Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mountain biking in Leicester
  • Matta
    Free Member

I bike in Leicestershire around Switherland, woodhouse eves & Groby, not renowned for hills!!.
    Are there many others that are stuck in this void for local riding??

sparkerfix

I live near Ashby.There aint too much about. You could head over towards Ticknall. There's some half decent bridal way routes over there. Alternatively head Melton way,Belvoir etc. Try http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/index.htm for some ideas?

puddle-rider
    Free Member

In a few words not a lot!

I live in Rutland, we do have lots of bridleways but there generally pretty flat and there are few woods but certainly not enough to get excited about.

Sadly I have to travel, generally to the Peak District, Swinley, Sherwood, Shropshire and occasionally Wales, if you want to hook up some time give me PM.

Matta
    Free Member

Cheers for comments, Whales is great I know, I was looking for something out the door for evening/night rides. Just a change from my norm. 😕

Matta
    Free Member

Puddle.
    Cheers for the invite as well.
    If I plan a trip over Rutland I will give you a shout.

swampi
    Free Member

i am in LFE, leicester is good for bridleways and nice country roads, am sure you know your local woods and over in thringstone etc, so not the best place for wild mountain biking, luckily i am quite sad and like xc riding so its fine in my books

nosedive
    Free Member

I lived in Leicester for 20 years and there is only one realistic option. Move

_tom_
    Free Member

Bugger all round here really! Wish I went to uni in Sheffield so I could get to Wharncliffe/Peaks easily.

The only good thing to ride is Western Park tabletop jump track, unfortunately gets full of annoying kids/chavs when the weather is nice.

nosedive
    Free Member

funny you shoulf say that tom. I moved from Leics to Sheff so I could ride wharnecliffe and the dark peak! Its only an hour up the M1 you know….

Matta
    Free Member

Not fair that you have moved I need help here!! 😕

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah Wharncliffe isn't too far, but I hate that 50mph average speed bit cos of the roadworks, so frustrating to drive through!

DJTC
    Free Member

i have lived in a little village in leicestershire for over 9 years, the riding is awfull, lots of bridelways but they are jsut so boring, just mud and clay around the edges or plowed fields! i have wondered about swithland etc, is there anything half decent there?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I live in Anstey. Swithland, bradgate, beacon etc are all offlimits to bikes (officially) but there are a fair few cheaky trails if you know where to look. Leicestershire is all about xc, the faster you go the more it rewards you but on the whole it's pretty poor.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

around Loughborough always looked ok as it seems to have the only decent woods/hills for miles. rutland is ok to peruse the bike shop but the riding is massively overrated! if over rutland way, give me a shout, there are some extensions/alternatives near the beaten track. can email gps files if reqd.

Matta
    Free Member

Blazin-addles: There is a sneaky permissive bridal way down the side of old-John next to Bradgate park, that is a quick rocky, rooty descent.
    Switherland is meant to be off limits but there are some bomb holes as we call them, they are off any paths but we officially shouldn't be there but if not then it's like you say fields with clay! 😥

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

there is also some stuff through the woods at the top of the hill near whitwick

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Hey Sparkerfix, I live in Ashby too.

Local cross country riding is OK. Not too far to Cannock for something a bit better, and it doesn't take that long to get to Wales or Peaks from here.

sparkerfix

Yeah, we manage to string enough together for some decent entertainment. I prefer xc so i do quite enjoy trawling maps to link up bridleways. Favourite bits within riding distance have to be Ticknall way,Robins Wood etc.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking in Leicester’ is closed to new replies.