• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Moving Seat post – Orange 5
  • charlierevell
    Free Member

Hi all, running a Thompson post with the orange and its slipping about an inch when climbing.
    Im only guessing its the right size… it came with the bike!
    I've also put a hope clamp on as its a nicer clamp and a little more comfortable in the hand.

Any thoughts on what to do to stop it?

4ndyB
    Free Member

Orange 5 + Thomson post here with no probs.

Clean the post, add a little grease & clamp up tight

steve_b77
    Free Member

Take the post out, give the seat tube a good clean along with the post and apply some waterproof grease to the post.

Ensure the clamp is done up nice and tight too

saladdodger
    Free Member

eat less pies and do more exercise 😉

doubt if that is of any help

charlierevell
    Free Member

Hmmm…. its brand new. Cant see its all that dirty tho.
    Ill have a look at cleaning it up tho.

Carbon grease going to be a bit grippier?

clareymorris

Hmmm mine slips too……..don't have a hope clamp though was thinking of changint it! I don't want to have to do it up toooo tight as I do up and down it quite a lot!!!

charlierevell
    Free Member

Hope clamp has a nice brass bushing, I thought it would also be better on the leverage front. Still not tight enough tho!

saladdodger
    Free Member

Made for Pace

RC005 Carbon Composite Shield
    A small tub of blue goo to you, but a life changing synthetic suspension of friction increasing polymer globes as far as your sinking seatpost is concerned. A thin smear is enough to reduce clamping torque on carbon or alloy seatposts by up to 30%, minimising the risk of crush or cracking damage and keeping your seat height right for ride after ride.

Specification 80g
    100% fully synthetic. 30% reduction in
    clamping torque

charlierevell
    Free Member

Well done Andy…. I've got the finishline version ill give it a try when i wash it in a mo!

foxyrider
    Free Member

mine slipped with the oem clamp – got a nice salsa flip off and crank it up nice and tight and now sorted!

SpeedyG
    Free Member

My original clamp cracked but the hope one I replaced it with seems solid enough, make sure the clamp quick release is well lubed to help squeeze clamp tight – made a hell of a difference to ease of use on the clamp!

4ndyB
    Free Member

You do not need to lube the Hope clamps or skewers, the brass bush needs no lube, if you lube them they have a greater chance of coming undone.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Brass is supposed self lubricate, but it doesnt seem to be that smooth when mega tight. leads me to believe its not the clamping pressure that is the issue.

Del

Brass is supposed self lubricate

that is correct, but not necessarily true.
    do you you have a bit of tyre on the down tube too….?

grantway
    Free Member

Get in touch with Orange and talk to the Technical department very helpful.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Del – why would he want a piece of tyre on the downtube, that just looks rubbish… 😉

mah05
    Free Member

try a diffrent qr .a mate had the same problem with hope qr and thomson post on a 5 changed the qr now its sorted. they look nice the hope 1s but i have heard loads of people saying how there seat keeps droping. i havent had a problem with mine but i guess the lighter you are the better

hora
    Free Member

I use an old Thomson post, original OEM Orange QR and havent had any probs- as above clean and regrease?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Moving Seat post – Orange 5’ is closed to new replies.