Viewing 24 posts - 201 through 224 (of 224 total)
  • MTB Hazards : Dogs
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hello?

Can’t be bothered no more.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

tag!

cya

kilo

Another interesting point, if you cycle on footpaths (which I do, on occassion) you are committing trespass, then this one kicks in:

A person is not liable under section 2 of this Act for any damage caused by an animal kept on any premises or structure to a person trespassing there,

irresepctive of trespass could you point me to the legal ruling / Act defining a public footpath as a “premises or structure” for this to kick in and where it states that a dog on a pavement is being “kept” there

gwaelod
    Free Member

Taff Trail is funny…for some reason the owners and the dogs frequently decide to walk on opposite sides of the trail.

Usually it goes like this…”ting ting”..dog and owner turn around and see bike. Dog owner calls dog…across the trail in front of the slowing bike. Dog looks at owner calling and looks at bike and thinks..”there’s a bike coming…but owner wants me – I’ll wait until bike goes past then go and see what owner wants”. Owner gets more and more agitated calling the dog…dog gets more and more stressed…wanting to go to owner, but not wanting to cross in front of bike….Me and my bike get slower and slower as I know damn well if I try to ride through it will be a millisecond after the dogs obedience to it’s owner instinct eventually overrides it’s sense of self preservation and it decides to make a break for it. Occasionally it ends up as a mexican standoff…Irate owner shouting at a dog who refuses to cross in front of a now trackstanding cyclist.

Of course if the owner were to just cross the road to the dogs side when they heard a bike bell there wouldn’t be a problem. Dogs are quite intelligent…certainly when compared to Dog owners.

By the way have we done those 30foot long cyclist garrotting dog leads yet?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dogs are quite intelligent…certainly when compared to Dog owners.

🙂

CountZero

Just run them over they soon learn (best avoid the bigger ones with short legs unless you have a 160mm FS bike)

As for knocking a cyclist off, if you rammed a car because it was in the way, would you expect the car driver to pay for the damage to you and your bike? If you ram a dog, you are going to end up with a very large bill (in the thousands, as vets aren’t cheap) and the excuse ‘it didn’t move’ isn’t going to hold you in very good stead.

If someone cycled into my dog, because it was in the way it would be *their* fault.

A frightened dog that runs into your path is not out of control, merely startled and confused.

What is all this drek about ‘riding into’ or ‘ramming’ dogs? Nobody on a bike is going to deliberately ride at a dog, the rider will almost inevitably be bought off the bike and injure themselves, probably more than the dog. Being rammed by an out of control dog off a lead coming at you at a dead run from the side when you’re not expecting it will result in injury. I have run over a dog, riding a section of Sustrans route along the edge of a playing field after sunset. I had lights on, and I couldn’t see a soul about, but as I passed a carved stone seat about five feet off the path to my left I caught a white blur out of the corner of my eye and the next second I was nearly thrown over the bars. Somehow, God knows how, I stayed upright and heard a yelp from whatever it was I hit, and a shriek from a female and a bloke shout something. I kept going, but at no time had I seen anybody there, as it was nearly dark, so how, exactly, could I be responsible for ‘ramming’ a dog that shot out of nowhere with no warning, when the owners were there, and obviously not paying attention to and controlling their dog?

Of course if the owner were to just cross the road to the dogs side when they heard a bike bell there wouldn’t be a problem. Dogs are quite intelligent…certainly when compared to Dog owners.
    By the way have we done those 30foot long cyclist garrotting dog leads yet?

Don’t get me started on these sort of idiots. I always ring my bell coming up behind people, (which once startled a horse and nearly unseated the rider), but the number of people who don’t pay attention, tell me I have to get off and push my bike past their damned mutt, or tell me to slow down when I’m barely going fast enough to actually get past them is beyond counting. I actually had one person tell me I was going too fast when they had their back to me and I was trackstanding saying “excuse me, please”, after they’d ignored my bell, and their dog was wandering about right in front of my bike. How can a stationary cyclist be going too fast? I’m not going to quote laws or anything, but I know the rights and wrongs of controlling dogs in a public place, and a busy Sustrans Route alongside a canal is no place to have two or three large dogs off their leads roaming around where there are many small children about, as well as peds and cyclists. This is common bloody sense, which all to many dog owners seem to leave in a mug by the side of the bed when they get up in the morning. And as for the excrement…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Count – call out to horse riders – for some reason bells almost always spook horses.

anagallis_arvensis

horses, dont get my started on horses, “your bikes scaring my horse”, “slow down” “just come past it scares my horse you being behind me” “ring a bell” “dont ring a bell it scares my horse” “Your dog is scaring my horse” as she litterally was quivering in a ditch as this bloody great horse jumped about like a looney now if people think dogs are dumb, those bloody things……

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah – so the boots on the other foot when its not your beloved mutt?

Hypocrisy?

falkirk-mark

Really, some people should not be allowed outdoors after reading this thread

donsimon
    Free Member

Hypocrisy?

And what would TJ know about hypcrisy?

bruk

6 pages to essentially say ‘Do unto others as you would have done to you’

Show bit of courtesy, slow down when around dogs as most of them are as bright as TJ and may ram you because they want to go about life unbothered by others or are on the hot scent of a squirrel and can’t hold 2 thoughts in their tiny brain.

If your dog is wandering around ask it to sit/stay as will provide a stationary traget for TJ et al.

Live and let live.

All that is wrong with society today is knowledge of our rights and forgetfullness of our responsibilities.

(copyright sleep deprivation and nice bottle of Shiraz)

johnny_met
    Free Member

It’s pointless trying to discuss these issues with some dog owners as it is their beloved pet. They are usually the sort who would rather donate to an animal charity than a children’s one. You really can’t reason with that logic.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s pointless trying to discuss these issues with some dog owners as it is their beloved pet. They are usually the sort who would rather donate to an animal charity than a children’s one. You really can’t reason with that logic.

I think you’ll find that when using sweeping generisations, the few exceptions will step out of the shadows and defend themselves.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The calm, well trained ones mostly ignore me cycling but feel no obligation to make way – I suspect they get this behavior from observing the same behavior of their owners. I just pass them slowly.

Young dogs sometimes freak out, so I usually get off the bike, put it down then walk away so it can examine the bike. The sooner they get used to bikes, the better for everyone.

Little yappy, bity, insane dogs – there’s no saving them. I’m always tempted to kick them into next week (but I don’t).

trailmonkey

Usually it goes like this…”ting ting”..dog and owner turn around and see bike. Dog owner calls dog…across the trail in front of the slowing bike. Dog looks at owner calling and looks at bike and thinks..”there’s a bike coming…but owner wants me – I’ll wait until bike goes past then go and see what owner wants”. Owner gets more and more agitated calling the dog…dog gets more and more stressed…wanting to go to owner, but not wanting to cross in front of bike….Me and my bike get slower and slower as I know damn well if I try to ride through it will be a millisecond after the dogs obedience to it’s owner instinct eventually overrides it’s sense of self preservation and it decides to make a break for it. Occasionally it ends up as a mexican standoff…Irate owner shouting at a dog who refuses to cross in front of a now trackstanding cyclist.

absolutely spot on 😀

Bagstard
    Free Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrgghh!

Please make it stop!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Apparantly it has a life of its own now!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

rangeroy
    Free Member
    anagallis_arvensis

If he can ride round the dog I see no reason why TJ cant!!

That race is mental, get that wrong and it would be a world of pain!!

donsimon
    Free Member

If he can ride round the dog I see no reason why TJ cant!!

Haven’t you worked that one out yet?

Lifer
    Free Member

I think all this is down to me. When I’m out on the bike and get approached by dogs I usually stop and say hello, give them a bit of a pat, chat to the owner then carry on. So when they’re running at all of yous they just think ‘It’s that friendly bloke on the bike! More attention!’ rather than ‘KILL’.

Sorry.

Viewing 24 posts - 201 through 224 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘MTB Hazards : Dogs’ is closed to new replies.