Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • MP3/WMA/ etc ……. which is best?
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

I’d like to put good quality music files on my new samsung galaxy player. As it uses micro SDs space is not too much of a problem as I’m happy to swap SDs if my music collection is too much for one. But which format is best bearing in mind I haven’t got the hearing of a 10 year old (Too many metal gigs over the years). It can use MP3/AAC/WAV/FLAC (lossless)/WMA/OGG/AMR.

disco_stu
    Free Member

you’ve forgotten atrac? 😀

i think high bit-rate mp3’s would be the best

Jamie
    Free Member

Well Flac will sound the best as is lossless.

You probably will not be able to tell the difference between that and a -V0 lame encoded *.mp3 tho, which will be about 1/4 to 1/3 the size.

Cougar

… and playable on everything.

RichPenny
    Free Member

WAV is the best, but not that practical due to size. Why not rip a few different tracks to WAV, FLAC and lame MP3 and see if you can tell the difference?

plop_pants
    Free Member

So MP3 with Variable Bit Rate at 100% maybe?

ivixxiv
    Free Member

I DJ (professionally) and mostly use WAV as I find it the best; Only problem is file size a ten-minute track comes out around 60mb but your track quality is 1411 kbps

martymac

remember that any difference in quality will barely be noticable through the speaker in a phone.
    +1 for wav .

Conqueror
    Free Member

MP3 320 flat… for the simple reason it’ll play on anything and be compressed to some extent

I used to dabble in FLAC and Ogg… But then when I wanted to move it to another device it was a case of converting it to another format sometimes..

CountZero

ATRAC is Sony’s proprietary file format, so not worth even considering. AAC is higher spec than MP3, as it’s MP4, designed to be the replacement for MP3, FLACK is a lossless format, so if your devise can play it that’s the format I’d go for. I always use AAC at 320Kb, and the quality through a pair of Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10’s is easily as good as a CD, considering it’s a mobile I’m playing music on. However, those are £260 ‘phones, so anything around 260/320Kb is going to be more than good enough through a pair of average price ‘phones.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘MP3/WMA/ etc ……. which is best?’ is closed to new replies.