Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Moving House – WHAT A NIGHTMARE IT IS!!!!!! Tips for De-Stressing Please?
  • romster
    Free Member

The missus is organising everything while i kinda run round with a screwdriver not really doing much to be honest. (hence me brewing up and coming online for 10mins)!!

Attempted to take a wardrobe down which collapsed and resulted in the entire thing exploding all over the bedroom making it un-usable in our new home. (SIGH)!

Man I am never doing this again!!!

Apart from cracking the multibox of Magners open, any idea's on how to calm the whole stress thing down??? 🙂 Answers on a postcard please!

Romster

ojom
    Free Member

Just accept you are powerless and make the most of the situation.

Focus on the end not the means.

molgrips
    Free Member

Good luck mate. One of my most hated jobs.

My best advice is scrimp and save until you can pay someone.

tegski
    Free Member

+1 for the pay someone else! Last move the packers came in and did the whole house in a day! We even paid for unpacking ladies for all of the kitchen/dining stuff so that we could relax at the new place and enjoy it rather than having to unpack to eat etc. Don't regret spending any of this money now!!!
    Sorry can't help, except to suggest look forward to the new place! Find a positive carrot ie go out when you get there to explore to new local!

odannyboy
    Free Member

youve broken a wardrobe and your stressed out?
    what about the searches, finding a new property, agents, time wasters, gazzumping and new morgage papers fees.fees and more fees.etc etc.
    missus do all that perhaps?

ski
    Free Member

missus do all that perhaps?

Bet she bought the Magners too

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

You can fix your wardrobe with some brass plates, dowel and araldite.

I've moved house every two years my entire life, best bit of advice I have is detach yourself from the uncncious "I can't pack that I'll need it" nags and make a bag/box up of essentials in the style of camping out so that you have everything to support yourself for three days without getting stressed about which box it was in etc.

When you get to the new house, first thing to do is make up your bed- then you have somewhere to flop down in at the end of a very stressful day.

grim168
    Free Member

We left a few bits to move on the last day in our old house.Rest was in storage. Didnt realise how a "few bits" could fill two cars 🙄

romster
    Free Member

Bet she bought the Magners too

Hell yeh!! I have her very well trained 😉

SUCCESS!! Took the triple wardrobe down un-damaged woohoo!!

Calamity photo's to follow……

joemarshall
    Free Member

Paying someone to pack really is worth it. Saves you days of work – they just come on the day and sort it all out. 150 quid well spent – I'd never do it myself again.

Joe

romster
    Free Member

Based on the comments – next time i'm paying someone!!!!

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

MTFU

try having your wife admitted to hospital on the day you move out and your 18month old daughter sent home ill from nursery the next day when you move in.

romster
    Free Member

Wow, easy tiger – bit of un-necessary aggression then boyo.

Although i can relate re sprog.

My 15month's cutting two monster molers at the minute which just adds insult to injury…

ski
    Free Member

Talking of streess romster

2nd from last move I did, the removal firm double booked us and backed out on the day of the move!

Had to hire a van a bribe a few friends to help me move, cat went awol, found and returned the next day thank God otherwise the Mrs would have killed me, my fault you see.

Then when we got to our new place, the estate agent rang to tell us the old owner had been a numpty and posted all the keys to the property through the letter box to the property!

Still it was a great stress reliever to break into my new home, with all the new neighbours looking on, thinking what the hell!

Mates still take the piss out of me on that one 😉

Hope it goes well for you….

romster
    Free Member

Now that sh1t is going to take some beating – i feel a hell of a lot better now after the last two posts…..maybe i do need to MTFU. lol

MAGNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERS!

freddyg
    Free Member

joemarshall – Member

….150 quid well spent – I'd never do it myself again.

Joe

Is that all it costs???!?!?!!

Why-oh-why didn't someone tell me?

<sits down as now has dust in eyes>

romster
    Free Member

hahahahaha – quality comment freddy! i'm with you on this one brother hence the Magners being opened 5 hours early!!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I was surprised at the £150!! Must be more? otherwise I will also pay them every time, I thought it was a fortune!!

BoardinBob

Last time I moved the removal company cancelled the day before 😕

No choice but to do it ourselves. To rub salt into the wounds I lifted the tv unit and the shelf fell out, landing on my toe and breaking it 😐

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends on the size of the house and quality of movers I suppose, but think about it – couple of unskilled labourers for a day – £150.

singletrackmind

I used to be a removal man.
    Please do not put all your books in the same box. It weigh alot and most probably collapse. Put a duvet or pillow in the top.
    Get lots of pack2 box's , tape, and a marker pen . Mark each box 1,2 ,3,4 etc,place corresponding A4 numbers on the doors of the rooms for each box.
    Do not try to unpack each box as fast as the removal men will unload them off the van. you will fail.
    Keep 1 box of essentials, like kettle, toaster , mugs and biccys in your car.
    Try to keep out of the way of the removal men.
    Book a restaurant for tomorrow night , so no worries about finding the plates / knives / bottle opener. You can sit down and have someone else do the cooking , as you will have been on your feet for 10 hours.
    Keep calm and carry on.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Moving House – WHAT A NIGHTMARE IT IS!!!!!! Tips for De-Stressing Please?’ is closed to new replies.