Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Moving to Nottinghamshire
  • TwirlipoftheMists

The wife and I are considering moving. Maybe to Nottinghamshire. Where’s nice around there and where should we avoid?
    Preferably near some decent riding and maybe the National Watersports Centre.
    I await your wisdom.

–Twirlip

Onzadog
    Free Member

Guess that depends a lot on your budget and whether or not you want easy access to the city. Do you need to park one car or two and how do you feel about living near students? Watersports centre is se of the city, the peaks are nw.

TwirlipoftheMists

Not sure really. Not sure what jobs are like there yet. Just wanted to get a feel for the nice bits and the bits to avoid.
    I’d prefer to be out of the city and, from the sound of it, to the north.

I’ve been to Ilkeston and I’d like to be some way away from there 🙂

iain1775
    Free Member

are you a drug runner?
    An arms dealer?
    Have a fetish for shiny pointy things called knives?
    like watching crap football?
    why on earth would you want to move to Notts ;D

Onzadog
    Free Member

Ha, I’m actually not not far from Ilkeston but I understand what you mean. We did a lot of looking around before we settled where we did. If you’ve got any specific questions, I’m have to help. I’ve got a gmail account with the same username if you want to drop me a line.

ChrisA
    Free Member

West Bridgford, Mapperley are both nice, if you don;t want to live in nottingham Ravenshead, Southwell, Fiskerton, and the villages around there are really nice

ebygomm
    Free Member

We live about 7 miles north of Nottingham. Ex-mining town, so cheap, but not as bad as some.

Easy journey into Nottingham, Peak district half an hour drive, nice countryside and riding straight from the doorstep.

If you’re richer there are some really nice villages roundabout, Ravenshead, Linby, Papplewick.

Lots of nice villages to the East of Nottingham, e.g. as mentioned Fiskerton, better for the watersports centre, harder to get to the Peak etc.

Used to live in Nottingham and although only 6 miles away from where we are now, journey to the peak was almost double.

Clembo
    Free Member

are you a drug runner?
    An arms dealer?
    Have a fetish for shiny pointy things called knives?
    like watching crap football?
    why on earth would you want to move to Notts ;D

Yep, all of nottingham is like that 🙄

uplink
    Free Member

You need to remember that everyone is called duck

TwirlipoftheMists

I’ve only been to Nottingham briefly. Two gigs and one pre-wedding shopping trip a few weeks ago. During those visits I wasn’t stabbed, shot or chopped up into pieces and mixed with speed. Plus the centre of the city seemed to have lots of good shopping and a pleasantly eclectic architecture. And trams.
    And it’s a lot nearer to the Peaks, Cannock, Sherwood Pines, and North Wales than Southampton where I currently reside.

robdob
    Free Member

I grew up around Southwell area. As a previous post said it’s nice round there, good schools nice countryside, easy to get to Peaks but houses aren’t cheap. There are a few villages that are more expensive than others, just depends on where you want to live in terms of closeness to a city or in the middle of nowhere.
    Can’t imagine why you would pick Nottinghamshire over Yorkshire though. I live in Huddersfield now and wouldn’t swap it back for all the tripe on Dewsbury market. Beat countryside, best towns, great transport.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Nottinghamshire’ is closed to new replies.