevo210
    Free Member

haha, MuckyNutz refitted……kept me out of trouble for an hour while I was making the others.

I guess a lot of though went in to how these work. I just dont like how all the crap gets stuck underneath the mass of velcro straps and creates a sandpaper effect on my forks, same with the neoguard 🙁

emac65
    Free Member

jonb – Member
    Still, I always assume people who ride without guards don’t ride that much.

Funny,I always assume the exact opposite & see people who ride with guards as occasional riders.That’s why the thought of mud & water coming into contact with them bothers them so much…

Stevo210
    Free Member

Its funny, cos I actually to some degree think getting muddy is all part of the fun. But riding for hours on end soaking and stinking of cow crap, kinda puts me off a little.
    But if I was commuting everday, it would have more guards then necessary!!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards/ crud catchers’ is closed to new replies.