Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Moving hydrolic brakes between bikes
  • Surfr
    Free Member

I'm about to tackle the transplant of components from my Merlin Malt hardtail to the Orange ST4 frame. Only problem is I've not worked with hydrolic brakes before and it looks as though I will have to break the hoses to feed them through the guides on the frame. There is a small slit in the guide but I doubt the cable would compress enough to fit in. How easy is it? will I need to bleed the system?

wwaswas

I tend to use cable ties if it's not a permanent thing.

– the ones with the slits tend to be for cables – you sure there's enough 'hole' for the brake hose?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You might get away without rebleeding – get the pistons part way out, split at the lever end, lever pistons back in to push any air bubble back into the master cylinder. Some brakes need new olives, some are reusable.

glenh
    Free Member

If you undo the hose from the lever end you may get away without bleeding once they are reassembled.
    A bleed afterwards would be best of course.

Surfr
    Free Member

Won't it spill when I'm threading it through the guides or do you bung the end with something?

soobalias
    Free Member

might find you need longer hoses on a FS?

probably worth the time to run a measure over the new frame before you begin.

Surfr
    Free Member

This is the variety of guide:

glenh
    Free Member

No it won't spill, unless there a way for air to get in to replace the oil (ie the bleed valve on the caliper is open).

I_Ache
    Free Member

There are only 2 are they not both for the gears? On the orange site all 3 cables/hose go down the down tube that looks like the top tube.

Is there a cable guide with m mounts on the down tube?

Surfr
    Free Member

Andy M not on the 2008 model which is what I have bought:

Front derailleur and rear brake routed on top tube:

http://www.orangebikes.com/2008bikes/st4-se.php

glenh
    Free Member

Good point. Looks like the brake hose goes on the down tube anyway (and just needs clips):

EDIT, I'm talking about the wrong year it seems

I_Ache
    Free Member

In that case buy a file or some of these.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1010

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Moving hydrolic brakes between bikes’ is closed to new replies.