Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Moving from SPD to flats
  • crotchrocket
    Free Member

So I’m thinking of moving from SPD to flats as I’m getting properly into the “gnaarrr” now.

I bought a proper freeride rig so I can hit big drops and skinnies and was wondering what length pins i should put in my flat pedals for the ‘right’ level of grip.

Ta

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So, you’re abandoning grip and asking how to achieve grip?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Whats wrong with the pins that come with the pedals? If you’re finding you’re feet are coming off try dropping you’re heels more?

crikey
    Free Member

Love it. The folk who use SPDs try to make them easy to get out of, like flats. The folk who use flats try to make harder for feet to slip off, like SPDs.

As you were…

coogan
    Free Member

Only fiddling with them yourself will you find which ‘length’ you prefer. I just popped them out the box and screwed mine into the cranks. Bosh! Off I rode, never worried about the pin ‘length’.

tpbiker
    Free Member

its all in the shoes…

jedi

foot position 1st. then heels , then personal prefernce for grip 🙂

bigbloke
    Free Member

Crotch………

I would say you should be more concerned about footwear/sole choice rather than pin length in my opinion. Had DMR V8 and V12 both had standard pins on current bike i have Nukeproof neutron also with standard pins. No problems with either of them the pins will bite into most soles , however i ride locally in some Salomon trail shoes which are fine mostly but if i wanted more “grip” at say a trail centre or mucky conditions then i would definitely be in my Five Ten shoes as the grip is superb in those i find. Or another “flat” riding shoe.

Just my opinion mind, based on only riding flats………as you know and mocked several times in the past 🙄

seosamh77
    Free Member

You don’t really need to much grip. More about manoeuvrability and foot position than grip imo.

paul9961
    Free Member

tpbiker – Member
    its all in the shoes…

I’d go along with that.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

and what pressure should I run in my bars?

Northwind

It really is not all in the shoes.

Most pedals come with sensible length pins as standard so don’t fret too much about that. Is anyone else thinking this thread smells a bit trolly btw?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Moving from SPD to flats’ is closed to new replies.