Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • MTB riding with a gun…
  • arthurcrabstick
    Free Member

What do you carry?

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/what-gun-carry-rides-765016.html

Sorry if this has already been done……

mrflaky
    Free Member
    nick3216
    Free Member

You are Gary Klein and I claim my £5

yunki
    Free Member

guns.. pah..

guns are skills compensators.. steel is real maaaaan

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Perfect for the Wild West (Yorkshire):

PlopNofear
    Free Member

This guy killed two people when two guys tried to mug him on his bike. Only in America…

mark85xc
    Free Member

I personally carry a titanium battle-axe with a carbon fiber handle for AM rides, a pair of Japanese katanas for XC (the Japanese make the BEST bike weapons), and a full on jousting lance for DH.

😀

njee20
    Free Member

This guy killed two people when two guys tried to mug him on his bike. Only in America…

From the article:

The Berks County coroner’s office

I had to double check it wasn’t ‘our’ Reading 😕

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Yeah, when I first read it I had to google the Newspaper.

thomthumb
    Free Member

tec 9 and a hand grenade.

epicyclo

nealglover
    Free Member

PlopNofear – Member

He killed one.

But who’s counting ?! :mrgreen:

AlexSimon

I had to double check it wasn’t ‘our’ Reading

I know! – I started assuming it was US and was typically blase in my dismissal of all those nutjob Americans, then for a second when it mentioned Cumru, I thought – “Jesus! This happened over here!”

Then the world returned to normal 🙂

verticalclimber
    Free Member

mp5 here!!

oh sorry thought this was the COD forum

mrblobby
    Free Member

police decided to release the man and charge the juvenile.

Interesting. Doubt that would happen over here… but then he probably wouldn’t have been carrying a gun and would probably still be lying in some intensive care unit (if he’s lucky) having been given a good kicking by a few youths. The bike would probably be later found on gumtree going for a few quid.

z1ppy

epicyclo, WTF is that picture from? The URL give nothing away, but it look like an outtake from Mr & Mrs Smith.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My Gentleman’s Gentleman follows me in the old jalopy, carrying a pair of William Evans, what what!

dave360

are Rugers made in Japan?

zoota

Don’t know about guns but my home made hunting catty and 10 .44 cal lead shot are always in the side pocket of my hydration pack especially when biving but iv yet to use it for any thing as my Bivi buddy is a police man so poaching is a no no when he is around lol

busydog
    Free Member

I have to confess to carrying my .45 in a fannypack when biking solo in the more remote mountain areas of New Mexico and Colorado–mostly in case of the very rare encounter with a bear or cougar (which I might never see coming anyway). Never thought about it for the unruly youth element–mostly because I am in such remote places the young thugs likely wouldn’t even know how to get there and are too lazy to try.

jonba
    Free Member

.45 in a fannypack when biking solo in the more remote mountain areas of New Mexico and Colorado–mostly in case of the very rare encounter with a bear

whatcha gonna do to the bear with that other than piss it off?

busydog
    Free Member

Have a better chance with the .45 than with a stick. Not likely to happen anyway, but does give a sense of comfort I suppose (even if a false sense). Or like a guy I knew when working in Alaska, you can always use it to shoot yourself just before the barren ground grizzly closes the last 10 yards

enfht
    Free Member

fannypack

😐

andyl
    Free Member

enfht – Member
    😐

go on and 😆

you know you want to!

busydog
    Free Member

Yeah, it does sound funny when I read it back

Northwind

I used to have this chat with american motorbike owners who thought they should carry. All it comes down to is that you’re seriously unlikely to ever need a gun while on a bike, but considerably more likely to fall off your bike and land on your gun and injure yourself. (those guys were dead keen on large calibres in small-of-back carries. Go on, strap an anvil to your spine)

Bear spray is better against bears than even a large firearm, never mind a compact pistol which is at the bottom of your camelbak.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Hold on mr mountain lion while I get my gun out.

UseItorLoseIt

When I was riding in Montana in the summer, I heard the odd comment saying carry a gun – to defend against bears. I said wouldn’t know what to do with it, and as said here more likely to hit my own leg. Plus think of the extra weight on the bike.

Northwind

Apparently, the odds of being injured by a bear if you try and defend yourself with a gun are around 50%, whereas the odds of being injured by a bear if you use bear spray are bugger all.

hofnar
    Free Member

Depends where you live and how good your shot is.

Have lived in South Africa for a while had several attempted robberies in that time whiles out riding. Most of them you saw coming and I used to rely on my kick to accelerate away or dive in between traffic on the road. When I got fatter and slower strapped pepper spray to my handlebars.

Have friends who got stabbed, have friends who lost several teeth or got nicely roughed up wouldn’t blame them to cary a gun.

Though the muggers will only bring out bigger firepower one guy got shot of his bike long range. Some others defended themselves and shot assailants biker did time for murder even if it was self defence.

Not everywhere is as safe as uk countryside.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Why only carry one?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=254056&v=al

When the stall holders became aware of my desire to have my photo taken with a gun, an assault rifle was pulled from beneath a table and thrust into my arms. It was described as the ‘perfect tool for shootin’ cans.’ The subtlety of it passed me by. Rich later explained cans were not soda or bean cans but Mexi-cans and Afri-cans. Ignorance is bliss.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I pack either a locking or fixed knife. I have no delusions of survial, but perhaps I can leave my mark when assulted. also useful to cut cheese.

😆

scraprider
    Free Member

“After consulting with Adams, police decided to release the man and charge the juvenile”.
    that made me giggle a bit.

maccruiskeen

Who needs a fire arm when one has ones bombers and ones guns

*kisses biceps*

tomhoward

12 gauge. Bar mounted.

Sam

I’ve always liked the idea of urban fox hunting on bikes with pistols…

jonba
    Free Member

Going on for ten years ago now 4 friends and I spent a summer in Canada canoeing the Mackenzie River. It’s remote, really remote we went for weeks without seeing any sort of civilisation and even when we got to civilisation it was a bit like “Deliverance” and I was listening for the sound of a banjo. Anyway, we met a group of Americans paddling the river as well. They thought it was amazing that we didn’t have any form of firearm given we were in “Bear Country”. They had 2 rifles a selection of handguns and an electric fence and warning system in place every night. We had a single skin tent for pretection. It never occured for us to have guns as people who grew up in towns in England we wouldn’t have the skills to actually shoot dead a bear coming at us so figured we’d be a liability to each other.

If people were shooting at me while riding my bike I think I’d move to a nicer part of the world…

DezB
    Free Member

Ha! Just a little pistol?
    I ride packed, dude!

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve spent a lot of time in America working and a lot of guys used to bring concealed firearms into work. Despite it being a pretty nice suburban area.

It’s just a different culture out there not only in the protection from gangsters scene but also they have quite a few more animals that like to nom on humans!

GrahamS

— from http://www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com (Carlton Reid)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘MTB riding with a gun…’ is closed to new replies.